The ultimate factory sound system upgrade - thoughts?

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2010 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Every vehicle I have ever owned has had some form of sound system upgrade to it. I don't like to leave things stock when it comes to music. I listen to everything from Lil Uzi Vert, The Steeldrivers, Tyler Childers, The Beatles, etc etc.

I have been in many vehicles with factory systems that perform exceptionally well as far as enjoying music that I am listening to. Obviously, aftermarket is always better as manufactures are only concerned with the cheapest solution they can think of.

The best factory sound system I have ever heard was the system in a 2016 Dodge Dart.

My 2010 Ford Ranger had the worst factory system I have ever heard. The HU was severily dated, and the 6x8s in the door were measly with anything musical.

My father has a 2006 F150, when purchased new, had the upgraded stereo package. It came with a 6 CD change, 6.5s in the door, tweeters, and an 8" woofer under the rear seat.

My 2019 Ranger does not have the B&O system. If I am not mistaken though, the speakers in the doors are the same as the B&O package.

The 2019 Ranger has probably the best factory midbass response out of every vehicle I have ever been in. Even better performing quality wise vs. the 2006 F150.

We also have a 4Runner, and the Ranger outperforms the 4Runner in almost ALL aspects except treble.

I do have a decent system in my 2010 Ranger as that was the first thing I did when I bought it. Rockford Fosgate 6.5s components, RF tweeters, and American Bass XR-10s in a 4net enclosure. The subs are powered by a 1,500 watt Hifonics BRZ that clamps at roughly 900 watts at 1 ohm. The alternator and electrical has been upgraded as well. The truck sounds phenomenal and will absolutely float paper and perform hair tricks (I used to go to slamology lol)

Finally, the 2019 Ranger definitely has a decent factory sound system and I haven't even heard the B&O package myself.

I would like to get more sound from my 2019 Ranger. I think I may purchase this beast.

It claims that it is a plug and play amplifier kit for an F150, but I remember a forum member here mentioning the pinout on the harness is the same.

RMS on the amp (it looks like a Sony amplifier, maybe a Class D.)

Here are the specs after searching for it. (though the maker of the harness doesn't really say which amp it is, but it is verified Class D)

Sony or Pioneer Class-D 4-Channel Amplifier RMS Power Rating:4 ohms: 45 watts x 4 chan. Total power output: 400 watts CEA-2006 Compliant AmplifierPulse Width Modulated MOSFET power supplySoft start turn-onSpeaker-level (high-level) inputs3-way protection circuitry (thermal, overload, and speaker short protection)Frequency Response: 20 - 20,000HzTotal Harmonic Distortion (THD): 0.08%Signal to Noise Ratio: 83dBHigh pass filter: 120Hz, 12dB/octaveLow pass filter: 120Hz, 12dB/octaveFuse Rating: 15 A x 1

I am thinking that the ONLY downside to this is we may potentially lose chimes from the door speakers and only have chimes from the IPC.

As far as the speakers go, paper cones preform the absolute BEST for midbass. Kevlar, poly, etc, will all demolish bass response.

So.. the best paper cones I can find that will require no cutting or trimming would be these guys here.

If anyone has tested the harness, please comment. Otherwise I may buy it and rewire if necessary.

This can potentially make our factory system sound miles better without any other aftermarket parts. If you just don't want a sub. Most people rarely play music below 40Hz, and that seems to be near where the factory non B&O peaks.

At least, if a sub is ever needed, you can still have awesome mids and highs!
Sponsored

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome find. I have been looking for something just like this. The limits for factory sound systems always feels like the sound gets choked at some point well within limits of the oem speakers. With the level of integration the radio head unit has with many of the trucks functions in no way shape or form would most people even think about replacing it.

Question: I did not see a harness that is specifically called out for the Ranger. Your link sends us to an amp and the f-series harness that work with 2014-2018 f-series trucks. Is the Ranger a direct match with the HU harness?

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Question: I did not see a harness that is specifically called out for the Ranger. Your link sends us to an amp and the f-series harness that work with 2014-2018 f-series trucks. Is the Ranger a direct match with the HU harness?
Correct. In the post I asked if any users had tested in the new rangers. The harness is almost identical. Which is why we may lose the chimes through the speakers and only have them through IPC.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Are you going to order that amp?

Very curious how well it will work in our trucks.

I'd probably be happy with just getting better tweeters as my factory ones (non-B&O) seem kinda flat.

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Are you going to order that amp?

Very curious how well it will work in our trucks.

I'd probably be happy with just getting better tweeters as my factory ones (non-B&O) seem kinda flat.
Yes, I plan to order it next week sometime. Though, before I shell out cash I am waiting for a response from the person who makes them to see if it may function for us.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Looking forward to seeing the results if you do order it.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Every vehicle I have ever owned has had some form of sound system upgrade to it. I don't like to leave things stock when it comes to music. I listen to everything from Lil Uzi Vert, The Steeldrivers, Tyler Childers, The Beatles, etc etc.

I have been in many vehicles with factory systems that perform exceptionally well as far as enjoying music that I am listening to. Obviously, aftermarket is always better as manufactures are only concerned with the cheapest solution they can think of.

The best factory sound system I have ever heard was the system in a 2016 Dodge Dart.

My 2010 Ford Ranger had the worst factory system I have ever heard. The HU was severily dated, and the 6x8s in the door were measly with anything musical.

My father has a 2006 F150, when purchased new, had the upgraded stereo package. It came with a 6 CD change, 6.5s in the door, tweeters, and an 8" woofer under the rear seat.

My 2019 Ranger does not have the B&O system. If I am not mistaken though, the speakers in the doors are the same as the B&O package.

