Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why are shops never big enough? :)
Hi Lee,

Opportunity to buy more tools, eh? Oh yeah...I forgot I also brought 50 amp 240V into the shop area for my Unisaw and welding equipment, Arc and Mig. OxyAcetine is behind the tool box

Best,
Phil

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
I would LOVE to have that 20' tall garage on the right! That's all I notice in this picture. :)
Those garages are quite common in a lot of areas in Arizona (elsewhere too I am sure), especially around Lake Havasu City.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Those garages are quite common in a lot of areas in Arizona (elsewhere too I am sure), especially around Lake Havasu City.
Not in Green Valley...less than a dozen. Most built by my builder or copycat for two.

Back story....

First RV Garage built in Green Valley by my builder had a 12½' tall door and was only width of 14' outside dimension. So with 2x6 wall construction and drywall...lost a foot. So new house buyer, soon to become a friend even though this happened years before us building our house, he pulls into the garage. very narrow and he heads in carefully only to find the garage is so narrow his side door to the RV on the right cannot be opened wide enough for him to get out. So he backs out and biases the RV to the left....Nope....no go. He gives up and calls the builder. Next day with the RV sitting outside builder watches and Nope...not going to happen... After cogitating for a while, the decision was to cut a door in the RV garage outside. So the process was the owner pulls up...opens the RV garage and the side door to the outside....then pulls in and opens the RV door into the open side door and squeezes out. Great to learn this. Poor owner died a few years ago but the house sold like hot cakes as so many folks here want an RV garage and they are as rare as hens teeth...

This is why mine is 15' inside and I can get all my slides out and set my RV up as a house inside a house. BTW...love the 2x6 construction...just for insulation value it is great but structurally is very
sound...

BTW take two... My door is 14' tall...reason is my RV is 13' 3" tall and the slight slope of the driveway kicks up the back overhang of the RV up above a standard door....So I have industrial doors in the garage and openers that are commercial. When I made this change the builder goes...KaChing $$$. Copy cat builder did not do this years later and the two RV garage houses he built would only contain a smallish Class C RV...not a tall Class A.... I told the jerk builder and he told me it was the purchaser's problem, not his. House is also 2x4 construction and havr sever structural problems for some reason. Houses have sold several times due to the problems.

Best,
Phil

Last edited:

OP
OP
The Long Ranger

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
A choice only you can make. Nobody can tell you what is right for. My thoughts on traveling camping are different than anyone elses. Only comments I'll make: A motorhome is not a daily driver, you think the Ranger get sucky mileage towing, you need a place to park it.

Happy deliberation. :rockon:
Not concerned about fuel mileage. More concerned about sleeping comfortably. (and not bumping my head)

OP
OP
The Long Ranger

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
So, all that aside, what campers are y'all towing and what advice do you have?

OP
OP
The Long Ranger

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody got one of these? Great looking unit!

