Level/Lift kits - did you reuse hardware?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Just wondered how many of you purchased new hardware for anything you had to remove to put the lift or level in? I never thought of it until I was reading the Ford Performance Fox kit instructions and I noticed that the kit comes with all new hardware for everything that has to be removed.

I don’t think the sway bar links or top of struts are a big deal, but I think replacing the tie rod end/ball joint nuts would be a good idea. Their instructions also say that you must discard the original CV axle nut and if you don’t torque the new nut in one continuous motion then you need to discard that one too.

I’m thinking of ordering two tie rod end nuts, two upper ball joint nuts and two CV axle nuts. I can get them all for about $60 so it may be worth it for peace of mind.
Sponsored

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
At the least, replace all nylock nuts when you come across them. I don't see why the axle nut needs replacing, but my Fox kit came with new ones, so all the used ones were discarded as per instructions (except two tabbed nuts at the top of the rear shocks).

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
At the least, replace all nylock nuts when you come across them. I don't see why the axle nut needs replacing, but my Fox kit came with new ones, so all the used ones were discarded as per instructions (except two tabbed nuts at the top of the rear shocks).
Can you tell me which nuts are nylocs on the truck? Which ones came with your Fox kit?

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I saw no point in tossing out all the old hardware and installing new hardware. The Fox kit doesn't come with it nor do they suggest it. Ford includes all new hardware in their Ford/Fox suspension, probably just to make more money off of it. I've been modifying vehicles my entire life and have never seen hardware replacement as a big deal. A tube of Loctite is probably $5 if a person is worried.

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Can you tell me which nuts are nylocs on the truck? Which ones came with your Fox kit?
I used three new nylocks (make sure you get the correct sizes) per side - upper ball joint, tie rod, and bottom of rear shock, all torqued to spec as per installation instructions. The kit included additional nylocks for upper end of rear shock, as well as bottom of front coilover, but as the upper rear shock nut had a welded tab (the included nylock didn't), and the coilovers came with their own nuts, these extras new nylocks in the kit weren't used.

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used three new nylocks (make sure you get the correct sizes) per side - upper ball joint, tie rod, and bottom of rear shock, all torqued to spec as per installation instructions. The kit included additional nylocks for upper end of rear shock, as well as bottom of front coilover, but as the upper rear shock nut had a welded tab (the included nylock didn't), and the coilovers came with their own nuts, these extras new nylocks in the kit weren't used.
Thanks for the info!

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2019 Jeep Rubicon on 37's
We reused everything.

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed my level I only removed the lower control arms and tie rods. I replaced the tie rod nuts (only because I had read that another member had one back out)....and used loctite on the upper and lower strut nuts. Rechecked all twice over a couple weeks and had no issues.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Had a reused nyloc nut almost back off completely when it was reused. Spend the $10 for new ones.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Had a reused nyloc nut almost back off completely when it was reused. Spend the $10 for new ones.
Hi NR,

It is alleged that Nyloc nuts can be reused several times. Even the FAA indicates they can be reused if torque of the fastener can be maintained. United States Air Force requires use of new Nyloc nuts each time for critical fasteners.

For OEM, I had a fastener engineer, Steve M that knew his stuff...he did most of the torque tension studies on new fastener applications in Ford Truck. He said that the OEM Torque Prevailing nuts were required to maintain Torque and Tension over a 5 cycle test. A cycle is to run the nut down to torque value on an strain gauged bolt and removed. This test is repeated 5 times and a pass is maintaining torque and joint tension.

However, I agree the best safety on critical fasteners it to use new hex nuts!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi NR,

It is alleged that Nyloc nuts can be reused several times. Even the FAA indicates they can be reused if torque of the fastener can be maintained. United States Air Force requires use of new Nyloc nuts each time for critical fasteners.

For OEM, I had a fastener engineer, Steve M that knew his stuff...he did most of the torque tension studies on new fastener applications in Ford Truck. He said that the OEM Torque Prevailing nuts were required to maintain Torque and Tension over a 5 cycle test. A cycle is to run the nut down to torque value on an strain gauged bolt and removed. This test is repeated 5 times and a pass is maintaining torque and joint tension.

However, I agree the best safety on critical fasteners it to use new hex nuts!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, I was hoping to get your input on this. Say you were to replace the struts in your own truck - would you replace all of the nuts you removed, or knowing about the 5 cycle test would you just Loctite, torque and recheck?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil, I was hoping to get your input on this. Say you were to replace the struts in your own truck - would you replace all of the nuts you removed, or knowing about the 5 cycle test would you just Loctite, torque and recheck?
Hi Adam,

I would most likely replace as a precaution for critical components. As far as locTite, I use only the red as I do not personally like the blue and if I had to reuse, I would use the red. If you use Loctite's clean and prime, blue would work, but my experience in building my race engines. I always used the red...I have a squeeze bottle of blue and it remains unused for any fastener jobs... JMO!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored