Why synthetic blend oil?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
New guy here. I’ve been using Mobil 1 since the 1980s, and Rotella T6 for the past 10 years or so. Why is Ford using a synthetic blend instead of full syn in the Ecoboost? Is there some advantage other than cost-cutting?
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe cost but I go full synthetic.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The obly reason i can see Ford using synthetic blend oil is it has better capabilities compared to conventional oils. Now if you look in the owners manual it say you only need to put full synthetic oil in if you deal with below -20°F.also also it wont hurt for you to put full synthetic oil in the truck anyway as it has its already known benefits.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I was at the Ford dealer last week, having a trailer brake controller installed, I met the head technician and asked him about the semi-synthetic oil. His answer was that it was about cost, and that they would gladly use the approved Motorcraft full-synthetic at my request. Ford seems to make it impossible to purchase without going to the dealer, so I’ll probably have them do the oil change while I’m there buying the oil.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
New guy here. I’ve been using Mobil 1 since the 1980s, and Rotella T6 for the past 10 years or so. Why is Ford using a synthetic blend instead of full syn in the Ecoboost? Is there some advantage other than cost-cutting?
Are you running T6 in your GTDI truck? T6 is diesel oil and is not certified to meet API SN+ standards, different formulation and additives. also not sure I've seen it in the 5W30 weigh specified for our trucks. I'm using Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic.

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you running T6 in your GTDI truck? T6 is diesel oil and is not certified to meet API SN+ standards, different formulation and additives. also not sure I've seen it in the 5W30 weigh specified for our trucks. I'm using Rotella Gas Truck Full Synthetic.
Many VW diesels, and Caterpillar.

image.jpg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Just be sure to use oil that is rated API SN Plus Resource Conserving and/or DEXOS1 Gen Type 2 compliant oil to provide the best protection for the TGDI engine.

CAL_08

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I made the switch last year to synthetic and the dealership put in synthetic blend at my last last oil change. I didn't notice until I got home and am now concerned about switch from synthetic to synthetic blend. Any issues with switching back and forth with the two oil types?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I made the switch last year to synthetic and the dealership put in synthetic blend at my last last oil change. I didn't notice until I got home and am now concerned about switch from synthetic to synthetic blend. Any issues with switching back and forth with the two oil types?
Mobil 1 has already stated that this is ok as long as the Vehicle does not require full synthetic oil

CAL_08

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Mobil 1 has already stated that this is ok as long as the Vehicle does not require full synthetic oil
I see. My manual states that
I see. So no issues with going from synthetic to synthetic blend then huh? Rangers do not require synthetic and the blend is ok?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I see. My manual states that

I see. So no issues with going from synthetic to synthetic blend then huh? Rangers do not require synthetic and the blend is ok?
Correct, it states the full synthetic is only required at extremely low ambient temperature for starting but it is ok to switch for high heat protection as well if you want.
Sponsored