First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
After cleaning the truck this weekend I have noticed a horrible whistle from about 50mph to 75mph coming from the drivers side mirror. Apparently the mud was blocking the path thats allowing this now. If I put my finger under the plastic where it meets the door it stops. Im about to squeeze some silicone in that area but figured I'd see if anyone had another suggestion, besides covering it in mud again.

I was going to put some weatherstrip behind the plastic housing but I don't exactly know how to get the mirror off and don't want to break anything.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tyler

You might verify with some duct tape first to see it that really works. Any molding flash on the mirror? Sharp edges like that can create the whistle..... Not a problem with my mirror, and has not surfaced on these Forums, so must be something unique....Maybe the mirror is not tight?

You have to take off the interior trim and you will find fairly large attachment nuts behind the trim. Maybe something is not tight enough?

Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Hi Tyler

You might verify with some duct tape first to see it that really works. Any molding flash on the mirror? Sharp edges like that can create the whistle..... Not a problem with my mirror, and has not surfaced on these Forums, so must be something unique....Maybe the mirror is not tight?

You have to take off the interior trim and you will find fairly large attachment nuts behind the trim. Maybe something is not tight enough?

Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I actually just got back from a drive after taping all the gaps with electrical tape and removing them one by one while driving. Come to find out its the ford insert shown on the pic below. I guess thats where the puddle lamp would go?
Im about to silicone it in place closing up the gaps. Washing it must have loosened it up or something.
E571AD73-778D-41B6-967F-1491FF375234.jpeg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I actually just got back from a drive after taping all the gaps with electrical tape and removing them one by one while driving. Come to find out its the ford insert shown on the pic below. I guess thats where the puddle lamp would go?
Im about to silicone it in place closing up the gaps. Washing it must have loosened it up or something.
The puddle lights go in the mirror itself. Not sure what that is for.

That is very odd....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tyler,

I have this cover too. But mine is flush with the bottom of the arm.... have you tried to whack it with your fist to see if it pops back into place? Mine is loose to the touch but cannot be dislodged without prying it out. Must be an access to the mirror fold pivot and the mirror fold motor...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Hi Tyler,

I have this cover too. But mine is flush with the bottom of the arm.... have you tried to whack it with your fist to see if it pops back into place? Mine is loose to the touch but cannot be dislodged without prying it out. Must be an access to the mirror fold pivot and the mirror fold motor...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Mine wIggled a good amount. I took them off, loaded the inner lip with silicone, then ran a small amount of silicone along the seam after putting them back in. Theyre drying now so we’ll see how it does in a couple hours.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine wIggled a good amount. I took them off, loaded the inner lip with silicone, then ran a small amount of silicone along the seam after putting them back in. Theyre drying now so we’ll see how it does in a couple hours.
Hi Tyler

Hope it works....Sad that you had to do this though....wonder what is wrong with the OEM install at the mirror vendor plant.......

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Hi Tyler

Hope it works....Sad that you had to do this though....wonder what is wrong with the OEM install at the mirror vendor plant.......

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Problem solved fortunately. I went ahead and did both sides just in case. I’llmake a few calls when this covid stuff calms down and see if anyones aware of this.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
In cases like this on plastics I used butyl tape because talking about staying in place and seals, it will ! But it's not permanent. Sticky and messy, yes, but removable.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I have noticed it too, usually after a wash. Seems to go away when the truck dries out

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
I have noticed it too, usually after a wash. Seems to go away when the truck dries out
Mine had been dry for a few days so Im not sure why it didn't re-seal. So far so good though.
Sponsored