First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
IMO it's a cost saver, clutch fans are a relic, even the cheapest entry level sedans (shitboxes) have elec fans. I recently had a F150 w/5.0 and the elec fans, the only roar I enjoyed was the engine & exhaust, I loathe clutch fans. Also I agree there don't seem to be any aftermarket fans available I checked Flex-A-Lite and they have nothing specific
Well you can't put an engine-driven clutch fan on a transverse-mounted FWD vehicle, otherwise I promise you they would.

The Explorer has the same engine as the Ranger and is far heavier than the Ranger but has electrics... So why not on the Ranger? No clue really..
Because the average customer driving an Explorer would immediately have it in the shop for "weird noise on start-up" if it had a clutch fan.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm no fan of the engine driven fan on this truck. To me it's simply overkill. Especially when you consider that Ford has the F150 with the V8 in it and has electric fans on it. They don't have any issues can keep that thing cool. The Explorer has the same engine as the Ranger and is far heavier than the Ranger but has electrics... So why not on the Ranger? No clue really..

To date there is not any aftermarket electric cooling fan kits for the Ranger that I have been able to find. You might be able to pull the electric fan components out of an Explorer or 2.3L Mustang and adapt them in the Ranger. Getting everything to line up, and behave correctly on the other hand, well there lies the challenge.
You may think the clutch fan for the ranger is overkill but think of it this way. Ford did testing on a mid size truck with a 2.3l turbocharged engine that has a towing capacity of 7,500 lbs. All that will make a difference and Ford found the clutch fan to be the most effective option for it.

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
I love the roar upon startup myself.
Let me be clear with this. I love it when I start the Ranger in mornings and it's roaring like a dragon. Then eventually it's quiet a few minutes later. If it's roaring like that the entire time truck is running then yeah it'll bother me to no end.

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger FX4, 17 Subaru BRZ Yellow, 11 Evora
Occupation
Manager
You may think the clutch fan for the ranger is overkill but think of it this way. Ford did testing on a mid size truck with a 2.3l turbocharged engine that has a towing capacity of 7,500 lbs. All that will make a difference and Ford found the clutch fan to be the most effective option for it.
Yep my guess is you have a 7,500 lb trailer and towing over a 10k ft pass, you will be happy you have the engine driven fan. If not put a electric fan on if you want and be happy with your life.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
If I don't remote start my truck, as soon as I start it up I put it in reverse and then back in the park and it knocks down that roar of the engine. I'm not a fan of high RPMs at start up until the oil has had a good chance to circulate. Maybe that is not an issue? I always felt the engine idling that high at start up was equivalent to racing the vehicle on a cold engine. What say ye Phil? I'm sure I could speak for everyone on this forum in saying that we always appreciate your inputs.
Also on every start up it sounds like you're driving a semi or a jet engine at first. Is there any way to stop that and what exactly causes that? This happens whether the engine is cold whether I've stopped for a few minutes and restarted the engine.
I think the high RPM startup has something to do with emissions. It helps to heat the catalytic converter and burn off the raw fuel from startup. My Mustang does the same thing.

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
What is the tube coming off the bottom of the clutch and bolting against the engine? Found mine handing with the engine side somehow crumbling. Cut it back a little and zip-tied it back on. Never noticed any kind of function difference.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
What is the tube coming off the bottom of the clutch and bolting against the engine? Found mine handing with the engine side somehow crumbling. Cut it back a little and zip-tied it back on. Never noticed any kind of function difference.
So if I'm not mistaken all that tube is for is to help keep the harness from getting messed up. You are probably wondering why? Well the fan clutch is electronic and has its own harness so when engaging the harness couls start spinng with the fan. The tube stops that from happening.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I don't think i own a car/truck that does not do high RPM start up since the early 90s....
My very first car was a 63 VW Bug that I got in 1970, it had a cold start high idle and every single vehicle since has too.
Sponsored