Truck hesitation after start up

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
Good afternoon all,

My 2020 Ranger has only 4,000 miles on it and recently noticed that when I start the car up and drive off after 30 seconds to a minute the car seems to have a hesitation in taking off with a bit of a hard shift once or twice then is fine after that. This happens after the car has been sitting for awhile. I asked Ford to look at it and they said there was nothing wrong and it was normal operation. There are no codes that come up and I have already changed the oil to full synthetic at 3,000 miles. Any ideas why this would occur?

Thank you
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Good afternoon all,

My 2020 Ranger has only 4,000 miles on it and recently noticed that when I start the car up and drive off after 30 seconds to a minute the car seems to have a hesitation in taking off with a bit of a hard shift once or twice then is fine after that. This happens after the car has been sitting for awhile. I asked Ford to look at it and they said there was nothing wrong and it was normal operation. There are no codes that come up and I have already changed the oil to full synthetic at 3,000 miles. Any ideas why this would occur?

Thank you
Mine is doing the same thing after sitting for a few days. It seems normal after driving half a block.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Good afternoon all,

Thank you
I usually let mine warm up until the rpms drop. If I'm in a hurry and don't wait long enough I'll get a little hesitation for about a mile or so. Next time try letting it warm up a bit longer and see if that helps.

OP
OP
Overland395

Overland395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
Thanks guys, It just started doing that shortly after the oil change and I'm heading out of town tomorrow on a trip and was worried it might have a problem.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I usually let mine warm up until the rpms drop. If I'm in a hurry and don't wait long enough I'll get a little hesitation for about a mile or so. Next time try letting it warm up a bit longer and see if that helps.
I’m going to second Dave’s recommendation. The engine coolant helps bring transmission up to temperature. When at temp it shifts smoothly.when it’s not their a little harder shifts until it warms up. Also stops the cement mixer fan mode too.

So my typical startup cold is high rpm at start. Stays there a few minutes and then drops, about 20 to 30 seconds it drops one more time. Then I drop into drive and smooth shifts and no fan roar.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
My truck usually sits in the garage for many days, sometimes up to a week. Then, once I start it I let sync come to life which takes 10 seconds or so, then it takes me a bit of maneuvering to back out of the garage and driveway to get through a gauntlet of bushes and trees to make it to the street. So, it's usually a minute or 2 after starting to get out. I've never had the issue. I wouldn't worry much about it unless it gets worse.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I still get the fan roar, but only for about the first block or so and then things quiet down significantly.
Rough shift continues for a couple of miles, though.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
On first drive of the day, If you ease on the throttle at take off with an idea of maybe hitting 25 at the 50-60ft line, the shifting will be normal. Heavy peddle/higher rpm seem to aide the rough shifting, especially more noticeable in cooler weather...YRMV
Sponsored