Finally found the towing limit

Rock squirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
For what it's worth, I finally found the upper limit for my rig after nearly 19k miles of trying. Just got back from June Lake area and I towed about 4500 pounds of travel trailer with 5 people up 395 near mammoth at nearly 8,000 ft at highway speed up the grade (5-6%?). AC on and about 90 degrees outside. First time I ever saw the temp needle budge upwards - even though I’ve towed over Grapevine, Tehachapi, Mojave, Death Valley, sequoia, etc.

Of course it happened as I was telling the wife how amazing it is that I can tow like that and not phase the truck, so I think I jinxed it!

However, I simply dropped the RPMs a bit and the temp came right back down. I’ve been very impressed with how well the ranger tows. I mostly run 91 octane, but am also near due for an oil change. Picture of my setup from last month on the way to Eureka.

0A0B607F-E8D4-4E80-9A7A-0F5CDADC3179.jpeg
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I think these gauges are basically idiot lights. Any movement at all is a big swing from normal. My coolant gauge shows just below middle from 170-212 degrees. Never got it hotter than that. But if it budged at all it was hot.
Could be, I don't know how it is on these 5G. On 4G, it's just a temp switch, so it behaves as you say. Same with the oil pressure 'gauge', it's either has pressure or not, it doesn't actually indicate how much pressure.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Don't know about the OP....
I have a Scan Gauge on my Ranger, and several times while towing our 6500 lb trailer up 5-6 % grades in July, 90-95 degree temps, the coolant gauge ran up to 213 degrees. But within a few seconds of cresting the grade or mountain, the temps immediately dropped back down to 198-200 degrees, and stayed there. I would guess that the trans temps were in the same range.
Running on fairly flat terrain, interstates, at 60-65 mph, temps never got over 200 degrees or so with outside temps in the 90-95 degree range.
On our first trip back in the beginning of April, with cooler temps, the range was 192-198.
As a comparison, just running the Ranger on a day to day basis, just the truck itself, temps run the same 192-198 degrees.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Could be, I don't know how it is on these 5G. On 4G, it's just a temp switch, so it behaves as you say. Same with the oil pressure 'gauge', it's either has pressure or not, it doesn't actually indicate how much pressure.
MY 2016 jeep renengade had a oil pressure switch, it wouldn't give you a low oil light until you practically couldn't start the engine due to low oil level. so down to less than 1 quart out of 5.5 quarts.

I ran into that a couple of times. (yet another reason I wanted that vehicle gone I like the ranger much more)

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
On our 5Gs we only have the coolant temp gauge and an oil pressure "idiot" light. Through the OBD2 port you can monitor coolant temp and transmission temp using various phone apps, your tuner box, or like @Grumpaw, a Scan Guage. Unfortunately there is only a switch for oil pressure and no temp. Any of the OBD2 options will give you better resolution than the OEM temp gauge.

I have towed my 4200 pound TT in 100+ degree temps and up 6% grades with similar results to @Grumpaw. Not sure what the temp rating of the thermostat is but suspect it is around that 198 degree area, and as it uses the coolant to cool the transmission it will run in that same range.

All I can say is the Rangers cooling system works very well when towing within its rated capacity. I would like to be able to monitor oil temp and pressure though.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I use torque pro. Pretty nice setup to monitor everything and its cheap. $20 for app and blue tooth obd connector. I use it for long trips or heavy loads. Gets trans temp too.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Your truck would throw a wrench light and go into reduced power mode if it were getting too hot. A little bump in the swing of the temp gauge is nothing to be concerned about.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
For what it's worth, I finally found the upper limit for my rig after nearly 19k miles of trying. Just got back from June Lake area and I towed about 4500 pounds of travel trailer with 5 people up 395 near mammoth at nearly 8,000 ft at highway speed up the grade (5-6%?). AC on and about 90 degrees outside. First time I ever saw the temp needle budge upwards - even though I’ve towed over Grapevine, Tehachapi, Mojave, Death Valley, sequoia, etc.

