Towing up a long steep grade

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
@Montana Ranger , my findings with 93 octane are the same as yours regarding performance and mpg, admittedly only on Florida's flat highways to date. Pulling a 2022 MiniLite 2109s weighing ~5,300# for weekend camping and using tow mode. Poorest mpg was 9.5 with 93 octane driving 60-65, best was 11.9 with 87 octane driving 60 with cruise control engaged. Both were hand calculated, total trip mileage and total fuel from fillup to fillup, not the inaccurate trip calculator. Having a 8'w x 10'h air restrictor behind you really affects mpg as you increase speed.
Sponsored

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
We've towed our 7,000 lbs travel trailer all over the northwest, including high altitude passes with extreme grades during some of the "heat bomb" heatwaves where temps were around 100. The temp gauge has never budged.

I've tried the higher octane gas when towing and could not detect any difference in performance or mileage.
We've had horrible experience towing with 87 vs the normal 91-93 I fill up with. I guess YMMV ;)

I let the tank get too close to E (on fumes) since I knew a gas station was coming up at a certain point. Unfortunately when we arrived, they were out of all but regular. It was near the middle of no-where in eastern Washington, so we filled a full tank. Towing did not improve until the 87 was diluted down. My observations on the 87 was higher RPM and millage drop by ~2 mpg. 2 mpg is a big deal with it is 10 vs 12 mpg.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
2 mpg is a big deal with it is 10 vs 12 mpg.
Agreed, it is. I've just never seen the difference.

However, yesterday loaded up with non-ethanol 93 and have a trip planned that will include several mountain passes. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: EJH

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
We just returned from a 2 week trip to up-state NY, then to Vt., and home. Lot of pulls up grades on interstates and secondary roads. Total mileage was 1674 but that was a combo of trailer and probably 300 miles solo.
On the return trip from just outside of Woodstock Vermont to home was 655 miles, and I kept one of the odometers set for just pulling the trailer, which was a 2 day run.
Pic is the mileage and mpg for the 655 miles, using premium gas only. Speed was around 62-65 on the interstates and speed limits on secondary roads, 40-55 mph.

IMG_20221009_095451850.jpg

Reactions: EJH

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Got back the other day from my trip with non-ethanol 93. Unfortunately, I had headwinds most of the trip so my results were less than scientifically relevant. Either way, I perceived no difference in performance or mileage.
Sponsored