Transporting Downhill Skis, 5' Bed

Dslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, Lariat, FX4, Shadow Black
I am interested in seeing how skiers get their gear to the hill. With a 5' bed you can get skis in diagonally, but that does not seem too ideal. Putting a rack on a bed topper or going with the Yakima Overhaul are the only options I can think of, but then there is the concern about garage height clearance. If anyone has figured out other solutions, I would love to hear about them. thanks.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I am interested in seeing how skiers get their gear to the hill. With a 5' bed you can get skis in diagonally, but that does not seem too ideal. Putting a rack on a bed topper or going with the Yakima Overhaul are the only options I can think of, but then there is the concern about garage height clearance. If anyone has figured out other solutions, I would love to hear about them. thanks.
Only other thing I can think of would be a bed extender. I always had a travel bag for mine and you could store them in there and they wouldn't slide out the back or put a 2x4 across the bed in back of the front bindings to lock them in place?

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I will have to figure out something too. I have racks for the Subaru but when I go myself will be taking the truck.

Cant wait for Brundage to open.

With past trucks I always had a ski bag and a bed long enough.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This winter, I'll be using the Overhaul since I already have that for the Kayaks. With the standard antenna, the Overhaul doesn't need to be higher, leaving garage clearance a non-issue. But long term, I'm thinking about putting on a (second) set of cross bars just above the bed using the T slots on the retractable tonneau cover, coupled with a T Slot Tower. This will keep the skis down right over top of the bed instead of up 6 feet in the sky. It'll also allow me to put a basket on half of it for summer use, where I could put the cooler and firewood, opening up a ton of bed space for other stuff... but for the moment that's not necessary, so it hasn't happened yet.

All of the above is assuming you have a retractable tonneau cover. If you don't have one at all, then you can use the BedRock HD system, and get the same sort of result as I described with them being right above the bed. Or you can install a support bar right by the top of the tail gate and put them in such that the overhang a bit over the top of the tailgate... though that might be length dependent now that I say that. Our 5' 1'' bed should be 155cm long (or just under)... So figure anything <150 wouldn't be a problem. Going diagonal across the 4' bed, gains you about about 190cm. So SG and DH skis wouldn't fit... but you gotta really be specialized and dedicated to have those. Popping it up over the tailgate of 18'' inches, gives you a length of 161 - so a standard male 165cm Slalom would stay upright there and you wouldn't really have a problem. So if your skis fall into the 155-160 range, then they're not going to want to stay on your support bar unless you block the front of it, which should be easy enough.

But if you have a non-retractable tonneau cover, then you have a bit of a concern. You can't really do any over bed system, as the tonneau is in the way, and you can't really do any in-bed system since putting them diagonal takes too much space. The best thing I can think of would be to do a hitch mounted rack, but if you're concerned about garage height, you're likely also concerned about garage length, and that could interfere with that. I believe there's also the option of the wildtrak style of cab roof rails that you could install. The height on that would probably end up being slightly higher than the Overhaul though, so depending on your clearance, that might not work either.

Obviously there's $$ associated with most of these solutions, and I'm ignoring that factor and just listing out options. Let me know if you come up with any others, as I'm always in the market for options.

OP
OP

Dslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This winter, I'll be using the Overhaul since I already have that for the Kayaks. With the standard antenna, the Overhaul doesn't need to be higher, leaving garage clearance a non-issue. But long term, I'm thinking about putting on a (second) set of cross bars just above the bed using the T slots on the retractable tonneau cover, coupled with a T Slot Tower. This will keep the skis down right over top of the bed instead of up 6 feet in the sky. It'll also allow me to put a basket on half of it for summer use, where I could put the cooler and firewood, opening up a ton of bed space for other stuff... but for the moment that's not necessary, so it hasn't happened yet.

