First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
which length cross bar did you go with? In the Yakima site it says there are 3 sizes to choose from.
thanks!
You want 60, or it will look too odd with a lot of extra bar hanging off the end. I have 60s with my Overhaul HD. I still think a little too much bar sticks out, but the 55 length would just quite not fit.
Sponsored

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 Wrangler, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
which length cross bar did you go with? In the Yakima site it says there are 3 sizes to choose from.
thanks!
My Bars are the Large (68") bars. Most stick a bit smaller, and if you plan on doing any tight trails and harder off-roading, I would recommend a smaller size, as these do stick out a bit, and in off camber situations, you could hook something. But for those types of trails, I have a Jeep! In any other situation, I love them! I chose this length so I could have the maximum potential of attachment locations on the bars. At times I carry 3 or even 4 kayaks, as well as winter attachments as well, and the 68" bars give me plenty of space to situate everything on the rack with a nice distribution. This is as wide as I would go though. In many states, you have to make sure that everything is less in width than the outside mirrors of the vehicle to be legal, so I measured I believe 72" from the outside of each outside mirror and selected the 68" bars to just fit inside that! I also like the bars for loading kayaks from the ground on the side as you can hook one end of the kayak on a bar and use it to rotate up being that the bars stick out a bit more!

Personally, I prefer the look with the bigger bars as well and it doesn't look out of place. I think the shorter bars look almost too small, or like there is something missing from the rack, but that is all personal preference and desired applications. As I mentioned, the main reason I select these was the extra use of those 8" more on the bars for everything I might put up there!

Here's the installation of the bars on my build page as well as some more pictures: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/wxnerd2015s-hot-pepper-red-fx4.2217/post-44220