61087f11b164eb33612a6d67.jpg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
So, all that aside, what campers are y'all towing and what advice do you have?
We currently have a class c motor home, and tow a Subaru Crosstrek. Been to 45 of the lower 48, Alaska, and most of Canada. But our trips of 4-5-6 weeks are behind us and we are in the process of down sizing to a Jayco 24RL travel trailer, about 6500 lbs wet, 650 lbs tongue. Going from 3 vehicles and the motor home to just her Subi Outback and the Ranger for 1-2 week camping trips.
Advice...get something that is comfortable without being cramped. If your new to travel trailers and are planning longer trips, it does not take long to feel closed in with a small rig.
We started 50 years ago in a 16 footer, but each rig got bigger. We discovered that on longer trips we each needed our "own space". Subsequently our last 4 rigs have had a separate living and bedroom that we can each "escape" to, either to watch tv, read, take a nap, ect.
Don't know your family sixe, but if possible look for a rig that has theater seating instead of the usual fold out couches that are uncomfortable both as a couch and a bed.
And, a decent bathroom with a shower that you can move around in...some bathrooms are so small that you bang your knees while taking a sit down, and hit your elbows just taking a shower.
What your intentions for it's use will pretty much dictate the size...going remote and boondocking means large water and holding tanks, a solar set up, and usually a smaller rig.
Staying a full hook up campgrounds expands your size to something more comfortable.
There are several "weight watchers" on the forum who are totally against towing anywhere the weight/tow limit of the Rangers, while others, self included, have no problem towing a larger rig, still within the weight ratings.
If buying new, NEVER pay retail....start by offering at least 25 % less than retail, and 20 % less than their "discount" price. Although rv's are in high demand now, and production is just starting to ramp up again, there are deals out there...just don't fall in love with the first one you look at...be prepared to walk away.
Used...be wary...look at every nook and cranny for water leaks, wet floor/carpet, wet walls inside cabinets, ect. Water leaks are the most expensive thing on an rv to repair. Check every appliance, option, ac, awning, to make sure they work....look at it just like you look at a pre-owned home your looking at. Just replacing an ac unit can cost 2 grand, refrigerator--2 grand, hot water heater ---a grand.
Be prepared to do minor repairs and add on's your self...going rate as some repair shops can go as high a $140 per hour. Even fixing something that may be a warranty item, if within your ability, is a big plus. Some repair facilities are months behind on their work.
Buy a brand name, and don't buy a entry level rig...they cost less cause they cost less to make, and that means cheaper construction.
Also, rv warranty's are a joke. The appliances are warrantied by each manufacturer, and the coach by the builder...BUT, many dealers, even if they sell the same brand as your buying, may not do warranty work...you pay and hope to get reimbursed by the manufacturer. If you buy a Forrest River product at a Camping World in Georgia, and you have a problem in Arizona, the Camping World there may not do the warranty...you pay and try to get the cost back from Forrest River. It is a VERY common problem.
Final advice....if the wife don't like it DO NOT GET IT !!!

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We currently have a class c motor home, and tow a Subaru Crosstrek. Been to 45 of the lower 48, Alaska, and most of Canada. But our trips of 4-5-6 weeks are behind us and we are in the process of down sizing to a Jayco 24RL travel trailer, about 6500 lbs wet, 650 lbs tongue. Going from 3 vehicles and the motor home to just her Subi Outback and the Ranger for 1-2 week camping trips.
Advice...get something that is comfortable without being cramped. If your new to travel trailers and are planning longer trips, it does not take long to feel closed in with a small rig.
We started 50 years ago in a 16 footer, but each rig got bigger. We discovered that on longer trips we each needed our "own space". Subsequently our last 4 rigs have had a separate living and bedroom that we can each "escape" to, either to watch tv, read, take a nap, ect.
Don't know your family sixe, but if possible look for a rig that has theater seating instead of the usual fold out couches that are uncomfortable both as a couch and a bed.
And, a decent bathroom with a shower that you can move around in...some bathrooms are so small that you bang your knees while taking a sit down, and hit your elbows just taking a shower.
What your intentions for it's use will pretty much dictate the size...going remote and boondocking means large water and holding tanks, a solar set up, and usually a smaller rig.
Staying a full hook up campgrounds expands your size to something more comfortable.
There are several "weight watchers" on the forum who are totally against towing anywhere the weight/tow limit of the Rangers, while others, self included, have no problem towing a larger rig, still within the weight ratings.
If buying new, NEVER pay retail....start by offering at least 25 % less than retail, and 20 % less than their "discount" price. Although rv's are in high demand now, and production is just starting to ramp up again, there are deals out there...just don't fall in love with the first one you look at...be prepared to walk away.
Used...be wary...look at every nook and cranny for water leaks, wet floor/carpet, wet walls inside cabinets, ect. Water leaks are the most expensive thing on an rv to repair. Check every appliance, option, ac, awning, to make sure they work....look at it just like you look at a pre-owned home your looking at. Just replacing an ac unit can cost 2 grand, refrigerator--2 grand, hot water heater ---a grand.
Be prepared to do minor repairs and add on's your self...going rate as some repair shops can go as high a $140 per hour. Even fixing something that may be a warranty item, if within your ability, is a big plus. Some repair facilities are months behind on their work.
Buy a brand name, and don't buy a entry level rig...they cost less cause they cost less to make, and that means cheaper construction.
Also, rv warranty's are a joke. The appliances are warrantied by each manufacturer, and the coach by the builder...BUT, many dealers, even if they sell the same brand as your buying, may not do warranty work...you pay and hope to get reimbursed by the manufacturer. If you buy a Forrest River product at a Camping World in Georgia, and you have a problem in Arizona, the Camping World there may not do the warranty...you pay and try to get the cost back from Forrest River. It is a VERY common problem.
Final advice....if the wife don't like it DO NOT GET IT !!!
Hi Steve,

