What is attached to the inside Windshield?

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Any reputable glass replacement shop should be able to recalibrate sensors. After they replace your windshield they will park in front of a large screen with an array of dots and lines in various locations. They hook up shop tablet to vehicle diagnostics port and sensors/cameras calibrate off screen of know points in front of vehicle
I had SafeLite replace my windshiled and the tech told me I needed to have the cameras calibrated by the dealer because he (his shop?) couldn't do it.
Sponsored

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My local safelite does it in house. Franchisee must not see it as worth the investment for the tool...

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
My local safelite does it in house. Franchisee must not see it as worth the investment for the tool...
That figures. Probably would have been cheaper and faster if he'd done it instead of taking it to the dealer :curse:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
That's good to know because I put my Sunpass device (Florida) right under it.

Everything seems to be working correctly but now I wonder.
It's a camera, so it cannot see the windshield. It's trained on the road in front of you, and maybe a tiny bit of the hood. The window directly in front of the camera needs to be clean, but the rest of the window can be completely trashed and it would still work fine.

This is likely similar to how they recalibrate a backup camera, my guess is that Forscan cold force the camera into "calibration" mode, and the thing just calibrates it's self. (obviously it's just a guess)

EDIT: Nope, some crazy complicated calibration rig is needed in addition to a Ford IDS tool.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have a chip in my windshield and the Safelite guy said he cannot recalibrate after replacing a windshield, so that sucks. The good thing is he said he can fix my chip without replacing it.

Does anyone know the Ford part number to replace the plastic Co-Pilot360 cover, in the event that I break the tabs while removing it? I'm going to remove the cover to get access to the mirror power for my dash cam, and I'm sure I'm going to break at least one tab getting if off, just my luck.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
What exactly does this camera do? It seems like there was a response lost here, because the second post I see is OP thanking someone for some sort of response to his original question.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I noticed that too, they must have deleted their post.
I think this camera has to do with the collision warning system, but I could be wrong.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Safelite recalibrated mine on my Fusion when they replaced my windshield and it works perfectly.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I have a chip in my windshield and the Safelite guy said he cannot recalibrate after replacing a windshield, so that sucks. The good thing is he said he can fix my chip without replacing it.

Does anyone know the Ford part number to replace the plastic Co-Pilot360 cover, in the event that I break the tabs while removing it? I'm going to remove the cover to get access to the mirror power for my dash cam, and I'm sure I'm going to break at least one tab getting if off, just my luck.
I've had 2 windshields replaced by Safelite and they can too so either recalibrate after install.
They also can come up with actual RANGER windshields, just in case he tried to tell you that crap as well.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I noticed that too, they must have deleted their post.
I think this camera has to do with the collision warning system, but I could be wrong.
There is a camera behind the window glass. This camera is used for the Lane Keeping feature as well as AEB and the auto headlight dimming. There is also a sensor used for the auto-wipers, if you have that feature.

Any Safelite dealer should be able to do this allignment. Alost all modern vehicles have this kind of technology these days.
Sponsored