To each their own

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I was on Block Island for a few days and saw the Maverick up close and driving by. Looks like a rolling brick. Very squared off and black trim on white truck made it look worse. Saw a Hyundai Santa Cruz pick up, which I think is direct competition, and the looks blew it away. I have a 2014 Hyundai and lov e its performance and reliability, as well as dealer/manufacturer support. Even with the engine issue at 109000 miles, they gave us a COMPLETE motor under warantee.

Still not a fan of the Bronco, think Ford missed the boat. The ones I saw, not impressed. The only one I liked was a white, plain jane, 4 door normal thinner tires that Dirt Church Brewing in VT uses. And I only like that because it is set up and looks like what it should for what they are using it for, an SUV. Doesn't look like they will use for anything more than traveling dirt roads with their bikes and commuting to places. I've only seen pictures of more off road capable Broncos, but vehichles always look different in person.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You like the styling of the Korean cars?

Every single Kia and Hyundai on the road looks like a hodgepodge of other designs to me.

"We'll take an Accord's C Pillar, a Maxima's grill, creases from a Camry, and we'll call it a Sonata"

But I'm biased. I drove the very first Hyundai imported to the US in high school for a bit. An '87 Excel that was already clapped out by the time I bought it in '93.

It's kinda like LG. I remember the Goldstar brand they used to be and garbage sold under it's name at Radio Shack/KMart.

But like you said, to each their own.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I was on Block Island for a few days and saw the Maverick up close and driving by. Looks like a rolling brick. Very squared off and black trim on white truck made it look worse. Saw a Hyundai Santa Cruz pick up, which I think is direct competition, and the looks blew it away. I have a 2014 Hyundai and lov e its performance and reliability, as well as dealer/manufacturer support. Even with the engine issue at 109000 miles, they gave us a COMPLETE motor under warantee.

Still not a fan of the Bronco, think Ford missed the boat. The ones I saw, not impressed. The only one I liked was a white, plain jane, 4 door normal thinner tires that Dirt Church Brewing in VT uses. And I only like that because it is set up and looks like what it should for what they are using it for, an SUV. Doesn't look like they will use for anything more than traveling dirt roads with their bikes and commuting to places. I've only seen pictures of more off road capable Broncos, but vehichles always look different in person.
Agree to each their own and I own a 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe and although it's mostly been trouble free I doubt that I'll own another Hyundai (however I yrs back said that about Ford after a owning a Taurus SHO with abysmal quality) . The reason you received a new motor is not out of the kindness of Hyundai but rather a settlement reached with the DOJ to provide lifetime replacement of their POS Theta II engines - Hyundai originally was denying warranty claims when the engine seized and claimed it was a minor problem due to "improper cleaning of the crank" that was a complete lie. Subsequent action by the NHTSA and class action suits forced Hyundai into lifetime replacement of these wretched engines.
But even beyond that Hyundai has been a pretty shady operator in the auto business for decades , deliberately misstating mpg, engine power outputs and in Korea doing all sorts of gov payoffs and other questionable business practices.
Not a company I plan on supporting. But agree the Sante Cruz has more exterior appeal than a Maverick, Hyundai does appeal to a lot of folks that have only a minimal understanding of the vehicles they drive and I view Hyundai's warranty (10/100 warranty) as largely a marketing tool which they have used to great effect.

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
Definitely a case of "to each their own". I prefer the truck-like look of the Maverick over the car-like look of the Santa Cruz. Love the Bronco too. I may be biased towards Ford and GM though. I've never owned a Hyundai or KIA although I think some of their products are really intriguing.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I believe the Maverick wins mpg pretty easily, I don't like the looks of either really but the Cruz looks like a suv they cut the back off to make a bed , it's pretty nice looking, but not much resemblance to a truck ...imo , A 2 door version of either FTW ... imo

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Step mom had a brand new (?) 88 or 89 Excel, sister had an early Stellar, I've had a 02 Sonata, and a 10 Santa Fe. All have been great cars, with low to no unexpected maintenace on any of them.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
The Maverick is currently selling at a pace of about 2 to 1 versus the Santa Cruz and production is still very constrained on the Maverick. To each their own, but when designing a vehicle you have to build what appeals most to the masses if you want a very successful product. The Maverick looks like a baby F-150 and people like that look. It also has extremely good value built into it. I wouldn't trade my Ranger for one, but I wanted a tough frame based truck and not a unibody pickup. Ford absolutely hit a home run with the Maverick.

