Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
Occupation
Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
While running the A/C or heat it get a loud whistle from the vents, if I don’t have the music to volume lever 18 or higher it drives me insane. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
While running the A/C or heat it get a loud whistle from the vents, if I don’t have the music to volume lever 18 or higher it drives me insane. Anyone else have this issue?
Not on my new Ranger since I don't have it yet, but I have often seen this sort of thing in the past.
A leaf or some other debris got into the moving air stream, maybe even a scrap of material, paper or plastic etc. It can often be cured simply by cycling the different levels on your HVAC a couple of times, including Recirculation and high speed fan.
Sometimes a little scrap of leaf or paper will spit out of the vent.

This time of year it could even be a bit of ice from condensation.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
It does whistle on the highest setting for me. Is kind of annoying.

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
I have the whistle sound too. It cycles with the A\C and fan on high. Someone mentioned the vents being shut on on another forum, but I do not see a way to completely shut the vents.
I believe it whistles on floor and defrost as well.

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saddlebrookcontrols.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
Automation Applications Engineer
I have the whistle sound too. It cycles with the A\C and fan on high. Someone mentioned the vents being shut on on another forum, but I do not see a way to completely shut the vents.
I believe it whistles on floor and defrost as well.
On high speed with one or more vents closed you can get a whistle sound. It's the high velocity air forcing through the tiny opening.
I don't get it if the vents are all open.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I noticed that mine only does this when I have it on fresh air. If I crack open a window just a tiny bit it stops doing it. That tells me that the truck is sealed up rather too well and building up pressure against the blower fan. I suspect it's probably the result of the foam mats I put in on the back wall to reduce wind noise after removing the jute material from between the cab/bed. Guess I need to open it up a little more to reduce air pressure from building up too much.

20210508_132514-jpg.jpg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I noticed that mine only does this when I have it on fresh air. If I crack open a window just a tiny bit it stops doing it. That tells me that the truck is sealed up rather too well and building up pressure against the blower fan. I suspect it's probably the result of the foam mats I put in on the back wall to reduce wind noise after removing the jute material from between the cab/bed. Guess I need to open it up a little more to reduce air pressure from building up too much.

20210508_132514-jpg.jpg
Use felt sheet instead of foam. Foam does not breathe and the felt will. Both dampen sound about the same

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Use felt sheet instead of foam. Foam does not breathe and the felt will. Both dampen sound about the same
That's a really good suggestion. Thanks! Definitely have to go to the fabric store and pick some up. I thought I had the foam positioned in such a way that it would not block the pressure vents too much. Guess I was wrong on that.

tekfranz

First Name
Franz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger LX
That makes sense. The Ranger is sealed really air tight (which is a good thing) as I can barely latch the doors without a bit of moderate force. It would make sense the blower is struggling a bit to displace the cabin air.
Will definitely try cracking the window.
Thanks!
Sponsored