Which Running Boards/Side Steps did you purchase?

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I want to install side steps so my wife can get in the truck a little easier. Just bought a new 2019 XLT Super Crew. We are in our mid 60's and she has had a couple of spine surgeries.
They need to be functional, have a non-slip surface, and good looking. Don't want them sticking out like wings and looking like an ugly add-on.
What did you buy? Pics would be cool.
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I want to install side steps so my wife can get in the truck a little easier. Just bought a new 2019 XLT Super Crew. We are in our mid 60's and she has had a couple of spine surgeries.
They need to be functional, have a non-slip surface, and good looking. Don't want them sticking out like wings and looking like an ugly add-on.
OEM Side Steps.
Ranger steps-1.jpg

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I just used the O.E.M. running boards that came with the B.P.A. (Black Appearance Package). They seem to be of decent quality and have never caused us any problems. There is a version that comes with chrome on it, which may be easier to see at night. My wife is in her upper sixties, and we leveled the truck two inches, which improved the ride did not make climbing up any easier. But we figured out the solution shown below, which works out great for her. The larger steps stay in the garage on her side of the truck, while the smaller ones in the background fold up and go in the back seat when we travel. They are both Rubbermaid products that I picked up on Amazon for under fifty bucks the pair.

IMG_3156.JPG

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'd suggest you keep an eye open here on ranger5g for factory steps that somebody has removed.
If you want them ergonomically functional... they're not going to look great.

OP
OP
Ace Holliday

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just used the O.E.M. running boards that came with the B.P.A. (Black Appearance Package). They seem to be of decent quality and have never caused us any problems. There is a version that comes with chrome on it, which may be easier to see at night. My wife is in her upper sixties, and we leveled the truck two inches, which improved the ride did not make climbing up any easier. But we figured out the solution shown below, which works out great for her. The larger steps stay in the garage on her side of the truck, while the smaller ones in the background fold up and go in the back seat when we travel. They are both Rubbermaid products that I picked up on Amazon for under fifty bucks the pair.

IMG_3156.JPG
She has one of those small steps in the kitchen. I actually mentioned a similar solution to her as an option. Thank you.

OP
OP
Ace Holliday

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd suggest you keep an eye open here on ranger5g for factory steps that somebody has removed.
If you want them ergonomically functional... they're not going to look great.
The OEM steps look ok and appear to be functional. I have had very similar steps on other trucks in the past and I was generally happy with them.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
I ordered Go Rhino RB10's from Auto Anything and they are supposed to come tomorrow. They were 1/2 the price of OEM's and I liked the look...my brother in law put them on his new Silverado. Yeah, he's my in-law so you can't pick 'em! They are billed as "Raptor" steps. The only thing I'm not sure about is they are steel (galv) and I had black steel OEM's on my '04 Ranger and they rusted out. I replaced them with chrome OEM's a friend had removed from his new 2011 Ranger, which was nice since the '04 had XLT chrome. The other thing is the Go Rhino are just rough black powder coated. They offer bedliner coating also but they are way more expensive. We'll see.
My wife also has trouble getting in the new truck, but she's only 5'2", so she wants to take her Escape anywhere we go. Personally I like the ride of the Ranger better, and I think it's much quieter than her Escape, even tho she just had new tires put on it! I agreed to do the steps for her, but secretly think it may look better with them and keep some crud off the truck.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
AMP Power Step ordered.

OP
OP
Ace Holliday

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I ordered Go Rhino RB10's from Auto Anything and they are supposed to come tomorrow. They were 1/2 the price of OEM's and I liked the look...my brother in law put them on his new Silverado. Yeah, he's my in-law so you can't pick 'em! They are billed as "Raptor" steps. The only thing I'm not sure about is they are steel (galv) and I had black steel OEM's on my '04 Ranger and they rusted out. I replaced them with chrome OEM's a friend had removed from his new 2011 Ranger, which was nice since the '04 had XLT chrome. The other thing is the Go Rhino are just rough black powder coated. They offer bedliner coating also but they are way more expensive. We'll see.
My wife also has trouble getting in the new truck, but she's only 5'2", so she wants to take her Escape anywhere we go. Personally I like the ride of the Ranger better, and I think it's much quieter than her Escape, even tho she just had new tires put on it! I agreed to do the steps for her, but secretly think it may look better with them and keep some crud off the truck.
Do you happen to have a photo to see how far they extend out? I like these but my wife thinks there is not enough step. Sheesh. I can pretty much get what I want but her comfort is important. May end up with using the steps like Ranger_Mark uses.

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
My wife considered the Ford running boards too high since they are almost even with the door opening and needed a lower step. Ended up with N-Fab nerf step running boards.
IMG_20200322_110820 small.jpg

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I have the factory ones to match the chrome appearance package. My wife is pretty happy with them. For me, they're nice, but my truck doesn't sit quite high enough for me to find them super helpful climbing in. Maybe if I put a leveling kit or a lift on I'd feel differently, but then they'd probably be too high for my wife. I don't anticipate doing any suspension mods, though.

49774922826_fc88d3488d_c.jpg
0414201328_HDR
by Nate, on Flickr

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard