To those with RTT + a tonneau cover, is bed access annoying?

Nax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer
How do you get at stuff in the back of the truck bed? I want to keep my tonneau cover if I ever get a RTT but I feel like it would be insanely annoying to get stuff in the back of the truck bed.
Sponsored

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
it depends.
HoosierT had a custom made rack to fit around his tonneau

Several of us have installed the Embark LS or the Retrax Pro XR which provides a a t-slot for Yakima, Thule, etc. rack products to be added, (at a significantly reduced dynamic and static rating), but high enough to handle the RTT and a couple other accessories of your choice.

I am using the Embark LS with a Yakima Outpost and have added the sidebars to mounh Rotopax on each side (soon). I am using 6 containers in the bed to organize and reduce how much "stuff" I will be traveling with. So far no complaints. This is the system I felt works best for me. Everything in life is a compromise.

Yakima and others offer t-slot or t-track add ons which MAY work with the tonneau of your choosing, BUT you have to drill holes to install those t-slot tracks.

All I am really trying to say is that it is just simply complicated!

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Yea this is a tough area to address. So hereā€™s my plan. Iā€™m finishing my lithium battery build as we speak and need to order a fridge, but hereā€™s my plan. Keep in mind that I CAN roll my tonneau open with the bed rack, but itā€™s still tough to get stuff out. So, I plan to have my fridge and battery on a slide on the driver side of the bed. For the right side, it will be two large totes with dividers inside for organizing. Youā€™ll see in this exquisite drawing the strap Iā€™ll be using to pull those out. Itā€™ll hook to the tie down nearest the tailgate, run around the back of the totes, then lay at the tailgate opening so that when I drop the gate, I can just grab the strap and the totes will slide towards me. Not perfect, but thatā€™s my plan and Iā€™m sticking to it...
BD80D8D2-660F-43BA-B85D-98CE5BDEBD2F.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nax

Nax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yea this is a tough area to address. So hereā€™s my plan. Iā€™m finishing my lithium battery build as we speak and need to order a fridge, but hereā€™s my plan. Keep in mind that I CAN roll my tonneau open with the bed rack, but itā€™s still tough to get stuff out. So, I plan to have my fridge and battery on a slide on the driver side of the bed. For the right side, it will be two large totes with dividers inside for organizing. Youā€™ll see in this exquisite drawing the strap Iā€™ll be using to pull those out. Itā€™ll hook to the tie down nearest the tailgate, run around the back of the totes, then lay at the tailgate opening so that when I drop the gate, I can just grab the strap and the totes will slide towards me. Not perfect, but thatā€™s my plan and Iā€™m sticking to it...
BD80D8D2-660F-43BA-B85D-98CE5BDEBD2F.jpeg
Very excited to see how this pans out. Excellent drawing.

HitMix

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Limited 2.0 BiTurbo
Occupation
Mechanic
I have a bedslide in my truck, and a roof-rack on top. Works like a charm for me :)
2020-07-07 08.15.21.jpg
2020-07-07 08.16.18.jpg

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

HitMix

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Limited 2.0 BiTurbo
Occupation
Mechanic
Yep, I would actually love to have a bedslide as well. The only reason it's off the table for me is the added height makes the fridge not fit under the tonneau so I have to move along.
It steals valuable height indeed, would love to have an inch or so more under the cover.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
This is something I have been trying to figure out as well. As I build things up, eventually like the OP, I would like to have a cover for the bed with a RTT. Here is a link to a thread with similar goals.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is something I have been trying to figure out as well. As I build things up, eventually like the OP, I would like to have a cover for the bed with a RTT. Here is a link to a thread with similar goals.
If you want more load capacity then Iā€™d go with a standard tonneau without accessory rails and go with a tonneau-compatible bed rack like KB Voodoo. My custom rack is modeled pretty closely to theirs and works very well with my tonneau.
446C206B-66BF-40D3-A56B-9BA56728099B.jpeg
4482A9FE-F87B-4D13-AC79-EB019E02F8D5.jpeg

BTW, my particular tonneau is the Truxedo Pro X15 roll up cover and I can roll it open with the bed rack/RTT in place.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you want more load capacity then Iā€™d go with a standard tonneau without accessory rails and go with a tonneau-compatible bed rack like KB Voodoo. My custom rack is modeled pretty closely to theirs and works very well with my tonneau.
446C206B-66BF-40D3-A56B-9BA56728099B.jpeg
4482A9FE-F87B-4D13-AC79-EB019E02F8D5.jpeg

BTW, my particular tonneau is the Truxedo Pro X15 roll up cover and I can roll it open with the bed rack/RTT in place.
Hi Tyler,

What in the world is that white frosting stuff on your poor truck and the ground? YUK! ?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Col Retired

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Tyler,

What in the world is that white frosting stuff on your poor truck and the ground? YUK! ?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Col Retired
That, my friend, is just some midwest humidity. Luckily that stuff is long gone and all sunshine for the time being.
Sponsored