First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My trucks are 2wd, if you have a 4wd without mods, I would launch it in 4, but the best alternative (if they are serious and tuned) is put it in 2wd, Drag radials, roll through or if possible, skip the water box, hold the brake pedal down and do a burnout, 20-25 lbs air, boost to 2500-3000 and dump it….engaging the front differential puts a lot of drag in the straightaway…
I was curious as to the drivetrain drag. At stock power levels there really doesn't seem to be enough wheelspin to justify 4WD.

I'll probably never put my truck a a strip. But I do live my life 1/4 mile at a time. ;)

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I love to feel the rear end pop sideways when I hit 3rd gear....but that means she's breaking loose from the pavement. IMHO, if I'm running something that I'm not sure about....I'm in Sport mode, 4H, traction control off.....even on wet pavement she doesn't break loose. It is a HUGE advantage over 2wd vehicles! :sunglasses:
I get many compliments from the college racers here in Fort Collins about my Ranger....they love how quick it is....most think I have a bigger turbo than stock, I'm not tellin...;)
Now I do get my butt handed to me sometimes.....but I can do ALOT of butt handing myself....lol
SO MUCH FUN!
My Dad was the building inspector in Denver, an avid trout fisherman, I’ve been fishing with him there in Ft Collins..
Regards

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
interesting thing about Doc...

I haven't seen him post in awhile. i checked his profile and he had been on a little while ago.
Checked out a few of his posts, and they all came up with the oops, there's a problem page.
but then I see his last online status was active....so he must have got a notification to the link above by DFresh.
Now, you cant even view his profile....it comes up on the oops there's a problem thing again.

Now we have seen this before, maybe its a glitch, or maybe Doc has left the building.

1635521206662.png
I can see his profile fine and see him comment on a lot of posts.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I was curious as to the drivetrain drag. At stock power levels there really doesn't seem to be enough wheelspin to justify 4WD.

I'll probably never put my truck a a strip. But I do live my life 1/4 mile at a time. ;)
my truck was the R+D truck for Unleashed Tunes, Torrie kept it for a week. Tuned 2wd spins like a bitch through 3rd gear. You have to have good rubber on the back, tuned in 2wd……388 lb/ft torque ..

151A98CD-F2E3-4099-8B13-1777FF3060EE.jpeg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
my truck was the R+D truck for Unleashed Tunes, Torrie kept it for a week. Tuned 2wd spins like a bitch through 3rd gear. You have to have good rubber on the back, tuned in 2wd……

151A98CD-F2E3-4099-8B13-1777FF3060EE.jpeg
Ohh I bet.

If/when I tune my truck it'll be by a local tuner via HPtuners hardware on their dyno. I've actually considered wether my AT tires would be sticky enough to stay on the rollers.

That'll be a question for Harv when I get to that point.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Ohh I bet.

If/when I tune my truck it'll be by a local tuner via HPtuners hardware on their dyno. I've actually considered wether my AT tires would be sticky enough to stay on the rollers.

That'll be a question for Harv when I get to that point.
Yes Torrie Dyno Tuned mine, If you order his 93 octane performance tune, you‘re probably are getting mine with some upgrades …

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Yes Torrie Dyno Tuned mine, If you order his 93 octane performance tune, you probably are getting mine with some upgrades …
Very nice.

From what I've read Unleashed would be my choice for a canned tune. The level of support Torrie provides seems unmatched.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Off the line, probably 4wd with skinny oem diameter, highway tyres is the safe bet. Same car, M3 for instance in a 1/4 mile wins by far xdrive compared to rwd. 2wd with massive rear tyres would work, yet I do not believe you can match 4 tyres contact patch.

• Love

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Off the line, probably 4wd with skinny oem diameter, highway tyres is the safe bet. Same car, M3 for instance in a 1/4 mile wins by far xdrive compared to rwd. 2wd with massive rear tyres would work, yet I do not believe you can match 4 tyres contact patch.
Agree for Street Racing,
Only problem, at the Drag strip (not all) you have to drive through the water box. Then what ? Only option is 2wd burnout, then your wet front wheels spin In 4wd.

And the M3 as well as the GTR have High Performance 4wd modes (all wheel drive)

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
oh right, he blocked me.
but seems odd, i could see the profile earlier, now not at all....hmmm. i dont understand these forums thingies.
Mine gets wonky when I'm on my phone.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
oh right, he blocked me.
you are the kid who was invited to my birthday party just because mom made me
mom- You need to invite Ranger Pride because it's not fair his mom didn't raise him with manners
me- aww come on mom, he's annoying
so you better bring me a good gift. please don't take this seriously and have a temper tantrum, it's all in jest

• Love

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Agree for Street Racing,
Only problem, at the Drag strip (not all) you have to drive through the water box. Then what ? Only option is 2wd burnout, then your wet front wheels spin In 4wd.

And the M3 as well as the GTR have High Performance 4wd modes (all wheel drive)
Was not aware of that. Respect!

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
My Dad was the building inspector in Denver, an avid trout fisherman, I’ve been fishing with him there in Ft Collins..
Regards
The fire we had last summer really thumped the river. Trout fishing is still pretty good as long as its been a while since a rain. After a good rain up the watershed....the river is as black as coal for a few weeks. It's amazing those fish can feed and survive with that much sediment in the water column...
Sponsored