Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! What size crate would you recommend? My malinois is pretty large for the breed.
The Stationary 34" long should be fine, especially for a transport/vehicle crate. That is what I use and my Mals & Lg GSDs would have used it just fine. For in the home, for longer periods of time we use the 40" long. They also make a 40" long that is extra wide...and even a bigger one.
Sponsored

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure it's big enough for the dog to move around and stretch. Stay with the lighter colors because the darker colors will get hot in the sun and for a canopy make sure it is light colored to avoid absorbing the heat. And remember the asphalt in Vegas (or anywhere the temp heats up)gets very hot and only takes seconds to burn the dogs paws.I only have a 12 pounder but I always test the asphalt with the back of my head before I let her walk on it. Last summer we stepped out of a hotel at 10 o'clock in the morning and started across the parking lot and I looked back she sat down and I realized immediately what happened. I ran back and picked her up and it was too late because the bottom of her paws were already scorched. 10 seconds is all it took. I met a vet the other day who had a genuine service dog and I mentioned that to him and he told me he had special pads for the bottom of his dog for hot surfaces like that.
All great advice! I just got my dog some dog booties....more for Oregon rain (but also good for hot pavement. This will be fun trying those on!:LOL: I guess I am getting to be an ole' softy.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
All great advice! I just got my dog some dog booties....more for Oregon rain (but also good for hot pavement. This will be fun trying those on!:LOL: I guess I am getting to be an ole' softy.
From videos I've seen, dogs usually walk real funny at first with those booties on because they're trying to step out of them so you should have some good laughs and good videos for your memories. Good luck to you and stay safe and I hope your dog brings you many years of happy memories.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Funny.... I'm the exact opposite.
I travel around with my two dogs:
1. Aussie Shep / ACD Mix - 75lbs
2. Navajo Terrier (We got her off the res - no one really knows what the hell she is.) - 35lbs

For the first part of ANY journey they are bouncing around and leaving nose artwork inside the truck on the glass. Since most of the travel I do with them is local - to groomers, dog park, hiking, I throw their two crates in the back and strap them down with ratchet straps.

But occasionally we take longer trips and when that happens I'm usually at highway speeds and don't want them exposed to the elements that much so they ride in the back of the cab. They settle down and sleep for most of the journey after the initial 20 minutes of excitement is over.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
2. Navajo Terrier (We got her off the res - no one really knows what the hell she is.) - 35lbs

For the first part of ANY journey they are bouncing around and leaving nose artwork inside the truck on the glass. Since most of the travel I do with them is local - to groomers, dog park, hiking, I throw their two crates in the back and strap them down with ratchet straps.

But occasionally we take longer trips and when that happens I'm usually at highway speeds and don't want them exposed to the elements that much so they ride in the back of the cab. They settle down and sleep for most of the journey after the initial 20 minutes of excitement is over.
About ten years ago, I was making a trip from Toronto to my cottage on Prince Edward Island. I was taking my 12 year old golden retriever for one final trip there. He spent a ton of time at that place when I lived 1-1/2 hours away from it. I’m now twenty hours away, so I took the passenger seat out of my 2001 Ranger, by-passed the passenger sensor, removed those angled jump seats from the back, and built a level, carpeted platform that went from the passenger side floor heater vent to the rear of the SuperCab and wrapped around behind the driver’s seat. Talk about pampered luxury. What dog wouldn’t love that? He was old and I wanted to make him comfortable.

Wouldn’t you know it, he stood up, looking out the front window the whole trip. ??‍♂

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I use a harness and strap that connects to the LATCH point via carbineer when I'm hauling my 90 lbs Irish Setter on trips but that's always been in SUVs. I'll probably do the same in the Ranger though..

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
My other dog is a 9 year old Rottie/Lab mix She weighs in at 120#.

She is the sweetest dog I've ever owned (actually, she's ny 78 year old mother's dog, but, she can't take care of her any more). Mom never took her in the car, so, she is scared to death to go anywhere.

2014-03-18 22.21.49-1.jpeg

Oh yea, she only plays with logs ... ? my little pony ?

OP
OP
4X4 GGG

4X4 GGG

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I should clarify, besides the safety reasons we also take our two French bulldogs with us when we travel. There is not enough rough for 2 stinky Frenchies and him to sit comfortably for long trips.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Nose artwork! My new term!
Sponsored