What's Were they thinking with this horn?!

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Today a texting jackleg in a VW bug nearly took my front bumper off when chasing lanes in a round about. I hit the horn and honestly, it was a little embarrassing. It sounded like a clown car with sinus congestion going thru puberty. It was an awful, whimpy, sick, whinny, muted sounding noise. It made me feel bad for using it.
Who choose this sound or this horn....it needs to be changed!

I wonder if a tail gate dampener make it sound better?
Sponsored

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Today a texting jackleg in a VW bug nearly took my front bumper off when chasing lanes in a round about. I hit the horn and honestly, it was a little embarrassing. It sounded like a clown car with sinus congestion going thru puberty. It was an awful, whimpy, sick, whinny, muted sounding noise. It made me feel bad for using it.

Really? I thought the horn to be fairly robust sounding, try driving a honda, there is clown car material

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired

Mine sounds like a regular truck horn. Yours must be defective.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase

Have it checked at the Dealer. You should have Dual Horns that have separate tones. Nice and loud when they both work. I had one of the horns quit on me and had to have them order a new one. Took a few weeks but just got notified it's in so scheduled for replacement next week!

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

Made me think of my childhood. Growing up we had an attached garage, so my dad would give a quick honk when he came home after work to alert one of the kids to flip on the light switch for him. At some point he upgraded to a diesel Dodge Ram pickup. It was a very robust pickup in many ways, including the sound of that diesel engine. He'd come rolling in with that thundering engine that all of us heard in the house, and then we'd hear a super pathetic "beep beep" as he gave the horn a tap. I really liked that truck, but that horn was embarrassing.

EDIT to add: come think of it, that truck didn't have a tailgate dampener, so maybe that was the problem with the horn?

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ford trucks have a dual horn setup/twin frequency and when one goes out it will defn sound pretty stupid.

Make sure you got a good connection on them and good ground through the bracket. Ive had them drop out on me before in other fords and you notice right away. :LOL:
If its getting power and not filled with trash/mud, ill bet its the ground through the bracket. Ive never seen an actual failure of the horn itself. Though it is possible

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
This...

if your horn sounds like this, then you're doing it wrong!!:LOL:

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Ford trucks have a dual horn setup/twin frequency and when one goes out it will defn sound pretty stupid.

Make sure you got a good connection on them and good ground through the bracket. Ive had them drop out on me before in other fords and you notice right away. :LOL:
If its getting power and not filled with trash/mud, ill bet its the ground through the bracket. Ive never seen an actual failure of the horn itself. Though it is possible
^^^ THIS ^^^

My Jeep GC had an intermittent on one side of the dual tone horn. Sounded muffled and sick.

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
Your horn may be the optional "horn dampener" made to sound loud to start out and softer as you keep pressing it until you can not hear it, very similar to the tailgate dampener. :shock::lipssealed::LOL::crackup:

OP
OP
JHC14

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Executive Pastor
I will check it out when I get home...not sure where the horn is located but maybe I can find it under the hood somewhere. Maybe just look for the "sad" part around the engine.

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Times like that never have a horn loud enough. I miss my F250 with train horns when those people are around.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I will check it out when I get home...not sure where the horn is located but maybe I can find it under the hood somewhere. Maybe just look for the "sad" part around the engine.
Just stick your head under the hood and have somebody honk the horn. Even if only one horn is working you'll find it. ;)

OP
OP
JHC14

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Just stick your head under the hood and have somebody honk the horn. Even if only one horn is working you'll find it. ;)
If only I could. The neighbors are quarantined with COVID. All 4 of them got it. My wife works out of town. My arms just are not long enough to do it alone. If I trusts the dog more I would train her how to honk the horn on command.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Just looked for ya. Under the driver headlight, you will see them.
May have to go through driverside fender-well for some real access, I didn't crawl under to check though.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I don't think I've hit the wheel hard enough to hear my horn. lol
Sponsored