Used 8” 2020 audio head unit worth?

7Boomerang7

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4X4 / Lightning Blue
ripped out my annoying 2020 8” factory head unit and replaced with a JVC HW-M780BH. Just an FYI a simple head unit swap will cost you about $800 in labor, cabling, Maestro unit and Sirius radio relay kit at CarToys because Sync3.
Anyone know what the used Ford unit is worth to sell?
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i would put it on ebay starting with a 100 reserve and see how it goes. honestly id expect it to bring more than that as it will fit many ford vehicles not just the ranger. surely someone is wanting to upgrade from the xl, or needs it to replace a broken one. id pay up to 300 for one if i needed one.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Do these head units have VIN lock?

IOW, will the buyer have to go to the dealer to get it unlocked to work with their truck?

If so, that is an extra cost that needs to be considered.

Also, post pics of your JVC solution!

It wouldn't take a whole lot of convincing to get me to dump SYNC for a good aftermarket setup, it's just that SYNC is so ingrained with other functions like climate that I wonder about full compatibility.

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Love almost everything about my Ranger XL, EXCEPT for the tiny display. Mine was a dealer ordered and I wish they had gone for the upgraded display and climate controls. Well worth the extra $1000 or so. Shopping around for a replacement right now. Would like to hear from someone who has replaced theirs.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Love almost everything about my Ranger XL, EXCEPT for the tiny display. Mine was a dealer ordered and I wish they had gone for the upgraded display and climate controls. Well worth the extra $1000 or so. Shopping around for a replacement right now. Would like to hear from someone who has replaced theirs.
Make an offer to OP, you may get a good deal. I've seen this SYNC Upgrade Kit to upgrade form the 4" display to SYNC3 8" touchscreen. It's almost $2K.
And according to that site, VIN programming is required:

INCLUDED:

• Genuine Ford voice activated SYNC 3 module.
  • Genuine Ford 8" Capacitive Touchscreen.
  • Genuine Ford Replacement radio bezel.
  • Genuine Ford Screen to module cable.
  • Genuine Ford USB Media Hub w/ Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Support.
  • Genuine Ford USB Cable.
  • Custom Hub power Harness.
  • Flash Remote Programmer - NO trip to the dealer required! (VIN Required During Checkout)
  • Mounting brackets.
  • Full printed instructions & live technical support.

OP
OP
7Boomerang7

7Boomerang7

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys, for reference too they kept or tossed the Ford cables. Also be aware to have Car Toys install a new HU, the install may be free of the HU only and they charge extra for the cables, Maestro Sync unit, SiriusXM receiver (they hooked it up to existing antenna, but the Ford receiver is in the headset so you have to get another), and they will charge extra labor on the Maestro, Sat radio. So my $400 head unit total cost to install with everything to make Sync 3 work came to almost $1200

OP
OP
7Boomerang7

7Boomerang7

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do these head units have VIN lock?

IOW, will the buyer have to go to the dealer to get it unlocked to work with their truck?

If so, that is an extra cost that needs to be considered.

Also, post pics of your JVC solution!

It wouldn't take a whole lot of convincing to get me to dump SYNC for a good aftermarket setup, it's just that SYNC is so ingrained with other functions like climate that I wonder about full compatibility.
I got rid of the CRAPPY JVC unit. It was awful. Replaced with a Kenwood Excelon DMX709S and an Alpine KTP-445U
84D2DD0E-63C5-4864-B819-F9A7DC7B4D22.jpeg

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
I got rid of the CRAPPY JVC unit. It was awful. Replaced with a Kenwood Excelon DMX709S and an Alpine KTP-445U
84D2DD0E-63C5-4864-B819-F9A7DC7B4D22.jpeg
We’re you able to keep the backup camera, Sync features & Bluetooth? I’m also looking to replace the 4.2 screen and be able to use AA.
Thanks.

OP
OP
7Boomerang7

7Boomerang7

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We’re you able to keep the backup camera, Sync features & Bluetooth? I’m also looking to replace the 4.2 screen and be able to use AA.
Thanks.
Yeah be advised even if you buy a unit and the place says they will install for free you’re still going to pay like $500 extra for parts and extra labor to install Maestro, new sat radio equipment and a lot of misc extra parts. The Ford system does not talk with new head units, etc. Also choose a head unit that says it has iData if you have voice commands, steering wheel tech package controls, tire psi monitoring and head unit controlled heat/AC stuff. Backup camera works. I returned the $300 JVC wife bought me because it didn’t have idata, upgraded to a different $400 JVC, hated it, returned in a week and got a Kenwood for $500, plus had them also install an Alpine in dash amp because sound was flatter without it. I think all said and done it costed about $1200
Sponsored