First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Oil and Gas
I'm looking at getting a boat since the purchase my Ranger in 2019. I was sure to get the tow package but I opted for the 2WD instead of the 4WD.

The boat I'm looking at is going to be about 5500lbs. That's total weight including boat. trailer, fuel and gear. The boat itself is around 3800 lbs. I'm confident in the towing capability of the truck but wondering how well it is going to do pulling a boat out of the water.

Previously I used a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD to tow my old boat, a 2007 Malibu 23 LSV, it weighed in around the same weight.

I never had a issue an issue getting up and down the ramp with it but I am a little nervous with the Ranger being that it has a lighter curb weight, about 600-800lbs lighter. Curious to hear about other experiences with this and if they have had issues pulling up the ramp with the 2WD version of the truck.

**Edited with more detail**
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I had a 2000 V10 Super Duty 4x4 and a ~4000lb boat at the time (18' SeaRay Fish n Ski).

If the ramp was wet it would sometimes spin in 2wd and I had to ease it up the ramp or put it in 4x4.

I'm sure a big part of that was due to the MT tires I was running which absolutely sucked on wet concrete. The ramp I used was kinda steep too.

With a lighter vehicle and a heavier boat, make sure you have a backup plan the first time you try it to see how it works out.

Tons of variables that can affect your situation like tires, angle of ramp, surface of ramp, etc.

Edit: Do you have the rear locker? If so you'll probably be fine. My Super Duty didn't and it would one-wheel-peel.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I put MANY hours on the lake fishing with my boat, getting out at least once, sometimes twice a week except for dead winter and I am cringing reading your post.

Your boat weighs more than your truck, that is scary to me, especially since you are 2WD. I’m not going to say that you can’t do it, I’ve seen many interesting vehicle launch boats but I’ve also seen a few mishaps at ramps I personally use.

When you ease it in to that perfectly dry ramp that has recently been pressure washed of algae, chock that truck immediately! You see where I’m going with this. ;)

Personally, I’d never try it but there are braver men than me when it comes to risk.

BiilyJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Remember to drain the live wells, and put more weight or people in the bed of your truck if they are available.

OP
OP
malibu23wake

malibu23wake

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Oil and Gas
This is not something I am currently doing, I feel like some people are getting the wrong impression. I'm doing some research before making a boat purchase and trying to get some feedback from others with a 2WD XLT.

I've seen a lot of people talking about the towing capability, pulling boats ,travel trailer's and such, but not much talk or discussion about launching and pulling their boat out of the water.

gcan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Too a lot depends on the pitch of the ramp, My brother had a 2 wheel truck and a much smaller boat we intentionally looked for the most shallow ramps even if we had to go out of our way…… that’s a lot of boat on a steep/slippery ramp

OP
OP
malibu23wake

malibu23wake

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Oil and Gas
5500lbs. That's not a boat, that's a vessel. LOL
Haha yeah the boat itself that I am considering is 3900. The rest of the weight is estimated, probably over estimated, for trailer, fuel, and gear.

Too a lot depends on the pitch of the ramp, My brother had a 2 wheel truck and a much smaller boat we intentionally looked for the most shallow ramps even if we had to go out of our way…… that’s a lot of boat on a steep/slippery ramp
Previously I used a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD to tow my old boat, a 2007 Malibu 23 LSV, it weighed in around the same weight.

I never had a issue an issue getting up and down the ramp with it but I am a little nervous with the Ranger being that it has a lighter curb weight.

Last edited:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Back in the late 70's to mid 80's, my dad was a fisherman here in Louisiana. Many were the times we would have 1000-1500 lbs. of crawfish in his homemade aluminum skiff. The places we would launch were remote and never well maintained. Depending on the water level in the basin, sometimes the end of the ramp was nearly out of the water. There was no way his '71 F100, 6 cyl., 3spd manual, 2WD could pull all that weight up the ramp.
The solutions:
1: Unload 20 to 30 sacks (~50lb each) onto the bank, pull the boat out, load sacks back into boat.
2: Transfer said sacks to the bed of the truck, pull boat out, transfer sacks back to boat
3. Leave sacks in boat. Have dad in truck pulling boat up, while one other was in the boat, engine in forward, revved up to assist by pushing forward. As soon as you would hear the motor scream as the prop came out the water, shut off the engine.

Option 3 was used successfully on many trips.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
feeling a little inadequate with my tiny boat weighing in at less than 1000 lbs with trailer, well filled, beer, food, gas, motor, 300ah lead acid batteries
Well, to ease that inadequacy, you could increase the weight by adding more beer and food, or just more beer.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Had a few boats, up to a 29' Baha, and have had many a hour of fun watching people try to launch or retrieve their boats. I always had a drive on tilt trailer (high sided with rollers) so I didn't have to put my truck to far in the water. The first time I would put some weight in the bed over the axle, like sand bags. When you are ready to pull it out use both feet, one on brake and one on the gas, holding the brake apply some gas while easing off of the brake to prevent roll back and tire spin. As long as the ramp isn't covered in moss, or too steep you should be fine. Not sure in your area but ramps out here are grooved for traction in most places.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Had a few boats, up to a 29' Baha, and have had many a hour of fun watching people try to launch or retrieve their boats. I always had a drive on tilt trailer (high sided with rollers) so I didn't have to put my truck to far in the water. The first time I would put some weight in the bed over the axle, like sand bags. When you are ready to pull it out use both feet, one on brake and one on the gas, holding the brake apply some gas while easing off of the brake to prevent roll back and tire spin. As long as the ramp isn't covered in moss, or too steep you should be fine. Not sure in your area but ramps out here are grooved for traction in most places.
Now I wonder. How does hill assist and traction control work when ramping? Will it help in preventing roll back or wheel spin?