All of the above is assuming you have a retractable tonneau cover. If you don't have one at all, then you can use the BedRock HD system, and get the same sort of result as I described with them being right above the bed. Or you can install a support bar right by the top of the tail gate and put them in such that the overhang a bit over the top of the tailgate... though that might be length dependent now that I say that. Our 5' 1'' bed should be 155cm long (or just under)... So figure anything <150 wouldn't be a problem. Going diagonal across the 4' bed, gains you about about 190cm. So SG and DH skis wouldn't fit... but you gotta really be specialized and dedicated to have those. Popping it up over the tailgate of 18'' inches, gives you a length of 161 - so a standard male 165cm Slalom would stay upright there and you wouldn't really have a problem. So if your skis fall into the 155-160 range, then they're not going to want to stay on your support bar unless you block the front of it, which should be easy enough.

But if you have a non-retractable tonneau cover, then you have a bit of a concern. You can't really do any over bed system, as the tonneau is in the way, and you can't really do any in-bed system since putting them diagonal takes too much space. The best thing I can think of would be to do a hitch mounted rack, but if you're concerned about garage height, you're likely also concerned about garage length, and that could interfere with that. I believe there's also the option of the wildtrak style of cab roof rails that you could install. The height on that would probably end up being slightly higher than the Overhaul though, so depending on your clearance, that might not work either.

Obviously there's $$ associated with most of these solutions, and I'm ignoring that factor and just listing out options. Let me know if you come up with any others, as I'm always in the market for options.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback! I would be good using the minimum 19" height on the Overhaul, but with something like the Skybox 18, the box would extend past the end of the truck. Not sure if that would be a problem? Need to accommodate a 188 ski, so the Skybox 16 wouldn't work. Will either go with a bed cap or retractable tonneau with the T slot rails. I'll be purchasing the truck in the spring, so I've got some time to figure this out.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, appreciate the feedback! I would be good using the minimum 19" height on the Overhaul, but with something like the Skybox 18, the box would extend past the end of the truck. Not sure if that would be a problem? Need to accommodate a 188 ski, so the Skybox 16 wouldn't work. Will either go with a bed cap or retractable tonneau with the T slot rails. I'll be purchasing the truck in the spring, so I've got some time to figure this out.
Good point. I forgot about the actual sky box. I have just a rack from my old Escape, so it's only 4'' tall or something like that. I will say that I was really hesitant to buy the retractable tonneau due to the cost, and the downside of giving up additional bed storage in an already small bed, but now that I have it, I really like it. It functions well, and the t slots add so much more capability to the truck. For the winter right now, I just have eyelets installed, but it allows me to put the cooler on top of the tonneau cover as we go to the in laws for xmas, opening up the bed for the gifts and bags and whatnot, while still having the backseat available for when we pick up my sister on the way.

But back on topic, if you are only concerned about ski capability, then why not grab the Outpost instead of the Overhaul? At 13'' high, you shouldn't have a problem with your box clearing the garage height (though the box is longer than the tailgate, so is the extra 6'' it extends going to be a problem in your garage?).

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP

Dslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good point. I forgot about the actual sky box. I have just a rack from my old Escape, so it's only 4'' tall or something like that. I will say that I was really hesitant to buy the retractable tonneau due to the cost, and the downside of giving up additional bed storage in an already small bed, but now that I have it, I really like it. It functions well, and the t slots add so much more capability to the truck. For the winter right now, I just have eyelets installed, but it allows me to put the cooler on top of the tonneau cover as we go to the in laws for xmas, opening up the bed for the gifts and bags and whatnot, while still having the backseat available for when we pick up my sister on the way.

But back on topic, if you are only concerned about ski capability, then why not grab the Outpost instead of the Overhaul? At 13'' high, you shouldn't have a problem with your box clearing the garage height (though the box is longer than the tailgate, so is the extra 6'' it extends going to be a problem in your garage?).
Yeah, length is a concern unless I completely reconfigure my garage shelving. The box on this setup is 81" long, whereas the one I would need is 9" longer. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/its-time-for-a-road-trip.2348/. That's a pretty big extension past the tailgate. Ultimately, I might just have to go with a topper with a ski rack rather than a box.

