Where’s your dog?

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
My dads obit. We got his retired working dogs for many years. Bottom photo was at a trial.
----------------------------------------------------------

8749363_fbs.jpg

Herbert L Aronson
May 4, 1931 - November 6, 2023
Share this obituary

Graveside services for Herbert L. Aronson, 92, of Chamberlain will be 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at the Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery at Pukwana, SD.

Herbert LeRoy Aronson was born at home in Hamlin County in the Lake Norden area to Albert and Hannah (Diebert) Aronson on May 4, 1931. Herb was the youngest of five siblings. As Herbie grew up, he had to graduate at eighth grade in order to work on the farm. Herb learned his love of horses and the land. He began roping on his favorite horse Cindy and met a spunky strawberry- blond girl named Charmaign Roisum. Herb and Charmaign eventually married on June 26, 1953 and moved to “Pine Ridge Farm“ by Lake Poinsett, where their five children were born and raised.

Almost every Friday or Saturday night involved a game of pinochle with a neighbor or family member. Then they added square dancing to their weekends which they enjoyed for years. Herb had a welding shop on the farm and was able to build or fix about anything, he was an impressive mechanic and welder. Herb also began building docks for the Lake Poinsett residents and some still stand 30+ years later.

In 1987, Herb won a border collie at a square dance and he was hooked! We teased him that “he loved his dogs more than his kids.” Through the years he raised, trained and trialed his border collies and won numerous awards. To date he still has a dog, Kate. The one and only time he flew in a plane was to England with Charmaign, Frank, and Susan to the International Sheepdog Finals and yes, he came back with two puppies.

After buying some land in 1990 near Chamberlain, Herb began to build his home ( that he and Charmaign lived in until his final days.) During this time he bought some calves and began a small cattle herd. He was extremely proud of this. He also kept a herd of sheep for training purposes.

Herb loved his farm and just wanted to be there. He could be found driving his mule, running a dog and often had a cat sitting next to him. He drove around daily just “looking at what he had built”.

Dad still dreamed of buying more cows and getting a pup (which we always read the green sheet looking for some for sale.) He still talked of fixing a tractor or windrowing the hay. Dad, I hope you get all of this and your playing pinnacle and square dancing again. I know mom and your dogs are at your side so, “ Happy trails to you, until we meet again.”

Herb passed away on Monday, November 6th , 2023 at the age of 92 years old.

Herb survived by his children children Dawn (Randy) Rinehart of Highmore, SD, Arlyn (Sandy) Aronson of Houghton, MI, Marla (Van) Huse of Onida, SD, and Lynn (Steve) Peterson of Chamberlain, SD; grandchildren Jamie (Beth), Buck, Sammie (Dusty), Jacob, Tate (Dory), Geoffrey, Zach, Ty (Stella), Jonathan, Kara, Hayes, Evan, and Levi; nine great grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.

Preceding him in death were his wife Charmaign, his parents Albert and Hannah, son Randy, grandson Zane, granddaughter Katie Jo, and siblings Harriet, Delice, Arlyn (my name sake, died in WWII), Edna, and Fern.
jordan-dad-sandy-bobby-jim-es-jpg.jpg
Beautiful obituary, Arly. Sounds like a wonderful life. God bless you and your family during this time.
Sponsored

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
We need to get the mutts out everyday, for some serious exercise. If you get your out, please post pictures of that. Yesterday we bumped into some people we had never seen before and the dogs were chasing and pawing in short order.
berdogs0267.jpg
brtdogs273.jpg
brtdogs70261.jpg
brtdogs0276.jpg

Northwet Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired, Home chores when not goofing off
She/he's thinking "take and throw this damn thing already!" :)
The funny thing is he has turned this into a 3-5 step game. Throw, fetch, keep away, tug of war, and repeat, repeat, repeat.............

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
The funny thing is he has turned this into a 3-5 step game. Throw, fetch, keep away, tug of war, and repeat, repeat, repeat.............
Cooper our Beagle does not understand fetch. He will bring his toy to me and wants me to literally chase him around the house. If I catch him, then the tug of war is on :rolleyes:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Cooper our Beagle does not understand fetch. He will bring his toy to me and wants me to literally chase him around the house. If I catch him, then the tug of war is on :rolleyes:
sounds like cooper understands it well... he got you trained.