Installed RSI SmartCap with decked (5 foot bed)

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
With the hatch open and the fridge on a Decked, will a fridge fit on a slide out using RSI Smartcap? (See picture - I think of a Taco)
According to that user’s write up, he had to trip his topper a bit. Wondering if RSI is tall enough to avoid trimming?
It's a hair over 25-inches on SmartCap with Decked
Sponsored

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
So I’ve decided to sell my decked system. Now that I have the smartcap, I don’t need a waterproof solution and want to build something custom. Asking $750 incl dividers and 2 tool boxes. It 1x2 inch both h in each back corner.

DJulif

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Field Service Engineer - Medical Imaging
Hi All

Got this done at the weekend. Took me about 8 hours to install brackets (including adapting decked brackets) and assemble (all solo). Getting the sides in the slots is a real pain and those 40 or so load spreaders on the front and back are a royal PITA.

A buddy came to help me lift it. We put a 2x6 between two short ladders and lifted it onto that. My buddy balanced it while I backed in. The cap was about 6 inches below the rails. We lifted it forward half onto the rails and onto 2 pieces of 3/4 EMT conduit spanning the rails. This allowed us to simply roll it back and forth on the conduit the get the position accurate.

Some notes
  • There is not enough closed cell foam to fill the gap between the front of the bed and the rails (see pic). Luckily I had just enough D Gasket left, so I put down supplied closed cell foam and then the left over D Gasket. (Couldn't face another trip to Lowes :))
  • The front and rear mounting brackets need to sit about 3/4 inch above the rails. do not tighten the bolts anchoring these to the truck bed until the cap is installed and bolted to these
  • There is no harness for the 3rd brake light (and apparently it doesn't work with tow-package anyway), so now, after spending $4k, I'm driving an illegal vehicle. Nothing from RSI support yet
  • Single mod I made to the decked system was cutting out a piece about 2-inch x 3-inch on back corners (see pic below)
  • I used longer bolts to attach the cap tot he brackets
  • The topper is about 4 inched higher than the cab. Wasn't aware of that as there are so few pix on RSI site.

Here's some pix (finished one is a poor, in-garage shot with wide angle, will post some better ones soon)

Thanks to FourSquare for his posts: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/decked-w-topper.9602/page-2#post-200007

SmartCap Garage 2.jpeg

I basically kept the decked front mount, placed it on top of RSI mount, marked a hole and then cut a horizontal slot (3 drill holes) - see below. By using a spacer between the decked support arm and decked mounting bracket, I didn't have to cut the support arm or the front of the top decking. It moved the drawers back about 1/2 inch, which is no big deal (for me)

Decked bracket with spacer.jpg

Slot cut in front support for decked bolt to pass through
Cut this slot after the cap is fully installed, as that's when you'll know the final height of the front and rear supports. You could just drill one hole but the slot gives you side to side adjustment on the drawers.

Slot for decked.jpeg

I left about 1/8 inch gap between the top of the front support and rear supports and the cap, so that the gasket would compress as I tightened the bolts. The mounting flanges on the cap bend easily, so don't leave too big a gap. Zero about what to do in the install guide, so no idea what's correct

Front Support Brackets2.jpeg

rear bracket installed

Rear support brackets.jpeg

This was the only mod required to the decked system. Cut about 2x3 notch to allow for the rear supports

Decked Cut out.jpeg

[/There is no harness for the 3rd brake light (and apparently it doesn't work with tow-package anyway)]
New to the forum, was searching to see if this combo had been done. Thank you for posting. I have the decked system on a 6' ext cab, and with new job need a cap. Were you able to resolve the third brake light? I thought for the solution might be to T-tap into trailer harness connection. Is there something more going on electrically that you found?

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Was there. A question

FlyingMonkey435

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Trapper
Was there. A question
I've got one. If you haven't removed the Decked system yet would you mind measuring the distance from the top of the Decked to the underside of the rear opening of the RSI SmartCap. Trying to determine if a particular fridge and slide will work. Thanks!

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I've got one. If you haven't removed the Decked system yet would you mind measuring the distance from the top of the Decked to the underside of the rear opening of the RSI SmartCap. Trying to determine if a particular fridge and slide will work. Thanks!
already removed but I measured and posted here somewhere. IIRC it is just over 25 inches, My DZ75 goes in easily

Ray_kayak_guy

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
Hi All

Got this done at the weekend. Took me about 8 hours to install brackets (including adapting decked brackets) and assemble (all solo). Getting the sides in the slots is a real pain and those 40 or so load spreaders on the front and back are a royal PITA.