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
I would suggest putting just a regular “roof-rack” on the bed like I did on mine (full disclosure I do have a railed tonneau cover but you could get rails installed directly to the bed if you don’t want to get a tonneau cover.). I only carry mountain bikes but you could fit ski racks instead and only the tip of the skis would stick out, not a big plastic box. Just my 2 cents.

BE145902-8DB4-4AE3-BCFC-555DA23FC699.jpeg

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest putting just a regular “roof-rack” on the bed like I did on mine (full disclosure I do have a railed tonneau cover but you could get rails installed directly to the bed if you don’t want to get a tonneau cover.). I only carry mountain bikes but you could fit ski racks instead and only the tip of the skis would stick out, not a big plastic box. Just my 2 cents.

BE145902-8DB4-4AE3-BCFC-555DA23FC699.jpeg
I'm sure there's a thread about it somewhere because I'm not the only person who'd be interested... but am I right in assuming those are the wildtrak roof rails you've installed? How'd that process go?

Bonchexmix

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
I struggled a lot when choosing a proper tonneau cover solution that would work with skis. I decided to get the TruXedo Sentry CT because of its quality, resistance to puncture, performance in the cold, and the ability to take the whole thing off in less than a minute. I also didn't want the huge chunk of a retractable cover sitting in my bed and the need to store it if I want to take it off, but that limited almost any kind of bed rail system.

After my 3" lift and getting 33's, I think getting a cab roof rack would be too tall (my antenna already scrapes when going into my garage at home). I have 175cm powder skis and they fit just fine diagonally in the 5' bed, and I was thinking of buying a bed rug/mat so the skis don't slide around on the spray-in bed liner.

Like khyros said, having a non-retractable tonneau cover is very limiting for snow sports. The tow hitch option might be the way to go, 175cm skis are only 69" long, and the truck is 73.3" wide excluding mirrors.

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
I'm sure there's a thread about it somewhere because I'm not the only person who'd be interested... but am I right in assuming those are the wildtrak roof rails you've installed? How'd that process go?
I had it installed by the dealership. From what they told me it isn’t an easy job. You need to drop the headliner, drill out the 4 rivets, cut the drip rails at the proper places to fit the bars. Very time consuming to make sure you dont damage anything that needs to go back on!

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had it installed by the dealership. From what they told me it isn’t an easy job. You need to drop the headliner, drill out the 4 rivets, cut the drip rails at the proper places to fit the bars. Very time consuming to make sure you dont damage anything that needs to go back on!
Eeesch... That sounds awful. The end result is awesome though. But listening to all of that paints a picture of how much labor and therefore $$ is involved in adding those... and without an actual reason to need them, I won't be able to justify it.

Peas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This is my ski setup. Skis also fit in bed but need that space for the dogs and gear.

F583C649-4449-45E5-8054-C37694BDDB29.jpeg

Last edited:

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 Wrangler, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
As you mentioned, a good option is Overhaul HD and I just got the Yakima FatCat Evo 6 to go with that as well for our skis! I think it shouldn't have an issue clearing a normal garage height still, but I can post some pictures when I test fit mine shortly! With the setup I currently have, this was the best option, and I can use it on the wife's Escape as well when we decide to take that one!

Inked20191123_215641_LI.jpg

WxNerd2015

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 Wrangler, 2017 Escape
Occupation
Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
As you mentioned, a good option is Overhaul HD and I just got the Yakima FatCat Evo 6 to go with that as well for our skis! I think it shouldn't have an issue clearing a normal garage height still, but I can post some pictures when I test fit mine shortly! With the setup I currently have, this was the best option, and I can use it on the wife's Escape as well when we decide to take that one!

Inked20191123_215641_LI.jpg
Here's a few shots with the mount attached! If you want to see a more detailed review, see my build thread here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/wxnerd2015s-hot-pepper-red-fx4.2217/page-6#post-84475

20191127_115447.jpg

20191127_115452.jpg

20191127_115527.jpg

20191127_115803.jpg

20191127_115914.jpg

20191127_115920.jpg

20191127_115927.jpg

20191127_115955.jpg

20191127_120001.jpg

20191127_120008.jpg
Sponsored