First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
Autobot and Return Ranger, sorry I haven't been on here in awhile to respond... I did get them to sit flush, after a fair bit of trial and error. I think I uninstalled and reinstalled everything 5 or 6 times. I have a Leer HF650M hard folding tonneau. I originally thought I'd need to use the shims that came with the Elevate rails to keep everything level, but it actually worked best without the shims.

tbh I haven't ended up using the rails much yet. My plan is to use Rhino crossbars to mount a ski/snowboard rack in the wintertime, and the Elevate overhead rack (which I held off on buying and now seems to be unavailable) for camping, etc, during the summer. Eventually I'm thinking either a Bedslide or a Decked system under the tonneau so I can access stuff in the bed even if I can't flip the tonneau open because of the cross rails. But all that adds up and I've gotta spread out the purchases.

COVID and work have gotten in the way of me getting out and really using the setup, so right now they're just some nice rails with moveable tie downs...
Any regrets pairing the Elevate setup with the Leer HF650M? I really want that same bed cover but haven't purchased yet, and don't want to make installing a rack system too difficult should I want to add one down the road (kayaks are likely in the future). I'm also not a fan of the tonneaus with integrated rack channels that I've seen so far. I'm probably leaning toward adding rhino rack channels on top of the bed rails via drilling if I want to add them in the future...like in the earlier post in this thread with the Tacoma.
Sponsored

sn95joe84

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Does anyone know if this system work work? I have the folding Ford OEM tonneau and want to get something that elevates to at least the level of the cab to put a kayak / bikes over the bed.

Not sure if this would fit the ranger/work with my tonneau cover.

Vantech Elevate

Ryanosaurus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, Magnetic, FX4
Any regrets pairing the Elevate setup with the Leer HF650M? I really want that same bed cover but haven't purchased yet, and don't want to make installing a rack system too difficult should I want to add one down the road (kayaks are likely in the future). I'm also not a fan of the tonneaus with integrated rack channels that I've seen so far. I'm probably leaning toward adding rhino rack channels on top of the bed rails via drilling if I want to add them in the future...like in the earlier post in this thread with the Tacoma.
SVTPaul, I've been happy with it so far. Like I said, a bit of a PITA getting them on and level, but no issues since then. The HF650M is solid cover. I like the fact that it's a quad-fold and doesn't block the CHMSL. The quad-fold will allow me to go with a lower rack height as well. Also it's pinch-to-open mechanism is designed to prevent the casual thief that might try to get into your bed with a coat hangar.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
SVTPaul, I've been happy with it so far. Like I said, a bit of a PITA getting them on and level, but no issues since then. The HF650M is solid cover. I like the fact that it's a quad-fold and doesn't block the CHMSL. The quad-fold will allow me to go with a lower rack height as well. Also it's pinch-to-open mechanism is designed to prevent the casual thief that might try to get into your bed with a coat hangar.
Thanks for the feedback! Some of these points were things I considered when opting for the Leer, and in particular the HF650M over the HF350M. I'm also thinking that the flush (between the rails) design of the 650 should keep more surface area available on top of the bedrails. I'm presently considering future plans will be adding T slot channels from Rhino Rack or Hi-lift (the slide-n-lock looks pretty interesting), that can hopefully be compatible with the Truxedo Elevate adjustable rack system. Still some research to be done there...
The timing of your reply is an interesting coincidence, as my Leer cover was delivered this morning. My truck is still 2-3 weeks away from delivery though.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
A lot of the Bed Rail T Slot systems will only support 200lbs dynamic. The Thule and Yakima racks will only work with a few tonneau covers. ie Retrax. I do not want the large box at the front of the bed. Doesn't work if you have to load motorcycles.

I like this system XTR- 1 bedrack. It can support 350lbs dynamic and 1200lbs static. Comes in many heights since its made out of extruded material. Also comes in 21" high to put a soft topper underneath. You put foam strips under the racking mount to make up the gap for the tonneau cover. I would run the revolver 2 cover.

2020-12-13 13.04.34.jpg

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
A lot of the Bed Rail T Slot systems will only support 200lbs dynamic. The Thule and Yakima racks will only work with a few tonneau covers. ie Retrax. I do not want the large box at the front of the bed. Doesn't work if you have to load motorcycles.

I like this system XTR- 1 bedrack. It can support 350lbs dynamic and 1200lbs static. Comes in many heights since its made out of extruded material. Also comes in 21" high to put a soft topper underneath. You put foam strips under the racking mount to make up the gap for the tonneau cover. I would run the revolver 2 cover.

2020-12-13 13.04.34.jpg
Copy that. No matter what option you pick, you're dealing with tradeoffs of various pros and cons so it's a matter of figuring out priorities and which ones you can live with. For me, I was set on the Leer bed cover after researching the various options. It seems to be on the higher end of the quality spectrum, is pretty watertight (without the need for drain tubes) and I wanted a flush folding cover that can be removed, leaving the rails intact without too much trouble if need be. I intend to work around it by attaching T slot tracks to my bed rails in the future if I need or want to expand capability. My future rack needs won't be exceeding the weight of a pair of kayaks, maybe a few pieces of lumber or a ladder so I won't be needing dynamic capacity for a 250lb RTT or anything. I know one thing though, the market is a little overwhelming for a guy with OCD researching it ?

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
What SVTPaul said. :thumbsup: To each his own ! We all have different needs.
Leer is a vary good make. Don't get me started on canopies. Its funny for some reason Ford did not have a flat surface on the top of the Bed Rails on 4G Rangers. Goofy, my friend recently bought a new canopy for his 2008 Ranger. Nice like the Leer. It does not sit flat on the bed rails. I have a Soft Topper on my 2011. That's why I have a Soft topper. I could not lift a canopy off by myself. The XTR-1 Rack will come off in one piece, just need 2 people and a place to put it. You can disassemble it more. What I run currently on my old Ranger is a T Bar and a roof rack on my cab. It has destroyed the roof. The modern built in roof rails are a huge improvement. Nothing touches the paint. I Kayaked Vancouver BC's coast lines a lot. Sea Kayaking. I use to be not afraid of the Ocean. Now I have huge respect. Currently, I have SUP's. They are 12"6. I figure when I purchase a 6G Ranger nothing will mount to the cab. I may still run the T Bar and a rack closes to the cab in the bed. I would purchase a bed rack below the cab height and then figure out something to make up the distance above the roof line to carry a canoe or Sup's. A Scab with 6' bed for me. I am thinking I can figure out some platform to have a standard tent to fit up on the bed. Ok enough of my blathering.

Gotta, love consumerism so many possibilities.
Sponsored