Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey all,

I just got a 2020 Ranger Lariat and one thing I didn't notice until I got on the highway is the driver side mirror whistles at high-ish speed (>50mph). I'm wondering if this is due to the body color mirror plastic and the black mirror housing seam. Anyone else have this? If anyone has fixed it if they have had it, what'd you do? Im thinking putting some kind of sealant on it but then obviously itll be harder to replace if I ever need to.

Thanks!
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I haven't seen anything reported here Steve. Have you tried to simple shake the mirror housing to see if it's seated properly? Good luck, I know how aggravating things like this can be. If you can't get it to stop I suggest taking it to the dealer. It shouldn't be causing any noises.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
I haven't seen anything reported here Steve. Have you tried to simple shake the mirror housing to see if it's seated properly? Good luck, I know how aggravating things like this can be. If you can't get it to stop I suggest taking it to the dealer. It shouldn't be causing any noises.

Yeah I'll look more closely. I had a honda accord that did something like it too.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Hey all,

I just got a 2020 Ranger Lariat and one thing I didn't notice until I got on the highway is the driver side mirror whistles at high-ish speed (>50mph). I'm wondering if this is due to the body color mirror plastic and the black mirror housing seam. Anyone else have this? If anyone has fixed it if they have had it, what'd you do? Im thinking putting some kind of sealant on it but then obviously itll be harder to replace if I ever need to.

Thanks!
What song is it whistling? ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

Thanks!
Here’s a thread you should read. you might be having the same issue.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/whistle-from-driver-side-mirror.6961/post-121553

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Here’s a thread you should read. you might be having the same issue.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/whistle-from-driver-side-mirror.6961/post-121553
Boy i missed a good thread to chime in on. Dont want to bump a thread that old, so instead i'll mention some further info here. That plastic insert the previous OP found was the issue is an assembly aid for routing the wires. At the mirror assembly plants the operators take a wire harness and route it through the pivot tube into the head of the mirror using that hole. Then the door-side connector is pushed through to the base.

I always recommend you take the vehicle in to the dealer for any issues you can reproduce, otherwise the suppliers never know anything went wrong.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Boy i missed a good thread to chime in on. Dont want to bump a thread that old, so instead i'll mention some further info here. That plastic insert the previous OP found was the issue is an assembly aid for routing the wires. At the mirror assembly plants the operators take a wire harness and route it through the pivot tube into the head of the mirror using that hole. Then the door-side connector is pushed through to the base.

I always recommend you take the vehicle in to the dealer for any issues you can reproduce, otherwise the suppliers never know anything went wrong.
My issue was that plastic cover underneath the mirror, that the other OP has a photo of, was warped a little bit. I popped it off (only two tabs keeping it in) and kinda bent it straight then whistle went away.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Well, that's two issues with those trapdoors. Honestly don't blame anyone for fixing such a simple thing themselves, but if anyone has the problem in the future please post a pic of the part in the mirror and describe the issue. I'll see if I can compile the issues and forward them to the guys in production.

OP
OP
Steve23

Steve23

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well, that's two issues with those trapdoors. Honestly don't blame anyone for fixing such a simple thing themselves, but if anyone has the problem in the future please post a pic of the part in the mirror and describe the issue. I'll see if I can compile the issues and forward them to the guys in production.
Tbf mine was certified pre owned and had a few dings and stuff so I didn’t think it was a factory defect at the time. But yeah you’re right, it seems to be an actual issue. Like the other OP mine wasn’t flush it kinda stuck out a bit on one side. And it was only the drive side mirror
Sponsored