First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
There have been several excellent write-ups on this forum for various ways folks detail their Rangers. I just finished this video that covers all the things I've done to protect the exterior of my truck, and it's aimed at the complete novice. If you have never even so much as washed a car by hand before and want to know how to keep your Ranger looking great, check it out:
Sponsored

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
There have been several excellent write-ups on this forum for various ways folks detail their Rangers. I just finished this video that covers all the things I've done to protect the exterior of my truck, and it's aimed at the complete novice. If you have never even so much as washed a car by hand before and want to know how to keep your Ranger looking great, check it out:
Nice job!!!

wrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Cab XLT FX4 HPR, FZ1, KTM 500EXC, MONKEY
Vehicle Showcase
Kimball, This has been very helpful, because I didn't know what these processes entailed. Great video, thanks for all of your hard work!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Very good video @quangdog. I learned a lot.:like:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Good video Kimball. I'd only suggest one thing is adding grit guards with the grit guard washboards to both the wash and rinse buckets. This way you can rub the microfiber mitt against them and the dirt will sink to the bottom of the bucket. Not criticizing at all I'm just anal about detailing and my OCD is acting up. :)

https://www.detailedimage.com/Grit-Guard-M25/Washboard-P1229/Black-S1/

https://www.detailedimage.com/Grit-Guard-M25/Grit-Guard-Insert-P119/RED-S2/

Grit-Guard-Grit-Guard-Insert-RED_119_2_t_3564.jpg
Grit-Guard-Washboard-Black_1229_1_t_3254.jpg

Hoosier Daddy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
I do have a question if you please. I don't fully understand the film protection portion. You prepped the paint like you would for a ceramic coating. Then you put the film on top of the paint and the ceramic coating on top of the film? I thought you prepped the paint so that the ceramic coating would fully adhere to it but in this case the ceramic coating is not touching the paint and is on top of the film? What benefit is the film providing and what benefit is there to putting ceramic coating on top of film as opposed to directly on paint?

Thank you,
Dan

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
So when should we expect your video on washing your Ranger? :giggle:
Wait, you're not hoping to be the washer are you, cause yesterday you were telling us all how you wash your truck neck'id:tumbleweed:

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Good video Kimball. I'd only suggest one thing is adding grit guards with the grit guard washboards to both the wash and rinse buckets. This way you can rub the microfiber mitt against them and the dirt will sink to the bottom of the bucket. Not criticizing at all I'm just anal about detailing and my OCD is acting up. :)

https://www.detailedimage.com/Grit-Guard-M25/Washboard-P1229/Black-S1/

https://www.detailedimage.com/Grit-Guard-M25/Grit-Guard-Insert-P119/RED-S2/

Grit-Guard-Grit-Guard-Insert-RED_119_2_t_3564.jpg
Grit-Guard-Washboard-Black_1229_1_t_3254.jpg
Good suggestion. Thanks!

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I do have a question if you please. I don't fully understand the film protection portion. You prepped the paint like you would for a ceramic coating. Then you put the film on top of the paint and the ceramic coating on top of the film? I thought you prepped the paint so that the ceramic coating would fully adhere to it but in this case the ceramic coating is not touching the paint and is on top of the film? What benefit is the film providing and what benefit is there to putting ceramic coating on top of film as opposed to directly on paint?

Thank you,
Dan
Hi Dan - great question! You are right: I prepped everything to be ready for ceramic, then I installed the PPF - mostly because the prep for ceramic is more or less the same as the prep for PPF. Essentially both just need the surface to be polished and completely clean and free of any wax, soap, etc. As I mentioned in the video, the PPF is completely optional. However, I really hate rock chips, so I went ahead and did the PPF. Some people think that ceramic and ppf is an either-or situation... that you should choose one but not both. However, you can install ceramic coating right on top of a PPF layer, so you'll get all the physical protection of the ppf against rock chips and the water repellent protection of the ceramic coating on top. Ceramic on top of ppf is the best of both worlds.

I should note that I only installed ppf on the forward-facing areas of the truck: grill, bumpers, rear view mirrors, A pillars, front edge of the roof. I did not do the front of the hood because I already have a rock / bug deflector installed there.

Also: I did do a final wipe down of the entire vehicle with my IPA solution after installing the ppf and before installing the ceramic, so that everything (including the ppf) was completely clean.

Does all that make sense?

Mr. Boots

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Great content! Loved the video!

Question... The side vents on your truck, did you paint those? Mine have the chrome surround and I can't seem to find any other variants but saw yours and love them!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering