Tune or dual exhaust?

robusta

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Trying to decide which to do first, tune with the ford tune or get the dual exhaust out the back. Dont have a specific goal of anything. Like both ...opinions...
I would go with the idrive($200), exhaust ($600, mbrp dual rear exit), then tuner($600, Livernois). Idrive will make it feel a lot faster, the exhaust will sound and look better than stock. Then if you're still craving power get the tune.
Sponsored

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
A tune will defiantly help with the low end bog. Drop it in S mode and a tune will wake it up even more than that.

As far as the tire pressure just remember that also having less contact on the road will hurt you if/when you need to stop fast. Also more chances of hydroplaning with less rubber on the ground but that's not much of an issue here as we get about 9" of rain per year. If you like the stiffer ride and realize the downside then I'd keep them where you feel they're the most comfortable. Maybe after you tune it you can play around with the psi and adjust from there. :)
I agree. I drive about 60 mph on the freeway in the slow lane. I'm in everyone's way, all the time. I was getting around 25.5 mph (428 miles per tank) but that was before tires. Now I am getting 24.4 (398ish miles per tank) and I don't know how fast I'm going. Lol. I do like the way the truck accelerates on 91 octane. I prefer premium, especially in the hottest part of the summer. In the cooler months, 87 is just fine.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
While a tune does significantly increase HP and TQ, that low end bog you are probably not happy with actually has nothing to do with the engine factory power.

It is the electronic controlled throttle body. Back in the day a physical wire connected your gas pedal to the throttle body, now its all electronic. This is how Sport mode feels more responsive, however it holds the gears far too long for most peoples taste.

If you just want the truck to go when you press the pedal with your big toe regardless if you are just grocery shopping or actually trying to go fast, look at something like the iDrive or Pedal Commander.

However for about $200 more you can get a tuner, which also does the same function as the above devices.

I describe the factory throttle response as squishy and sluggish. Like 1/4 pedal depression to even start moving. The above products make it so any pressure on the pedal begins the truck moving.
Thanks for the info

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
You can do what you want to these motors in terms of exhaust , unless you add a Fart can, there is no way you can make it sound like a Civic ...
Regards
1622413412927.jpeg
Fart can...LOL!

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
You can do what you want to these motors in terms of exhaust , unless you add a Fart can, there is no way you can make it sound like a Civic ...
Regards
1622413412927.jpeg
Ok maybe not a exactly a Civic but very close to every single 4cyl with an aftermarket exhaust. Haha!
Personally people can do whatever they want to their truck….it’s theirs! I was just making a joke.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
Ok maybe not a exactly a Civic but very close to every single 4cyl with an aftermarket exhaust. Haha!
Personally people can do whatever they want to their truck….it’s theirs! I was just making a joke.
We know and it was a great joke. You got positive traction on that joke from everyone and that is hard to do. Without that joke, we wouldn't have been blessed with the words: Fart Can. I've been walking around for the last day saying fart can in my head and giggling. I can't wait to go back to work and use it in the right moment. Happy Memorial day.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
I agree with the others and get the tune first. You can then see the gains and judge if you really want to spend the money on the exhaust. I know you're looking at the Ford tune but one thing to keep in mind is it requires premium only. With the Livernois tune you can go to the 87-89 tune and save some money at the pump while still having performance. It's nice to have with gas going crazy right now.
It’s crazy now but was insane about 10 years ago ish. I remember a filling up my 2007 Expedition EL with its 33.5 gallon tank. Felt like they were gonna ask if I wanted to finance it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It’s crazy now but was insane about 10 years ago ish. I remember a filling up my 2007 Expedition EL with its 33.5 gallon tank. Felt like they were gonna ask if I wanted to finance it.
I remember that too. I had my F150 and the pumps would stop at $90-$100. So when gas was over $4.00/gal and I was really low I would have to do two transactions. :curse:

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
I missed that part about the Ford Tune (87 vs 89). That is a deal breaker for me. I like options. I also like it when people say, "I did this. It was good. I recommend it."

...and look at gas prices now!

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I missed that part about the Ford Tune (87 vs 89). That is a deal breaker for me. I like options. I also like it when people say, "I did this. It was good. I recommend it."

...and look at gas prices now!

Yes the Ford tune requires premium. I have the Livernois tune and you get all 5 of their tunes. Like you said it's nice to have options for when gas prices spike and you still want to run a tune you have the 87-89 tune as a backup.

Here's the Livernois tunes you'll get:

87-89 performance & soft shift
91-93 performance & soft shift
tow tune

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631157

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
Yes the Ford tune requires premium. I have the Livernois tune and you get all 5 of their tunes. Like you said it's nice to have options for when gas prices spike and you still want to run a tune you have the 87-89 tune as a backup.

Here's the Livernois tunes you'll get:

87-89 performance & soft shift
91-93 performance & soft shift
tow tune

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP631157
I have looked at the page and was leaning towards Livernois. I don't really want a pedal commander and a tune. I think that one of the 5 tunes above will remove the sluggish start I don't like. I was hoping to get a skip-shift removal option for "D". I also want to be able to make the adjustment for tire size.

I'd also like to get a economy tune just to pull all the MPGs out then I want to. Past experience is that a performance tune and economy tune are the same thing.

Can anyone talk me out of Livernois? I'm all ears.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have looked at the page and was leaning towards Livernois. I don't really want a pedal commander and a tune. I think that one of the 5 tunes above will remove the sluggish start I don't like. I was hoping to get a skip-shift removal option for "D". I also want to be able to make the adjustment for tire size.

I'd also like to get a economy tune just to pull all the MPGs out then I want to. Past experience is that a performance tune and economy tune are the same thing.

Can anyone talk me out of Livernois? I'm all ears.
Another one that will give you a custom tune is Unleashed. He has a variety of different tunes and can tweak yours to what you need.

With the Livernois Mycal you will be able to adjust for tire size. I've been running the 91-93 performance tune since August and really like it. You can see by my Fuelly sig I'm averaging 21.9 mpg which is about 65% city and 35% highway and a few WOT.

BTW I like your new occupation. :LOL::LOL:

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
Another one that will give you a custom tune is Unleashed. He has a variety of different tunes and can tweak yours to what you need.

With the Livernois Mycal you will be able to adjust for tire size. I've been running the 91-93 performance tune since August and really like it. You can see by my Fuelly sig I'm averaging 21.9 mpg which is about 65% city and 35% highway and a few WOT.

BTW I like your new occupation. :LOL::LOL:
I changed occupation. Thanks for all the info.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase