[Updated] Ranger Ford Performance Power Pack Performance Tune Software (M-9603-REB) Released!

OP
OP
Rinn69

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
A piggyback unit also known as a liar that will add more boost by lying to the PCM about how much there isn't and therefore have higher risk of blowing up your engine
@Frenchy Just out of curiosity, have you had a bad personal experience with the JB4 ? I've seen you reply a few times with the same piggyback "liar" comments. Seeing that you're a Ford Tech, maybe you've seen one of these have a "catastrophic failure" or the such. Or just trying to keep us safe ?‍♂ Just wondering why all the negativity towards Burger Motorsports/JB4 ?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
@Frenchy Just out of curiosity, have you had a bad personal experience with the JB4 ? I've seen you reply a few times with the same piggyback "liar" comments. Seeing that you're a Ford Tech, maybe you've seen one of these have a "catastrophic failure" or the such. Or just trying to keep us safe ?‍♂ Just wondering why all the negativity towards Burger Motorsports/JB4 ?
I cant say I have had a bad experience with JB4 because I haven't had any of thier products ever. To keep you guys safe? Absolutely. Think about it, when you just install a tune you can remove the tune(even though it will leave a trace for those who get curious). With a piggyback unit like JB4 it is hard wired in and im sure it will be in a nearby place where if engine removal happens it will be found and most wont think to remove it. How a piggyback unit wprks is simple, it lies to the PCM/ECM. How you might ask? For example, it takes the reading from the boost pressure sensor and changes that to the PCM. Example the boost sensor says we are at 16psi but JB4 tells the PCM that you only have 10psi. So in therms it will keep adding boost. But will it add the correct amount of fuel? Who can say, why risk it? If you are going to due a tune of any sort then do it the right way where the PCM has the parameters changed instead of being lied too. Go to a reputable tune as well like Ford Performance or Livernois. Thats the best way to go if you want to tune.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
JB4/JB1 has been sold to VW Golf owners for years and 1,000's upon 1'000's of units. If such a risk people would not keep buying. The VW forum would have info like this posted. Those who venture into level 6 could have issues just like any tune that pushes the upper limit. Want your warranty? JB4.
Greater risk is flashing the engine and hoping you have no warranty work that comes up.

Bottom line, if you drive it like a race car all the time, then be prepared to service it like a race car. In this case just get a custom tune. More options.

Most of us will just have a little faster commute taking a turn or two a little faster. JB4 will be fine here.

Last edited:

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I feel the same way about these piggyback ECUs. Its just tricking everything into doing what it wants, but is it getting the correct feedback to make an adjustment if you start to lean our push so much boost its just heating you IATs to unsafe levels for the fuel your using? I don't know the answer, my guess is it has to have someway of knowing.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
A piggyback unit also known as a liar that will add more boost by lying to the PCM about how much there isn't and therefore have higher risk of blowing up your engine
Yes, the hardware lies to the PCM, but, leaves ALL the OEM safety protocols and strategies intact.

Perfect? Nope, but I'd rather have the OEM Ford strategies in place than the potential of some half ass'ed fuel/pressure/knock/ignition maps that disable to PCM's ability to protect the engine.

If the Roush and Ford Performance tunes offered performance similar to Ford's stock Focus RS, the $$ for those tunes with warranty would be reasonable, even if a new down pipe and cat back had to go with the tune. As it is, 15 HP over adaptive 93 octane for well north of $700 is hard to justify, warranty or not.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Yes, the hardware lies to the PCM, but, leaves ALL the OEM safety protocols and strategies intact.

Perfect? Nope, but I'd rather have the OEM Ford strategies in place than the potential of some half ass'ed fuel/pressure/knock/ignition maps that disable to PCM's ability to protect the engine.

If the Roush and Ford Performance tunes offered performance similar to Ford's stock Focus RS, the $$ for those tunes with warranty would be reasonable, even if a new down pipe and cat back had to go with the tune. As it is, 15 HP over adaptive 93 octane for well north of $700 is hard to justify, warranty or not.
I think with having a 4cyl and a small turbo in the Ranger, all the tunes are close to being "at the limits" for the setup, so the price per horsepower isn't that great. Differences between 14hp and 40hp seems negligible even depending on cost. When you could couple a tune ($700) with a new turbo($800) and easily add 100hp or more, then you are talking.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
JB4/JB1 has been sold to VW Golf owners for years and 1,000's upon 1'000's of units. If such a risk people would not keep buying. The VW forum would have info like this posted. Those who venture into level 6 could have issues just like any tune that pushes the upper limit. Want your warranty? JB4.
Greater risk is flashing the engine and hoping you have no warranty work that comes up.

