First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
First off very happy with the truck after these two mods.

The throttle response is much better due to the CAI, the low torque feels stronger, the high rpms feel the same. Driving in parking lots and city driving is much improved. I went with the dry filter. The Turbosmart BOV is a nice sound addition, when you want to hear it, you hear it. When your driving normal it’s as if it’s not even there, exactly what I was looking for. The BOV makes an audible sound you can hear inside and outside the truck. The CAI was a bit of a PITA to install but I think that’s because I’m not mechanical. The BOV was extremely easy to install. I’m happy to answer any questions with the installs or anything like that.

Overall I think it makes the truck just more fun to drive, worth it for me. I was surprised the first time feeling the difference with the new CAI and the audible sound of the BOV.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase

The throttle response is much better due to the CAI, the low torque feels stronger, the high rpms feel the same. Driving in parking lots and city driving is much improved. I went with the dry filter. The Turbosmart BOV is a nice sound addition, when you want to hear it, you hear it. When your driving normal it’s as if it’s not even there, exactly what I was looking for. The BOV makes an audible sound you can hear inside and outside the truck. The CAI was a bit of a PITA to install but I think that’s because I’m not mechanical. The BOV was extremely easy to install. I’m happy to answer any questions with the installs or anything like that.

Overall I think it makes the truck just more fun to drive, worth it for me. I was surprised the first time feeling the difference with the new CAI and the audible sound of the BOV.
Cool....how was the BOV to get to ? Any downside to running that ?

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Baking
Cool....how was the BOV to get to ? Any downside to running that ?
The BOV is very easy to get to.

I've noticed zero downsides. Someone on here claimed that a BOV reduces power, if this is the case it is negligible.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If you really like the noise the BOV makes, then route the exhaust to the cabin, and really enjoy it! If you do it correctly, it'll even pop your ears!

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
I have the CAI and really like it, and I get better mileage on the highway which I do a lot of time on, 1000km every other weekend. Add the vellosatech intake and I am down to 9.1L/100km (sticker is 10.9L/100km)

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I’d bet money there’s no difference in power, you just think there is lol

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Baking
I’d bet money there’s no difference in power, you just think there is lol
Throttle response is better is situations of <5 mph. I understand that might sound dumb but it is a small improvement. I would agree on paper almost 0 difference would appear(Dyno). Also my average MPG roughly went from 18 to 21 over the past month I've had the CAI on.

Last edited:

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
Throttle response is better is situations of <5 mph. I understand that might sound dumb but it is a small improvement. I would agree on paper almost 0 difference would appear(Dyno). Also my average MPG roughly went from 18 to 21 over the past month I've had the CAI on.
I was getting around 11.5-12.5 L/100km with stock intake, I installed the aFe Quantum and the scoop as well and it went into the 13’s, with the Mishimoto and the velossatech it’s way better. I do notice a bit more lag, nothing major, but when I stick it in sport and giver it brings the smiles and makes a neat sound. I find though city driving I get a weird drone when accelerating sometimes.

I would recommend the Mishi intake for sure.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
If you think the CAI install was difficult, stay away from a catch can! :LOL:

I'm very happy with my Mishi CAI. In addition, I have their Intercooler with charge pipes and catch can. All top quality IMO.

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Baking

I'm very happy with my Mishi CAI. In addition, I have their Intercooler with charge pipes and catch can. All top quality IMO.
Honestly, the hardest part was getting the screws that go into the wheel fender out. Then the hardest part was getting these same screws tight due to the screws being inside the CAI. When I get the Gibson exhaust and Fox shocks installed I might have them throw on a catch can too.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, the hardest part was getting the screws that go into the wheel fender out. Then the hardest part was getting these same screws tight due to the screws being inside the CAI. When I get the Gibson exhaust and Fox shocks installed I might have them throw on a catch can too.
Yup. Since I am doing so many mods, I have had to pull the intake box out several times. It is especially difficult when the truck is on jack stands due to the height, lol.

In fact, when I installed my underbody lighting, one of the LED's is right under the CAI and I needed an access hole to route the cable into the engine bay. I didn't realize until the job was done that I used one of the bolt holes for the CAI. After thinking about it for a bit, I opted to only have 1 of those bolts attached and leave my cable as is. :giggle:

speedczar

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Trucker

I had a hard time installing that oil catch can there ( took me months, then I broke down and paid my mechanic to do it ).

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
I had a hard time installing that oil catch can there ( took me months, then I broke down and paid my mechanic to do it ).
Understandable. I might do the same for my downpipe. I tried removing it the other day and couldn't get a single nut loose. I didn't have a swivel though, so I am going to try again with some additional tools. If I don't get anywhere, ill pay to have it installed.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
You know what I found weird. I drove 11k miles on my exhaust, roush cai and tune, but after I put the the BOV in, I felt better throttle response and it feels it holds it's "momentum"? Could be placebo, but it really feels different. I will keep it on, the gas smells rich and I kind of like that gas smell, like gunpowder :crackup:

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package

I'm running the same thing.
IMG_20210423_213234_146.jpg

IMG_20210423_213234_229.jpg

Sponsored