The start of properly washing and waxing, tips and advice appreciated

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
When I did the meguiars hybrid paint coating on mine I just did a brief light polish to sort of refine the finish.

Truthfully I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of perfect paint on a daily and it’s just not worth it. Between the limited clear coat you have to work with and the fact it will be a daily driver youd be wasting time going all in.

If you reapply next year I’d say do a once over polish just to refine the clear coat a bit and then reapply.

The truck looks great. I’m glad I finally did a coating as washing the truck has been easier than ever before. The dirt just comes right off and the water almost flashes off the paint. Worth it.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
When I did the meguiars hybrid paint coating on mine I just did a brief light polish to sort of refine the finish.

Truthfully I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of perfect paint on a daily and it’s just not worth it. Between the limited clear coat you have to work with and the fact it will be a daily driver youd be wasting time going all in.

If you reapply next year I’d say do a once over polish just to refine the clear coat a bit and then reapply.

The truck looks great.

I’m glad I finally did a coating as washing the truck has been easier than ever before. The dirt just comes right off and the water almost flashes off the paint. Worth it.
That's a huge bonus for all the hard work. Out here we have so much dust in the air and keeping it clean really helps as most will blow right off. We've had an active monsoon season this year and the rain does not spot the truck and as long as it's a good long rain it still looks clean. The worst is when it's full of pollen and you get a light sprinkle and it basically makes green mud on your truck.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Looks great Brandon!! :like: You can really see the depth of the color in the second picture. Especially the reflection off the hood of the garage door opener. It looks like a mirror! :sunglasses:

Yeah you created a little more work for yourself by doing the whole truck and letting it dry. lol It's better to do 2 panels and then buff and go on to the next 2. As soon as you see it haze over it's ready to buff out. The first time I applied it I used way to much on the roof and let it dry to long and it was tough buffing it off.

You could do a 3rd coat tonight and practice doing 2 panels. :giggle:
Thanks Dave! I think the black is definitely stronger after using the graphene.

Yeah, silly me trying to rush things :p two panels definitely sounds like a sweet spot. I did the hood properly with not too heavy hazing but after that I rushed it haha. I’ll probably leave it at one coat for now. Already took it for a drive and had peoples neck breaking left and right :handsinair:Going to do paint correction in a month or so. Then re do the graphene again with two coats.This was just a trial run :p

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

The truck looks great. I’m glad I finally did a coating as washing the truck has been easier than ever before. The dirt just comes right off and the water almost flashes off the paint. Worth it.
Appreciate the comment and tip! Perhaps I’ll wait a little more than a month to redo the process. Just some wash n wax after normal car wash.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Final pics out of the garage.
F330A154-F147-482A-B846-1DA7393EECCB.jpeg
5C16A3CC-AACD-4B8F-BB1A-0D6243EEB3AC.jpeg

there’s a scratch I think I made from rushing things… under the headlight, but used the 3D speed AIO with microfiber and hand rubbing to get 90% of it out. Should buff right out with the buffer when I get a chance.
5D76E2E4-C499-41A0-A994-4ADA1949A4DF.jpeg
C1828F2B-A561-4968-8986-4FDE54271ACE.jpeg

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Forgot to mention, 303 graphene really restored a newer look to the plastics on my car. The grill, license plate holders, and window seals all look way better than dry and parched out.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks Dave! I think the black is definitely stronger after using the graphene.

Yeah, silly me trying to rush things :p two panels definitely sounds like a sweet spot. I did the hood properly with not too heavy hazing but after that I rushed it haha. I’ll probably leave it at one coat for now. Already took it for a drive and had peoples neck breaking left and right :handsinair:Going to do paint correction in a month or so. Then re do the graphene again with two coats.This was just a trial run :p
Once you do 2 coats and hit it with some gloss enhancer you'll be causing accidents everywhere. ?

Now you have a feeling on how it dries so next time it should be a lot easier. When I did mine I did the roof and one front fender then buff. The the hood and the other fender and grille area. Then 2 doors and so on so you're not to to far ahead of yourself. You don't need a lot of product either, a little goes a long way and once you feel it drag just spray the pad a couple more times.

Forgot to mention, 303 graphene really restored a newer look to the plastics on my car. The grill, license plate holders, and window seals all look way better than dry and parched out.
You'll notice it stays that way too because of the uv protection in it.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Once you do 2 coats and hit it with some gloss enhancer you'll be causing accidents everywhere. ?

Now you have a feeling on how it dries so next time it should be a lot easier. When I did mine I did the roof and one front fender then buff. The the hood and the other fender and grille area. Then 2 doors and so on so you're not to to far ahead of yourself. You don't need a lot of product either, a little goes a long way and once you feel it drag just spray the pad a couple more times.

You'll notice it stays that way too because of the uv protection in it.
Haha definitely thinking about a gloss enhancer or the collonite 845.

Appreciate the insight. Yeah no more getting crazy with the graphene, only a couple panels at most haha. I applied a lot of graphene after each panel. Maybe too much and follow your drag/resistance method.

