First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I got to thinking since there's no real way to increase the Ranger tongue weight capacity, I'm not planning on loading anything toy wise inside keep my tanks empty when traveling and possibly relocate the two propane tanks from the tongue of the R.V. would that lower it to within the Rangers scale of towability?
Moving the propane tanks to the rear is a NoNo....major safety violation and one that would be the one item you might get pulled over for.
Tanks on rear, and you get hit by another vehicle.....everything go BOOM !!!!. Battery can be moved but would obviously require running new wire.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have to ask. If you are not planning on loading anything toy wise, why are you looking at a toy hauler trailer. They are specifically designed to have heavy toys loaded in the back. Their axles are located further back to offset the additional weight and actually use it to reduce the tongue weight, to get it back in the optimal 10 to 15 percent range.

If you really need a trailer that large. Your best bet is to look at other similar sized non-toy hauler trailers that fit within the Rangers weight limits.
Careful now, you are starting to make sense and that's not allowed here

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
It HAS been awhile, so you know we're due for one sooner than later.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
'Going downhill or in crosswinds requires extra attention" should be a concerning statement. What percent is the tongue weight at? Seriously, you may want to look at a better hitch. The Pro Pride of the Hensely Hitch (both designed by the same guy) would probably make a significant difference. They are not cheap, but going to a better hitch is way cheaper than upgrading to a F-150.
Where we are, there are many significant interstate passes that are a challenge to trailering no mater what you're driving. We just have to pay a bit more attention.

Our tongue weight is a bit over 10%, which is right where it should be.

Actually, I did look into the Hensely as I have some friends who rave about it. Unfortunately, the hitch itself is extremely heavy (around 200 lbs) and definitely would have put me over the allowed tongue weight.
Sponsored