Of course it happened as I was telling the wife how amazing it is that I can tow like that and not phase the truck, so I think I jinxed it!

However, I simply dropped the RPMs a bit and the temp came right back down. I’ve been very impressed with how well the ranger tows. I mostly run 91 octane, but am also near due for an oil change. Picture of my setup from last month on the way to Eureka.

0A0B607F-E8D4-4E80-9A7A-0F5CDADC3179.jpeg
From what I have seen these things are pretty good at regulating temp I think a small spike isnt a big deal as others said if it is gonna overheat it will go into limp mode pretty liberally so I don't think you jinxed it lol

OP
OP
Rock squirrel

Rock squirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
No, hot zone or overheating at all and wasn’t a big deal or concern about actually overheating. I always put up the cluster view with temp gauge (lariat display) when climbing any significant grade with a load to monitor temp so I can back off if needed. This happened to be the first time I actually saw it start to climb a little (no absolute temp, just about 2/3-3/4 towards top of gauge).

Dropping about 1000 rpm’s had it sinking back towards the middle quickly. No need to peg it, just found where the load actually started to impact the operating temp.

Would be interesting to monitor status with OBD device. I might have to look into it.

Another side note, I was using Tow/Haul this time around and wonder if that made a difference due to holding higher rpm’s. I don’t usually use it climbing, but I like the aggressive engine braking descending.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
After being around for awhile, I'm not bothered until the gauge maxes out, HOT lamp comes on or I hear the radiator cap whistling. Recalling the proverbial road pursuit between the Ford and the Cadillac in Johnny River's timeless 1964 hit 'Maybelline'. :)

Well, the Cadillac pulled up ahead of the Ford
The Ford got hot and wouldn't do no more
It then got cloudy and started to rain
I tooted my horn for a passin' lane
The rainwater blowin' all under my hood
I know that I was doin' my motor good

Maybellene, why can't you be true
Oh, Maybellene, why can't you be true
You've started back doin' the things you used to do

The heat went down, the motor cooled down
And that's when I heard that highway sound
The Cadillac a-sittin' like a ton of lead
A hundred and ten half a mile ahead
The Cadillac lookin' like it's sittin' still
I caught Mabellene at the top of the hill

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
No, hot zone or overheating at all and wasn’t a big deal or concern about actually overheating. I always put up the cluster view with temp gauge (lariat display) when climbing any significant grade with a load to monitor temp so I can back off if needed. This happened to be the first time I actually saw it start to climb a little (no absolute temp, just about 2/3-3/4 towards top of gauge).

Dropping about 1000 rpm’s had it sinking back towards the middle quickly. No need to peg it, just found where the load actually started to impact the operating temp.

Would be interesting to monitor status with OBD device. I might have to look into it.

Another side note, I was using Tow/Haul this time around and wonder if that made a difference due to holding higher rpm’s. I don’t usually use it climbing, but I like the aggressive engine braking descending.
The only time I had the needle really move on me to past middle, my Scan Guage ii was reporting something like 240F-244F engine temp. Surprised me because it really was just past middle on the temp gauge (XLT IC). It was my attempt to find the limit of the truck, I changed lanes from behind a big rig doing 50mph up a climb on the 15fwy in Utah, I nailed it and got up to 65mph then let off but the trans didnt down shift and kept the rpm up there a bit. That was towing our Geo Pro 19BH, so quite funny we both have Geo Pro.

That was just my attempt to see what the truck was made of and it really impressed me. I still want a radiator upgrade but I do not do that normally but have had it break 220F in the desert summer on some climbs.

If it ever gets stuck holding a gear for whatever reason, I shift to sport, manually shit the trans, then move it back to drive/tow mode.

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
An amazing account. Plus at that altitude, everything has less performance, including the air to take out the heat.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The truck will alert you with a message or something about 'power reduced due to cooling' or something when it starts getting too hot. And will actually then reduce your power, in several stages, in order to protect the truck. With all of the electronics in these trucks these days, they really are idiot proof.

TL: DR keep driving the truck, nothing bad will happen to it.
Sponsored