The 2019 Ranger has probably the best factory midbass response out of every vehicle I have ever been in. Even better performing quality wise vs. the 2006 F150.

We also have a 4Runner, and the Ranger outperforms the 4Runner in almost ALL aspects except treble.

I do have a decent system in my 2010 Ranger as that was the first thing I did when I bought it. Rockford Fosgate 6.5s components, RF tweeters, and American Bass XR-10s in a 4net enclosure. The subs are powered by a 1,500 watt Hifonics BRZ that clamps at roughly 900 watts at 1 ohm. The alternator and electrical has been upgraded as well. The truck sounds phenomenal and will absolutely float paper and perform hair tricks (I used to go to slamology lol)

Finally, the 2019 Ranger definitely has a decent factory sound system and I haven't even heard the B&O package myself.

I would like to get more sound from my 2019 Ranger. I think I may purchase this beast.

It claims that it is a plug and play amplifier kit for an F150, but I remember a forum member here mentioning the pinout on the harness is the same.

RMS on the amp (it looks like a Sony amplifier, maybe a Class D.)

Here are the specs after searching for it. (though the maker of the harness doesn't really say which amp it is, but it is verified Class D)

Sony or Pioneer Class-D 4-Channel Amplifier RMS Power Rating:4 ohms: 45 watts x 4 chan. Total power output: 400 watts CEA-2006 Compliant AmplifierPulse Width Modulated MOSFET power supplySoft start turn-onSpeaker-level (high-level) inputs3-way protection circuitry (thermal, overload, and speaker short protection)Frequency Response: 20 - 20,000HzTotal Harmonic Distortion (THD): 0.08%Signal to Noise Ratio: 83dBHigh pass filter: 120Hz, 12dB/octaveLow pass filter: 120Hz, 12dB/octaveFuse Rating: 15 A x 1

I am thinking that the ONLY downside to this is we may potentially lose chimes from the door speakers and only have chimes from the IPC.

As far as the speakers go, paper cones preform the absolute BEST for midbass. Kevlar, poly, etc, will all demolish bass response.

So.. the best paper cones I can find that will require no cutting or trimming would be these guys here.

If anyone has tested the harness, please comment. Otherwise I may buy it and rewire if necessary.

This can potentially make our factory system sound miles better without any other aftermarket parts. If you just don't want a sub. Most people rarely play music below 40Hz, and that seems to be near where the factory non B&O peaks.

At least, if a sub is ever needed, you can still have awesome mids and highs!
One way to tell if the speakers are the same, of course is to contact your dealer's parts department and ask.

I am still miffed with Ford in that S/Cab's with the 501A package do not get the B&O system, yet are charged the same amount for it.

No matter though, my hearing perception is not quite what it used to be, so the garden variety 6 speaker system in my 2020 Lariat sounds just fine. If, at all I may upgrade the door and rear speakers down the road.

You certainly know the subject, back in the day I would drool over Nakamichi systems, but all I could afford was either Pioneer or Concord components...

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The stock 6 speaker system isn't bad in my ranger but I have the super cab...I didn't realize they were different. I had the sony system in my old focus st with a factory 8" sub an it wasn't bad. I have a sony X5000 on my Harley with a sound digital amp an Hertz speakers an it kicks pretty good but I'm limited on bass without a sub. After 12 years in the navy, riding a harley with loud pipes, wind noise an no ear plugs I probably couldn't tell a real high quality sound from what's on my bike. My kid is looking at the new Aviator with the 14 speaker system if he buys it I'll have to give a review.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
The stock 6 speaker system isn't bad in my ranger but I have the super cab...I didn't realize they were different. I had the sony system in my old focus st with a factory 8" sub an it wasn't bad. I have a sony X5000 on my Harley with a sound digital amp an Hertz speakers an it kicks pretty good but I'm limited on bass without a sub. After 12 years in the navy, riding a harley with loud pipes, wind noise an no ear plugs I probably couldn't tell a real high quality sound from what's on my bike. My kid is looking at the new Aviator with the 14 speaker system if he buys it I'll have to give a review.
It seems as though Lariat S/Cabs with or without the 501A package have the same 6 speaker systems the XLT series does. The XL series appears to have just 4 speakers in both cab designs.

Fourteen speakers? jeez, where do they hide all of them in that vehicle?

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
My Ranger has a great system, but the Sony in our Explorer (Platinum) might be a little better. It seems like almost all vehicles today have pretty decent sound systems. Some of that improvement my come from the fact that my hearing isn't what it used to be either. I remember that when I was younger (and even more stupid than now), every new vehicle I got, regardless of make, had to get an aftermarket sound system.

OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
AtillaTheHung

AtillaTheHung

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Vehicle Showcase
That looks awesome! Thanks for the info. I will be ordering one of these.

I don't have the money at the moment with everything going on. I'm hoping to be buying one here shortly when my factory wheels sell. Let me know how it goes for you. I'm excited for other members, but sad I can't already have it lol.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I have a message in to see which kit I should get. I will initially upgrade the amp and add better speakers. Eventually, I want (or to leave room for) a sub...probably a powered sub like this. I see he offered a couple different kits with sub options and I am not sure what the differences are.

ShadowKeeper

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Anyone know the difference between an XLT radio with the 6 speaker set-up, and the B&O radio found on the Lariat. The XLT radio/speakers just don’t cut it, and I’m not sure if I need to replace the radio which seems to be almost impossible with all it does for the truck. Or if I can just add better speakers. I’d like something that fits in the spot of the factory sub as well, rooms already tight back there.
Sponsored