I will let you know my impressions soon since we ordered one for my elderly father last October and it finally arrived. We will pick it up Tuesday. It is an XLT EcoBoost FX4 in Shadow Black with Co-pilot 360. It also has the optional 17" wheels with the larger more aggressive tires. I would never pick black, but that is what he wanted. The salesman sent me a picture when it came off the truck.
20220620_143024.jpg

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I much prefer the look of the Maverick over the Santa Cruz but I'm only going off pictures online. I have yet to see either in person. One thing I don't like about the Maverick from pictures I have seen is that weird little "storage" space to the right of the infotainment screen. Not sure what real use it would have and seems they could have just gone with a bigger screen or something.

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
OK, so you can't find any similarities on other makes/models? I'm sure if you looked, you could see. Ive never been a fan of the really square look. Some straight lines, yes, but a brick? No.
I'm not bragging on a motor only lasting 100k, but the fact that they didn't just repair crank, or put a short block in. Complete motor minus the turbo and exhaust manifolds I'm told. Even if DOJ wasn't involved, judging by relationship we had with dealer, I'd be confident to say it would have been covered under 100k warantee. And the 6/60 warantees? Hell no...
No fuel in oil, rattles, eratic shifting, braking issues etc that some post here, absolutely none of that on the Sante Fe. Nothing, no issues and at 130k now. I call that reliable. (No issues with my 2019 Ranger either) And Volkswagon used the 100k warantee as a marketing tool for a few years, and it worked. Now back to 6/60. No so with Hyundai. It gives us peace of mind.
I'm not sure what you mean by not having an understanding of the vehicle I drive... And I could care less about the politics involved. What manufacturer doesn't have skeletons? I guess MPG statements would bother me, IF I wasn't beating them.
Notsure about an 87 Hyundai, but pretty much all companies had issues abounding during the transisitional years of the 80's. There was a lot of delvelopment going on, and lots experimenting. I know, worked at GM during those years. Carb to throttle body injecion to individual injectors, 350 gas motor block used in diesl engines... the list goes on. Don't compare an 87 to a 2014,...

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
I much prefer the look of the Maverick over the Santa Cruz but I'm only going off pictures online. I have yet to see either in person. One thing I don't like about the Maverick from pictures I have seen is that weird little "storage" space to the right of the infotainment screen. Not sure what real use it would have and seems they could have just gone with a bigger screen or something.
I think that weird little storage space is there to fill a void in case they decide to offer a larger screen in the future. It looks better then a blank filler panel. Either that or the interior designer smokes and wanted a place to stash his or her Marlboros.?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
One of my gripes with Ford and Maverick is sticking FX4 and Tremor on them. Even on Ranger and F series, FX4, Tremor are mostly mall crawler packages, more so than purpose built off-road vehicles. They are capable for light duty, forest roads and some trails, but hardly a wheeler without replacing a tonne of components. Having a Maverick with 3 inches of clearance under the body skirts, is hardly an off-road vehicle. Would Fusion AWD Tremor be next if they had they not dropped it? Or Mustang Mach FX4?

Last edited:
OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
The Maverick is currently selling at a pace of about 2 to 1 versus the Santa Cruz and production is still very constrained on the Maverick. To each their own, but when designing a vehicle you have to build what appeals most to the masses if you want a very successful product. The Maverick looks like a baby F-150 and people like that look. It also has extremely good value built into it. I wouldn't trade my Ranger for one, but I wanted a tough frame based truck and not a unibody pickup. Ford absolutely hit a home run with the Maverick.

I will let you know my impressions soon since we ordered one for my elderly father last October and it finally arrived. We will pick it up Tuesday. It is an XLT EcoBoost FX4 in Shadow Black with Co-pilot 360. It also has the optional 17" wheels with the larger more aggressive tires. I would never pick black, but that is what he wanted. The salesman sent me a picture when it came off the truck.
20220620_143024.jpg
You are right, they build tto meet waht people want. I wouldn't buy a Cruz, but I like the look. I'm sure they are trying to capture what Honda did with the Ridgeline. Drove on of those too, not for me. Both more for hauling soccer gear than anything the Ranger is built for.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I think that weird little storage space is there to fill a void in case they decide to offer a larger screen in the future. It looks better then a blank filler panel. Either that or the interior designer smokes and wanted a place to stash his or her Marlboros.?
Yeah that was what I was thinking when I saw it. "No idea what to do with this extra space. Let's just make it look like you can put something in it." But agree it looks better than if it was a panel. I'd rather they just went with a bigger screen from the get go.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Neighbor 2 doors down from up purchased a Hyundai Santa Cruz for the wife to use as a daily driver, gardening, plants, ect.
Engine blew after one month and was rebuilt. The rebuild lasted less than a week, so new engine was installed.
It's now back at the dealer for another new engine, after 2 months.
Their pushing for a new Santa Cruz.
Sponsored