A buddy came to help me lift it. We put a 2x6 between two short ladders and lifted it onto that. My buddy balanced it while I backed in. The cap was about 6 inches below the rails. We lifted it forward half onto the rails and onto 2 pieces of 3/4 EMT conduit spanning the rails. This allowed us to simply roll it back and forth on the conduit the get the position accurate.

Some notes
  • There is not enough closed cell foam to fill the gap between the front of the bed and the rails (see pic). Luckily I had just enough D Gasket left, so I put down supplied closed cell foam and then the left over D Gasket. (Couldn't face another trip to Lowes :))
  • The front and rear mounting brackets need to sit about 3/4 inch above the rails. do not tighten the bolts anchoring these to the truck bed until the cap is installed and bolted to these
  • There is no harness for the 3rd brake light (and apparently it doesn't work with tow-package anyway), so now, after spending $4k, I'm driving an illegal vehicle. Nothing from RSI support yet
  • Single mod I made to the decked system was cutting out a piece about 2-inch x 3-inch on back corners (see pic below)
  • I used longer bolts to attach the cap tot he brackets
  • The topper is about 4 inched higher than the cab. Wasn't aware of that as there are so few pix on RSI site.

Here's some pix (finished one is a poor, in-garage shot with wide angle, will post some better ones soon)

Thanks to FourSquare for his posts: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/decked-w-topper.9602/page-2#post-200007

SmartCap Garage 2.jpeg

I basically kept the decked front mount, placed it on top of RSI mount, marked a hole and then cut a horizontal slot (3 drill holes) - see below. By using a spacer between the decked support arm and decked mounting bracket, I didn't have to cut the support arm or the front of the top decking. It moved the drawers back about 1/2 inch, which is no big deal (for me)

Slot cut in front support for decked bolt to pass through
Cut this slot after the cap is fully installed, as that's when you'll know the final height of the front and rear supports. You could just drill one hole but the slot gives you side to side adjustment on the drawers.

Slot for decked.jpeg

I left about 1/8 inch gap between the top of the front support and rear supports and the cap, so that the gasket would compress as I tightened the bolts. The mounting flanges on the cap bend easily, so don't leave too big a gap. Zero about what to do in the install guide, so no idea what's correct

rear bracket installed

Rear support brackets.jpeg

This was the only mod required to the decked system. Cut about 2x3 notch to allow for the rear supports

Decked Cut out.jpeg

Hi Mark, Any far away shots of the Decked bracket and RSI bracket - I'm installing mine this weekend.

BabaBooey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Just curious, how come RSI doesn't use clamps for the Ranger? I have a Decked unit and really want the SmartCap, but not sure if I'm up to the challenge of installing this with a Decked system. I see it took you 8 hours. Was it difficult? I guess I could sell the Decked and build another drawer system, but I really like the Decked.

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Just curious, how come RSI doesn't use clamps for the Ranger? I have a Decked unit and really want the SmartCap, but not sure if I'm up to the challenge of installing this with a Decked system. I see it took you 8 hours. Was it difficult? I guess I could sell the Decked and build another drawer system, but I really like the Decked.
Clamps are horrible IMO. The RSI install process is much better. Well worth investing the time

FlyingMonkey435

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Trapper
It's a hair over 25-inches on SmartCap with Decked
I'm looking at purchasing a collapsible dog crate and I'm trying to determine if it'll fit on top of a Decked system and under a SmartCap. There are two height options that work with my pup. One is 30" and the other is 34", which is ideal. Seeing as how it's collapsible I can get it in past the door, but once expanded is there any chance that the combination could accommodate a 30" or 34" tall kennel? Can anyone confirm the clearance from the top of the Decked system to the underside of the roof of the SmartCap? Thanks!

BabaBooey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Finally installed mine today. Wasn’t difficult at all to put together. I took my time and watched a few videos. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely assemble it on a table or work bench. Putting it together on the floor was tough on my back and made for a few difficult angles. I had a friend help me set it on the truck.
Ended up having to take out the Decked system. I was able to install the front RSI brackets without taking it out, but the ammo cans were in the way for installing the rear brackets. Had to make a couple small cuts to the front and rear of the Decked top. Everything fit back in perfectly.
27DA3BE8-B1A2-4E4C-8657-C576EA3C3404.jpeg
ACB520DD-E8B4-4501-BD47-FF6B04F0477C.jpeg
992A83B8-6B2F-4B1B-9C38-8590845D0D76.jpeg
C2764E8E-43BF-43BD-9148-6F2585D5D41E.jpeg
C43C4F33-6AFF-4F5B-B303-C2D79141B30D.jpeg