Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Why did you have to run the cables to the fuse box in the cab? There are fuse boxes in the engine bay?
I honestly don’t remember but i recall it having something to do with some advice to never mess with engine fuses for more risk of fire ?
I also remember having a hard time finding which fuses allowed to run directly with the cabin lights to avoid battery burnout in case of leaving anything on and this seemed to be the most logical solution .
Honestly wasn’t too difficult but an engine bay solution would have made it a 10 minute install and would have gone with that !
I’ve been so busy i haven’t been able to do any work on the truck in 6 months , i need to catch back up but this forum ends up costing me $$$$ LOL
Sponsored

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
It is because there are available unused fuses in the cabin that can be utilized as "trigger" fuses, aka the wiring is only energized with the the vehicle turned on. That way you don't run into any issues of a slow power drain. I would assume that it also just means one less wire running to your switch box from the engine bay meaning one less wire to screw with getting into the cabin and exposed to elements.

My switch box is setup using a cabin trigger fuse. The only wires I had to worry about running to my switch box from the exterior is power and each accessory line. One less wire in the cold,heat, wet, dry, mud, the better IMO. I still have my relays setup in the engine pay but...

I'm actually about to build a poor man's trigger control box from scratch. I'm just debating the best location for ease of access for repairs / additions / deletes. Thinking I might put it in a waterproof box at the back of the truck bed to be honest. That way all accessories from the front to the rear is somewhat equally spaced (in regards to wire lengths).

Last edited:

Seawulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
It is because there are available unused fuses in the cabin that can be utilized as "trigger" fuses, aka the wiring is only energized with the the vehicle turned on. That way you don't run into any issues of a slow power drain. I would assume that it also just means one less wire running to your switch box from the engine bay meaning one less wire to screw with getting into the cabin and exposed to elements.

My switch box is setup using a cabin trigger fuse. The only wires I had to worry about running to my switch box from the exterior is power and each accessory line. One less wire in the cold,heat, wet, dry, mud, the better IMO. I still have my relays setup in the engine pay but...

I'm actually about to build a poor man's trigger control box from scratch. I'm just debating the best location for ease of access for repairs / additions / deletes. Thinking I might put it in a waterproof box at the back of the truck bed to be honest. That way all accessories from the front to the rear is somewhat equally spaced (in regards to wire lengths).
I was the same way. I wanted to build a 6 relay box and do all the wire running myself with a lightforce fascia. Ended up deciding to use the fascia for brake controller and comms plugs and going with the trigger 6 shooter. For the parts cost and time I would be spending 150 more for the trigger to have wireless and orebuilt system.
Sponsored