I concur with everything you say here. We too are done with the Marathon 3 months RV trips. We have booked a summer site in Flagstaff to escape the heat...Will park the RV up there and drive back to Green Valley as needed. Our Tortoise loves it up there so that is a benefit too although it is not his normal territory. We are not ready to downsize to anything but a 40 ft Class A for the reasons you stated. As I can fix almost anything, I am in demand at the Flagstaff Rv park as I work for beer...no $. Keeping or Rig in good shape is an almost daily task and we still upgrade some things like kitchen faucets etc. This is part of the life changing things through which we are going. This is way I have backed away from the 5G Forums to a degree. Things change...

Thank you for your sage advice above...

I will share that we thought we would never shed the Travel the Open Road, but you know....things change and we no longer have the call of the Open Road.

best,
Phil

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Anybody got one of these? Great looking unit!

61087f11b164eb33612a6d67.jpg
Not too many in our area...very few dealers. I did look at the specs for the Grand Design line...that one is the Imagine XLS. Seem to be well made, on the upper end of travel trailers as far as build quality and price.
90 % of RV's are built in the Indiana area, but each manufacturer builds different rigs for different parts of the country, east vs. west, so although you may see a "brand" at your local dealer you may not be able to get a certain "model" there.
I don't know if your a newbie or seasoned RV'er, but if new, try your best to stay away from Camping World. Some are OK, but many, many are nothing but sell sell sell and after you leave its good riddance. Sales people come and go very fast, and I have yet to meet one who knew anything about builds, operation, and just general knowledge of an rv. Their primary goal is to sell inventory, and most will tell you anything they can think of to sell you a rig. Camping World can lowball a price cause they are the biggest family owned dealership and they buy in quantity.
If you have an established independent dealer in your area, or even if you have to travel a bit, those are your best bets.
But as I posted, find a dealer that will be near enough that if warranty work is needed it won't be a problem for you. RV's warranties are not like auto warranties...you can take your Ford to any dealer for work and they will fit you in. An RV...you might be limited to the dealer you bought it from...if out of the area be prepared to pay out of pocket and try to get reimbursed from the manufacturer.
Most RV's (excluding the upper end rigs) will have a 12 month warranty on the coach, while the different appliances will each have their own manufacturers warranty, usually 2 years.
Some like Jayco have up to a 3 year warranty on the coach which is a step up from the average.
Look at extended warranties VERY CAREFULLY...almost all have exclusions as to repairs on the coach. They are expensive, and your almost better off putting the money for an extended warranty aside for possible repairs. Personally I would never get one.

OP
OP
The Long Ranger

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Steve,

I concur with everything you say here. We too are done with the Marathon 3 months RV trips. We have booked a summer site in Flagstaff to escape the heat...Will park the RV up there and drive back to Green Valley as needed. Our Tortoise loves it up there so that is a benefit too although it is not his normal territory. We are not ready to downsize to anything but a 40 ft Class A for the reasons you stated. As I can fix almost anything, I am in demand at the Flagstaff Rv park as I work for beer...no $. Keeping or Rig in good shape is an almost daily task and we still upgrade some things like kitchen faucets etc. This is part of the life changing things through which we are going. This is way I have backed away from the 5G Forums to a degree. Things change...

Thank you for your sage advice above...

I will share that we thought we would never shed the Travel the Open Road, but you know....things change and we no longer have the call of the Open Road.

best,
Phil
You had me at "Will work for beer"! Cheers