Where to get OEM wiper inserts?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Bosch Icons
I live in Northern California at a location without snow, rarely have ice on the windshield, but we do have some days near 110- 115 degrees. The Icons last me at least 2 years on the vehicles parked outside and even longer on my Jeep which is parked in the garage. (With built-in shelving and workbench, I only have room for one vehicle in my 2 car garage.)
Sponsored

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Hmmm, in that case, I guess i'm curious why people don't do refills, since they're just a few dollars, vs tens of dollars.
I've done refills a few times. They're a pain in the ass cause they're not really meant to be replaced these days.
Most people like me would rather just buy a new pre-assembled part to snap in and be on our way.

Bosch Excel+ conventional blades only cost me $25-$30. The Inserts for those cost me $15... I rather just have it preassembled.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hmmm, in that case, I guess i'm curious why people don't do refills, since they're just a few dollars, vs tens of dollars.
Well, not sure I agree, based on recent experience. Three weeks ago, I was having the winter tires swapped on and the summers off. Asked the shop if they caries wiper blade and if so, put them on. They did not have what was needed for my wife's Volvo XC60 but could have them by the time I came back with the Ranger for it's winter tire.

I come back a hour later and was handed the wipers. The long one was $25 and the short one was $17.

I get home go to put them on and discover they aren't the correct ones. Humm... wonder why... because the Volvo has heated wipers and washer fluid sprayed through the wiper, replacing the "wiper cartridge" (what you don't want) is like $119. So watch a couple YT videos to learn JUST the rubber is changed! Old school.

So I figure, take the rubber out of the cartridge and slide it in... NOOooo... rubber profile is different (a little wider) so it won't fit in the slot on the Volvo cartridge.

OK, go to Amazon, order OEM "rubber only" inserts... $49. Retail, store bought "cartridge", though wrong, $42 vs rubber only at $49.

d0f66ccb864acd7714a0177f4fc2f7eb.png

The cartridge swapping ease out weighs any minor cost difference and is what consumers really want.... or that's what the wiper makers have figured out so why bother having to make 2 product lines when one will do.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I don't know about anyone else, but the factory wipers that came on my truck were garbage. They made it about a month before I threw them in the trash and replaced them with Bosch Icons.
Excellent Choice 😜🤪😛

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
.Does anyone know why manufacturers are moving away from refills?
The problems for manufacturers include not knowing how many times a blade insert has been replaced in the carrier, which may have fatigued and not press against the windshield properly, or been damaged at some time with an ice scraper etc. Also if you miss some of the track or groove, or install the clip wrong, the rubber may work its way out of the carrier. Vehicles with the "J" wiper arms make for pretty foolproof installation of the whole assembly, and the mfrs have less liability for faulty blades when it may have resulted from worn/damaged carriers or improper installation.

fjwlobo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCREW
Huh, so these have two blades per wiper. Interesting. Does it make more noise or anything else? How long did it last for you?
When I first installed them they made no more noise than the OEM's. The only problem I've had with them is the tab that locks the blade to the arm started to pop open after about six months. I drilled a small hole and put a small ty-wrap on it. No more problem. Guess they've been on about 10 months now and they still work fine. They did start to squeak some the last time it rained (hasn't rained too much) when I started to use them but they quieted down after a few wipes. May be time to replace them.

03svt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2013 Raptor supercab
I've never had as good of an experience with wiper blades as I did with the OEM ranger blades..

2.5 years of Maine torture and they were still 100% streak free.

Literally every other brand I've ever used.. rain-x, Bosch, whatever.... always needed annual replacement.
This has been exactly my experience in the northeast as well; staying with OEM

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Time is money. It's a lot quicker to flip the connector and swap out the whole blade than trying to slide in the new refill. And with the Ranger so high, I'd still have to remove the whole blade to swap out the insert.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
With the modern blade style wiper like the Ranger has there is no refill. And for the few cars out there that have wipers that excepts a refill no one carries them any more.

I have a 68 Barracuda that has wipers that accept refills and the only thing I can find is generic ones that have to be cut to fit and the cost is almost the same as the entire arm with blade.

Guardstang

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Auto Parts Store
I don't thing I have sold a wiper blade insert in 20 years. When people complain about wiper performance I ask them if they clean the rubber part--ever watch a window washer? They wipe the squeegee after every pass. When I clean the windows I spray some cleaner on a towel and wipe the rubber part. The factory blades on the Ranger were pretty good, I replaced them with Bosch Icons that we sell.

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Where do you all get OEM wiper inserts to replace your worn ones, ie just the silicon insert part?
This is an example of the OEM wiper+insert, but i'm only looking to replace the insert.
Does any silicon insert of the right length work, or only motorcraft ones?
I get the OEM blades from rock auto in about 2-3 days for half the price of the local dealers.
Sponsored