First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger super cab FX4
Occupation
Woodworker/heat ac tech
My wife and I bought a Ranger last year after having driven Chevy Silverados for years. We are about to begin a three week camping trip from upstate NY to Montana. We are going to pick up a Go Fast Camper that we ordered a year ago for this truck. I have not yet done very much wrenching in this truck and am wondering if anyone has thoughts about what size sockets, wrenches and tools would be most practical to have in my kit where I am concerned about weight but could get a bit off road so would like to have some ability to work on things should the need arise.

63335F74-5947-42AB-9974-5C2EE96DCD9C.jpeg

001245EE-A9EA-4E9F-B2A4-4BD6B8532C01.jpeg
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Good question. I'm of a mind that if I can't fix it with a hammer, flat head or phillips screw driver, and a set of metric wrenches from 8mm-19mm I'm calling a wrecker. There's not much left on new cars/trucks that I can even work on these days anywho. :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I bought a Ranger last year after having driven Chevy Silverados for years. We are about to begin a three week camping trip from upstate NY to Montana. We are going to pick up a Go Fast Camper that we ordered a year ago for this truck. I have not yet done very much wrenching in this truck and am wondering if anyone has thoughts about what size sockets, wrenches and tools would be most practical to have in my kit where I am concerned about weight but could get a bit off road so would like to have some ability to work on things should the need arise.

63335F74-5947-42AB-9974-5C2EE96DCD9C.jpeg

001245EE-A9EA-4E9F-B2A4-4BD6B8532C01.jpeg
Hi Tod,

There a number of US wrench sizes that fit with Metric useage, but two that come to mind are 10 mm and 18mm. Nothing US fits these sizes. Also...Ranger seems to have quite a few more Torx head bolts, so a good set from T5 to T50 would be good.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Could ya give us a little back ground on the bed floor insert ? Where did you get the track and inserts/sliding attachment points and what did you use for the base ? I like the concept and execution :thumbsup: Looks like it would be very adaptable....I like it :thumbsup::rockon:

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I'm so jealous you are getting your GFC. I have a few more months and it's also a supercab???

I'm with Phil- a whole set torx drivers and metric socket

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Since you maybe running low on time, you may want to take just an hour or two and think about which items you are willing to work o n in the fieldand check the bolts , as well as things that you are thinking may need to be worked on or repaired.
I purchased this Tool Roll from Amazon to save space and have been pleasantly surprised with how well it is working out.
Torx, metric wrenches and sockets, screwdrivers, pliers and whatever might be needed for the GFC.
Items I am glad I brought on my trip and have used include 2 pair of vise grips. Being solo I needed a way to hold a nut which I couldn't reach from where the bolt was on my RTT.

I also brought a 1/2 inch breaker bar with the 19mm socket for lugnut removal. I recommend packing a medium sized pry bar - you just never know. I did "splurge" and included my 18 volt impact, drill, drill bits and sawzall. And yes, I packed tools before my clothes.

Also, if you haven't already done this, make sure the spare tire tool kit is removed from its factory location under the seat and put in an easy location to get to. Not a good situation to have to unload your back seat/storage area on the side of the road to get to the tools needed just to lower the spare.

Hope this helps

OP
OP

Tod

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger super cab FX4
Occupation
Woodworker/heat ac tech
Thanks for the replies. I have a good idea for tools to bring along now.
In response to Rinn69 asking about the background for the platform in the bed I will describe it a bit.
i wanted to have anchors in the bed of my truck to tie down things like the fridge, propane tank, Li-battery and water storage containers but wanted to be able to move them out of the way when not needed. So I made a two piece platform of 5/8” plywood then screwed 3/4” thick runners that fit between the ridges in the bed.
Then I bought some 10 series extrusion from Tnutz dadoed the plywood and screwed 3 extrusions in on locations that fit in places I wanted to have tie down points.
The part that moves is tnutz handles that lock tight attached to slotted hole angle. I tied a pieceof para cord to the slotted hole in the angle to use as the hook point straps.
I also fitted an aluminum extrusion on the wall of the cab side of the bed to give me anchor points there.
Next week will be my first trip using this setup so I don’t have experience with how it works. I do like how secure anchored things feel in it though. Let me know if you want pictures as I am not such a great writer and have trouble describing it.

aklinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Thanks for the replies. I have a good idea for tools to bring along now.
In response to Rinn69 asking about the background for the platform in the bed I will describe it a bit.
i wanted to have anchors in the bed of my truck to tie down things like the fridge, propane tank, Li-battery and water storage containers but wanted to be able to move them out of the way when not needed. So I made a two piece platform of 5/8” plywood then screwed 3/4” thick runners that fit between the ridges in the bed.
Then I bought some 10 series extrusion from Tnutz dadoed the plywood and screwed 3 extrusions in on locations that fit in places I wanted to have tie down points.
The part that moves is tnutz handles that lock tight attached to slotted hole angle. I tied a pieceof para cord to the slotted hole in the angle to use as the hook point straps.
I also fitted an aluminum extrusion on the wall of the cab side of the bed to give me anchor points there.
Next week will be my first trip using this setup so I don’t have experience with how it works. I do like how secure anchored things feel in it though. Let me know if you want pictures as I am not such a great writer and have trouble describing it.
I'd love more photos! Did you paint the plywood?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I keep a small Kobalt socket set in the truck but IMO the best tool to carry is a breaking bar with a 3/4" socket on it in case of a flat. I rotate my own tires an hand torque the bolts but those factory lug wrenches usually suck.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I keep a small Kobalt socket set in the truck but IMO the best tool to carry is a breaking bar with a 3/4" socket on it in case of a flat. I rotate my own tires an hand torque the bolts but those factory lug wrenches usually suck.
Amen on the factory lug wrench sucking! That said, the more modern wrenches are at least better than the old "tire Iron" style where the socket piece was about 60° from the handle. Impossible to get any torque on the lugnut without rounding off the edges of the lug nut flats.

I also have a breaker bar for the wife's Nautilus...the wheels are torqued to 176 ft-lbs! Impossible with the pathetic lug nut wrench provided. Ranger, I do not worry as the torque is only 100 ft-lbs.

The more important deal for me with lug nuts on Fords is the two piece design with the associated swelling to the point the lug nuts too big for the lug wrench. I have replaced both the Ranger and the Nautilus with solid, one piece lug nuts. Chrome for the Ranger as I have the chrome package and for the Nautilus with its huge 21" rims, black lug nuts in place of the chrome. Like the look on the Nautilus much better! Not very expensive compared with most Mods on these forums....JMO!

BTW...Nautilus take a 22mm socket.... Not a 19mm (or Âľ") like the Ranger.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Amen on the factory lug wrench sucking! That said, the more modern wrenches are at least better than the old "tire Iron" style where the socket piece was about 60° from the handle. Impossible to get any torque on the lugnut without rounding off the edges of the lug nut flats.
I've used those old tire irons....I'm just old enough to have used a "bumper jack". I used to carry a 4 way lug wrench but to save space I went to the breaking bar. The nice thing about the 4 way is you could help other people since it had all 4 of the common sizes on it.

I will replace the lug nuts with the once piece ones eventually. I figure I have time before they start to separate. I did the rear brakes on my '16 fusion with 60K on it an getting the lugs off was a nightmare. Luckily I was using a 2 post lift an had quality air tools at my disposal. When did lug nuts go from $1.99 each to $6? LOL

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Like OEM motorcycle tools, just enough to get you into trouble
Sponsored