Yay for protected paint and plastics!! :turkey:

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
That's a huge bonus for all the hard work. Out here we have so much dust in the air and keeping it clean really helps as most will blow right off. We've had an active monsoon season this year and the rain does not spot the truck and as long as it's a good long rain it still looks clean. The worst is when it's full of pollen and you get a light sprinkle and it basically makes green mud on your truck.
I have seen the same with rain as well, as long as it’s a heavy consistent rain the truck doesn’t hold onto dirt like it did previously.

Thankfully the pollen has left us for now but it was the worst to clean the truck only to come back to start it up and realize it was now green.

I also coated my wheels and they’re ridiculously easy to clean. I wasn’t able to wash for 3 weeks and the dirt just came right off. No effort required.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
@AzScorpion this looks very interesting… not too much reviews on it obviously but ceramic and graphene? Gimmick or has some meat to it? Link

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Yup you can coat just about anything with it except your body. lol

It does have a strong lighter fluid smell to it so make sure you leave the door or window open while working with it. :crazy:
And you know this from practical experience huh! ?

lol.... I've been lucky so far and most areas out here are fairly open but I do run into some scrubby overgrown stuff on occasion. I have a set of Fiskar hand pruning shears and a fold up saw. They're nice and all and fit in my gear bag. One thing on my list is this cordless Milwaukee chainsaw.

Milwaukee Cordless Chainsaw.jpg
Still? Can't believe you haven't already got them since boosted TGD sales should have covered that and more!! ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
@AzScorpion this looks very interesting… not too much reviews on it obviously but ceramic and graphene? Gimmick or has some meat to it? Link
I've never heard of it but just reading the link has me questioning this.

Shine Armor’s Graphene Ceramic Spray provides protection that lasts for a minimum of 6 months,
You're taking the two best most durable products on the market (ceramic and graphene) and you're only giving it 6 months of protection? I know it says a minimum but if it lasted longer I would think that would be their big selling point? With the 303 Graphene they come right out and tell you 1 year + protection if you start with their product as a base.

Me thinks it's.....?

Snake Oil Salesman.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
And you know this from practical experience huh! ?
:lipssealed:

Still? Can't believe you haven't already got them since boosted TGD sales should have covered that and more!! ?
Most revenue is now going towards the Bronco fund. After seeing those videos with that large 12" screen and all the other goodies I've now upped mine to a Badlands with the high package. Now I'm even looking at the optional beadlock capable wheels for an additional $1K.:curse::explode:

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I've never heard of it but just reading the link has me questioning this.

You're taking the two best most durable products on the market (ceramic and graphene) and you're only giving it 6 months of protection? I know it says a minimum but if it lasted longer I would think that would be their big selling point? With the 303 Graphene they come right out and tell you 1 year + protection if you start with their product as a base.

Me thinks it's.....?

Snake Oil Salesman.jpg
I was skeptical about the 6 months the second when I read that too. Probably snake oil indeed. Appreciate the insight, Dave.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

These forums have made me into a purchasing monster. Today I decided to go on Amazon and create a cart full of beginner car washing goodies. Any further recommendations? What car wash soap do you guys like? What wax or polish you like? Any tips/videos for first time polishing/buffing out/claying?

So far:
303 Graphene (Courtesy of guess who? Dave @AzScorpion)
303 Aerospace Protectant for interior (Same courtesy)
6 inch black &decker random orbit waxer/polisher to remove swirls
3D speed Car Polish and Wax (for swirls)
Chenille Microfiber Brush mop and mitt
Adam's premium Foam Gun (Not the brand but a foam gun was put into my mind by the devil on my shoulder again, Dave)
8 pc car wheel brush set because my wheels are annoying to clean with all those little machined pockets.
Meguiar's X2000 Water Magnet Microfiber (Going to test this out and see how it works versus traditional microfibers)
Mothers California Gold Instant Detailar(For when I clay the truck)
Mothers Speed Clay 2.0(going to try this out versus traditional clay and see if I like the results)

The process I will be going is: (first thoughts process, updated finalized process on page 3)
1. Car wash with foam gun and microfiber brush/mitt and clean wheels with brush. Apply tire shine.
2. Move into garage, dry off with Water Magnet Microfiber
3. Clay bar/Clay 2.0 with Mothers California Gold Instant Detailer as the lubricant to remove tar/water spots and contaminants.
4. Random orbit buff/polish with 3D speed Car Polish and Wax to remove swirls and imperfections. (will a random orbit buffer remove vinyl stickers or safe to use over them?(refer to post below but short answer, masking tape over vinyls do not buff or wax them))
5. Shine Armor Fortify Coat to apply a sealant type material and shine. Removing this step I think, no need for this many waxes/sealants.
6. 303 Graphene as last step. For this I just use a normal microfiber?(yes, wipe on wipe off, square pad applicator for ease recommended by Jack in post below) or can I use the random orbit?

Am I missing any steps? Any additional products I should use?

Please let me know any tips or advice, will be much appreciated as this is my first time jumping into this side of the world.

EDIT: two links are posted below for cleaning tips, one is a 303 graphene thread created by Dave, another is a cleaning/detailing thread found and linked by Terry below. Few more links spreader throughout post, very helpful ones too.

Thanks for reading,
Brandon
a4f363f6e88291e01cb54a553b4e2a9d.png
cool man, I'll be following this thread. What about cleaning engine bay? It gets really dirty after rides in the desert.
Cool
Sponsored