Transmission Problem

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
My pedal has been squishy since day 1. If I'm in sport mode manually shifting and I come to a stop I get a nasty downshift into 1st if I let it drop gears on its own. No lurching so far.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Have never noticed either of those problems. Brake pedal feel is just fine and no issues with transmission down shifts. Have you had your dealer look at it?
Yup. No issues with brakes or tranny.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I get rough downshifts from time to time, but not with any sort of regularity that causes me to be terribly concerned thus far. I've never had the lurch issue, though.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Peace Officer
My pedal has been squishy since day 1. If I'm in sport mode manually shifting and I come to a stop I get a nasty downshift into 1st if I let it drop gears on its own. No lurching so far.
I had the heavy downshifts into 2 and 1, so became in the habit of sending the transmission back to D from S every time I slowly approach a light. Better now and I’ll see how it responds as it relearns my driving tendencies.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Since day one of my ownership, I’ve been frustrated driving this thing in traffic. Smooth stops are almost impossible for two reasons: First this thing has the worst brake pedal feel since Model T mechanical brakes. Second, the transmission does weird things as the vehicle comes to a stop. As you’re coasting to a stop, the transmission shifts down through the gears all the way to first, which most cars don’t do. Then, when you’re almost stopped, I think the torque converter unlocks and the vehicle surges forward, which can be problematic if you’re close to the car ahead.

Has anyone else noticed this weirdness, or is my truck just broken?

There have been others who felt their truck leap forward when coming to a stop.
For example here:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...icks-off-engine-and-truck-leaps-forward.5544/

I had it happen twice. I thought maybe I hit the gas because of how spongy the break pedal is but maybe not what happened because it seems to be happening to other too. Basically with how far the break pedal travels I thought maybe I clipped the gas pedal.
I almost hit the car in front of me twice.

It has not done it to me in a while now.

ebFX4

First Name
Eber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger FX4 - 5G
Personally- My brake pedal feels fine. A bit squishy, but I prefer a softer pedal vs highly sensitive. Definitely not 2-3 inches of travel before engaging though.

I do feel similar transmission jerks. Particularly on 1-3 gears. It’s super smooth on 5-10. Lots of good advice in this posts on possible fixes. I’ll look into em!

gwartney

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Could be auto start/stop engagement. And just the right pedal pressure, I can engage auto stop and within a second lighten the pedal pressure and cause the truck to lunge with auto start.
Thank you for this reply. It may not be any help to the original question but it sure helps me. I have noticed this thunk or lunge several times and it is almost always when I'm trying to park or pull out of a parking place. That creates the exact situation you described. I'll experiment to make sure but you may have saved me from the hell of taking it in for service.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Have not been to dealer yet. Not looking forward to it. Dealer Standard Answer will be “They all do that!” And then I will become increasingly impolite and then the troubles will begin.

Regarding Brake Feel, there are numerous discussions about that on this forum. Trust me, and most of my career was in Brake System Design and Development, there is no excuse for 2-3 inches of pedal travel before braking begins. I suspect this is a brake booster issue but I haven’t had a chance to investigate further. I may ask the dealer to look at it, or I may ask our cat to troubleshoot the problem. Result will be the same either way.
I have never had a dealer say “They all do that” my experience is they check it out and then their usual response is “We couldn’t duplicate your issue” I agree, I hate going to the dealer, but if you think you are having a problem at least take it in so it is documented.

Chris C.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I've had the same issues. I have other posts on this forum regarding the behavior. It's not easy to explain. And I am tired of fighting with the dealership. I've given up. If it's an issue, Ford will address it....... eventually. I will say, it seems to get better in colder weather.

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4dr 4X4 Pickup
Don't have to find it, although its listed under titled: TSB's / Recalls in this forum
Just go to your dealer and demand an oasis be done on the vehicle. And if that doesn't suffice and no TSB fits; just have them reprogram the transmission. I used the 19-2052 (VIN's built before Feb 11, 2019) although another newer TSB supersedes the original I quoted. All TSB's can be sought by them. I'm sure they have had a few per dealership with poor shift mapping and will do a quick reflashing of the PCM.
Hello there.... Mine shifts weirdly also. and I notice as I observe the shifting of gears on the right side of the info center, mine goes from 1 to 3 and doesn't touch 2 at all. Also, shifting from 3 to 4.... there is a pause as it shifts. It's not slipping, but you can feel it let go and then engage. The Dealer just shrugged it off like it's normal.... Do I have to go back and grab him by the "stacking swivel" or is this normal? He also stated that the tranny will use 2 if you are pulling a load... Is this Scuttlebutt or Straight Skinny??...

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Hello there.... Mine shifts weirdly also. and I notice as I observe the shifting of gears on the right side of the info center, mine goes from 1 to 3 and doesn't touch 2 at all. Also, shifting from 3 to 4.... there is a pause as it shifts. It's not slipping, but you can feel it let go and then engage. The Dealer just shrugged it off like it's normal.... Do I have to go back and grab him by the "stacking swivel" or is this normal? He also stated that the tranny will use 2 if you are pulling a load... Is this Scuttlebutt or Straight Skinny??...
I think I've seen mine in 2nd once. It goes from 1 straight to 3 when accelerating.

The 3 to 4 shift is a little bit rough, though it has smoothed out over time. The other Ranger I test drove did the same thing, and I'm pretty sure I've seen similar comments from others on this forum.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Its designed to skip 2nd if not needed.

Load up or tow, and its likely 2nd will be used. Sport mode as well.

Bottem line, the tranny is working as designed.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's normal and called "skip shifting" Lots of today's vehicles have that feature for economics
In regular mode the transmission "skip shifts" Corvette does the same. Goes from 1-4. I had to buy a kit to stop that in the Vette. On the Ranger, Sport mode will allow every gear.

I try to coast to a stop. Trans is smooth that way plus the brakes can be bedded by applying then let off. Keeps the rotors cool as well to pump the brakes to a stop.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Peace Officer
If your feeling a pause or lingering in a gear or between accepting the next shift, slow to decide what it wants it may very well be PCM reprogram that’s needed just to make it right. I am not a transmission guy but I believe the 10 speed can skip some gears.
Take the concern to the service advisor armed with some knowledge on paper. Print out the TSB that applies to what your truck is exhibiting. Specifically look at your bill date, I think it’s in your drivers door jam). Take a look at what’s on the Forum under Recalls, TSB’s and utilize that form of reference. Basically there’s a good chance there’s a TSB with a necessary reflash for several concerns further than just the transmission however from my bill date which was prior to me buying in February 2019, there was a cold start rough idle rough shifting etc. that plagued some so I kept it in mind should the transmission not learn my driving habits to my expectation.
Good luck if you want to go that route it’s actually quite a simple procedure done on lots of vehicles.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Peace Officer
I've had the same issues. I have other posts on this forum regarding the behavior. It's not easy to explain. And I am tired of fighting with the dealership. I've given up. If it's an issue, Ford will address it....... eventually. I will say, it seems to get better in colder weather.
To further define and arm your self with a basis for the need to have the concern dealt with...show you qualify for at least having an issue be assessed by verifying that your build date falls within a TSB that describes your concern. That would help, did for me, Charlie.
Sponsored