Bottom line, if you drive it like a race car all the time, then be prepared to service it like a race car. In this case just get a custom tune. More options.

Most of us will just have a little faster commute taking a turn or two a little faster. JB4 will be fine here.
VW Golf is a car, not a truck. With a truck you are more likely to be pulling a trailer or hauling stuff in the bed. A VW Golf on the other hand you might haul some groceries because your mother asked you to. In a small car you may be ok, in a truck like the Ranger I can guarantee you will be running into more problems than you want to deal with. If you want to tune your ranger do it the correct way like Ford Performance or Livernois or any othe reputable tuner that goes through everything correctly and still keeps your Factory safety protocals intact. No need to halfass it with a JB4.

Last edited:

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
VW Golf is a car, not a truck. With a truck you are more likely to be pulling a trailer or hauling stuff in the bed. A VW Golf on the other hand you might haul some groceries because your mother asked you to. In a small car you may be ok, in a truck like the Ranger I can guarantee you will be running into more problems than you want to deal with. If you want to tune your ranger do it the correct way like Ford Performance or Livernois or any othe reputable tuner that goes through everything correctly and still keeps your Factory safety protocals intact. No need to halfass it with a JB4.
You would be surprised.
Many in USA also tow.
There is a flip down tow hook mod one can do.

Tow capacity around 3,000lbs. About weight of vehicle. And that is a Golf with smaller engine.

Last edited:

Jpeterson

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
Self employed
Anybody have a good review of the FP tune?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I got tired of waiting on the backorder. Livernois arrives Monday.

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
So the instructions seem to indicate that an individual could download the to the “delivery tool” which is what you get for $450. You create an account on Ford Performance site, plug it into computer and it downloads the software to the delivery tool. There is nothing to indicate that that part of the process needs to be done by the dealer looking at the account creation part of Ford Performance or the dealer would add any value at that point - I guarantee that my dealer has never done anything like this. Even the process of using the tool once the software is loaded is anything that would have to be done by the dealer that is apparent in the instructions or couldn’t be done by an individual – EXCEPT that the dealer must do it to get the warranty. You buy the tool, download the software and take it to the dealer to flash the ECU. There is no way that should cost $300 in “labor” that I can see. I am afraid that they will want additional money to do the flash.
Dealer or any ASE certified mechanic.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I just ordered the FPP tune, 5/19/2020. Website said they expect shipping to take place in mid June. I am ok with that since I want to make sure the truck is fully broken in. Right now it has 1,044 miles on it. I'll be picking it up tomorrow from the body shop. (There was a problem with the paint and it is getting repainted from the front doors back, ugh!)
I plan on having the dealership do the install. Keeping the warranty is a factor for me. I mentioned it to the service writer when I dropped the truck off last week. He had not heard of the FPP tune before that. I hope they can handle it. Guess I'll cross that bridge next month.

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Anybody have a good review of the FP tune?
I'm digging the sh, uh, heck outta mine.
I just ordered the FPP tune, 5/19/2020. Website said they expect shipping to take place in mid June. I am ok with that since I want to make sure the truck is fully broken in. Right now it has 1,044 miles on it. I'll be picking it up tomorrow from the body shop. (There was a problem with the paint and it is getting repainted from the front doors back, ugh!)
I plan on having the dealership do the install. Keeping the warranty is a factor for me. I mentioned it to the service writer when I dropped the truck off last week. He had not heard of the FPP tune before that. I hope they can handle it. Guess I'll cross that bridge next month.
First time for my dealer. He got the first part downloaded to the tool, and the tool could read my vin. Unable to load the individual new software files from Ford without going to his home computer. Couldn't get the files through the firewall at the dealer. After that, piece of cake. Tagged me 300.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I'm digging the sh, uh, heck outta mine.

First time for my dealer. He got the first part downloaded to the tool, and the tool could read my vin. Unable to load the individual new software files from Ford without going to his home computer. Couldn't get the files through the firewall at the dealer. After that, piece of cake. Tagged me 300.
Yikes! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a quote from the dealership. I'll comment here with any information.

How are you liking the tune? My apologies if you have posted here with that info. There are sooooo many pages and I may have missed it.

Edit: Need more coffee!! I see your "review" in your comment now. Glad you like it. Bet I will too!
Sponsored