RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I thought some of you detailer types might have a good answer for this - I have an Extang Solid Fold Tonneau cover that has texture on most of the cover. It is almost 3 years old now and it is getting a little weather beaten (a little bit gray). I tried some "Back to Black" but due to the texture, it would take a TON of it to do the whole cover. I've tried 303 before but I guess I didn't keep up with it and at this point I think it needs something beyond that.

Anyone have a good suggestion on what to use?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The 303 Aerospace Protectant will work if you kept up on it from the start. Have you tried applying it and adding additional coats a few days apart? I'm not sure of any other products but this might bring it back and worth trying.

Wisertyou

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT 4x4
The 303 Aerospace Protectant will work if you kept up on it from the start. Have you tried applying it and adding additional coats a few days apart? I'm not sure of any other products but this might bring it back and worth trying.
I just put 303 on my soft folding cover yesterday and it made a big difference. I just bought my 2019 xlt so I'm betting it was never protected before.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just put 303 on my soft folding cover yesterday and it made a big difference. I just bought my 2019 xlt so I'm betting it was never protected before.
I've been using it since new on mine and I do it every 2-3 months. The sun destroys everything here and you really have to make sure you protect stuff with a product that has a good UV protectant. It's also great for the plastic on top of the bed rails and especially the dash. Mine's garaged but it does sit outside when I'm at work and it still looks brand new.

IMG_2156.jpg

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I've got the Extang also and the texture makes it difficult to apply anything evenly without using a lot. I use Adam's VRT, put it on a microfiber, fold it inside and spread it around on the towel then start wiping the cover working it into the texture. I do it once a year because it is a pain.
I've found Back to Black leave streaks on the sides of the truck when it rains. Especially on the door handles.
A liquid that you could spray on evenly and work in with a soft bristle brush may be the way to go. Anyone know of anything like that? ;)

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have not - I have applied it a few times, but not frequently enough. The biggest problem is the texture honestly. It kind of just sucks up whatever you spray on it.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think what I might try is to do a thorough cleaning (with some sort of brush to get down into the texture) followed by a thorough application of 303 to see where that takes it. If that doesn't work, maybe try the Adam's VRT.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I've been using it since new on mine and I do it every 2-3 months. The sun destroys everything here and you really have to make sure you protect stuff with a product that has a good UV protectant. It's also great for the plastic on top of the bed rails and especially the dash. Mine's garaged but it does sit outside when I'm at work and it still looks brand new.

IMG_2156.jpg
Heck, I use that stuff on every piece of plastic on my vehicles, bumper caps, side mirror caps, etc. As we say in the south, "it keeps 'em right purdy". :)

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

IMG_2156.jpg
EVERYTHING on your truck looks brand new, brother!
Exceptionally clean ride.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Did Dave (@AzScorpion ) ever mention that he bought a fleet of the same trucks and keeps them in storage until current driver has sun-morphed into an old Renault? :LOL:

1649092519700.png

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks Chris! You'd never know it gets used every day for work and off roading. One nice thing about living out here is we don't get the elements (snow, mud, rain) like back east. So besides some dust it's pretty easy to take care of with the right products. I've been trying to get 303 to use it in some ads for the Graphene. lol :sunglasses:

BuzKilington

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RANGER XLT
Occupation
IT
I use back to black by meguiars or vrp by chemical guys. I would choose mequires though. Vrp can run in rain if not applied correctly.

Edit note: always clean surface before applying
Sponsored