First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Something is rubbing or grinding. You're not using 4H or 4L on dry pavement?
If its a brand new truck take it back to the dealer. Use your warranty while you have it.
No, the truck was in 2WD while it was making this noise. Headed back to dealer.
Sponsored

Jfleming

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4wd Supercab, 1996 Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Fireman
There is a service bulletin on this topic dated Aug 25, 2020. It is bulletin 20-2198. It is not for all 5G Rangers, but your may fall into the date range. I think it would have to be a pretty early 2020 to have this apply.

10R80 Transmission – High-Pitched Whine - Built On 21-Oct-2019 And Through 16-Dec-2019

I am attaching the whole TSB so you can see it for yourself. Good luck at the dealer!

Attachments

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
There is a service bulletin on this topic dated Aug 25, 2020. It is bulletin 20-2198. It is not for all 5G Rangers, but your may fall into the date range. I think it would have to be a pretty early 2020 to have this apply.

10R80 Transmission – High-Pitched Whine - Built On 21-Oct-2019 And Through 16-Dec-2019

I am attaching the whole TSB so you can see it for yourself. Good luck at the dealer!
From TSB:

"Service Procedure 1.
Isolate the high-pitched whine condition by road testing the vehicle at normal operating temperature, use the Automatic Transmission Select Shift feature to select and hold 3rd gear while driving on flat ground. The high-pitched whine noise peaks at speeds between 30-40 km/h (18-25 mph) during light acceleration and while coasting down in 3rd gear. The high-pitched whine noise goes away when in NEUTRAL."

Doesn't seem to match the OP's problem but there has been stranger things.

Jfleming

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4wd Supercab, 1996 Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Fireman
From TSB:

"Service Procedure 1.
Isolate the high-pitched whine condition by road testing the vehicle at normal operating temperature, use the Automatic Transmission Select Shift feature to select and hold 3rd gear while driving on flat ground. The high-pitched whine noise peaks at speeds between 30-40 km/h (18-25 mph) during light acceleration and while coasting down in 3rd gear. The high-pitched whine noise goes away when in NEUTRAL."

I agree, this is not dead on to the OP's description, but a transmission whine noise none the less so I thought I would post just in case the OP or anyone else needs it.

Secondly, it really only applies to a pretty small number of Rangers.
From TSB:

"Service Procedure 1.

I agree, this is not dead on to the OP's description, but a transmission whine noise none the less so I thought I would post just in case the OP or anyone else needs it.

Secondly, it really only applies to a pretty small number of Rangers. The OP mentions two days old. The truck would have had to be sitting on the lot for ages for this to apply to it.

OP
OP

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist

Thank you very much, I will check it out!

OP
OP

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
From TSB:

"Service Procedure 1.

Looks like my manufacturing date is 7/2020? So, I’m not sure if this could still be the source or not. But, I will certainly mention this TSB at dealer tomorrow, for what it’s worth.

22BEF9C7-A719-4A58-AD17-B54EAABCAEE6.jpeg

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Looks like my manufacturing date is 7/2020? So, I’m not sure if this could still be the source or not. But, I will certainly mention this TSB at dealer tomorrow, for what it’s worth.

I was mainly getting at the speed your noise was heard at versus how they say to test for it.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
If possible, have someone walk along outside the truck and see if they can locate where it's coming from. This will help identify the cause of the sound. But based on the video clip and if it only makes this noise when turning, then possibly something with the power steering system. Confirm this by sitting still and rotating the wheel all the way to stop in both directions. If no sound is present, then it's not the power steering. If it makes this sound when not turning the wheel as well, then it's possible there's a brake pad vibrating or bent dust shield. Last thing that comes to mind is the rear differential. If you have a FX4 or 2WD with locking rear diff. Make sure that the rear differential lock is not enabled. If it is on, then it could likely be that making this noise.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I am hearing a high pitch whine on my two day old 2020 Ford Ranger XLT. The video is from driving at low speed in the parking garage, the first morning driving into work. I am taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. If anyone can identify (or "relate") to this noise, I would certainly appreciate your input!
Thanks!
Video
Just posted the video!
You have found the magical violin! So lucky! In all seriousness I hope the dealer gets you sorted out.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Garage acoustics can be strange , I'm betting it is the brand new tires on the super smooth concrete, aggravated by the acoustics.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

22BEF9C7-A719-4A58-AD17-B54EAABCAEE6.jpeg
Your truck was built on 7/6/2020 - you can see it in the number at the bottom of your sticker (3202007066516) - the number in bold is the actual build date. The last 4 are a sequence number Ford uses for scheduling - I'm not sure what the 3 is for.

OP
OP

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Garage acoustics can be strange , I'm betting it is the brand new tires on the super smooth concrete, aggravated by the acoustics.
Unfortunately, it also happens on the street:(

OP
OP

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Unfortunately, it also happens on the street:(

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Dealer will tell you 1st and reverse whine is normal. That does not sound like the trans though.
I agree. The wife's '18 Mustang 10 spd has done that since day one. It was discussed ad nauseam on the Mustang Source forum. If it's a low whine, and you can only hear when you're sitting beside something that reflects the sound, that's what you have. No problems, just the nature of the beast.

OP
OP

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
I agree. The wife's '18 Mustang 10 spd has done that since day one. It was discussed ad nauseam on the Mustang Source forum. If it's a low whine, and you can only hear when you're sitting beside something that reflects the sound, that's what you have. No problems, just the nature of the beast.
It is definitely more than a low pitch whine. It is a HIGH pitch whine, that can definitely be heard no matter where you are. Coming home the very FIRST day from the dealership, my neighbors dog looked at me like I was an alien turning down my driveway. No, it's just me in my BRAND new pickup.
Sponsored