First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
Well at least they didn't take my rear lights...

eI3jJFwl.jpg

Y4WubJYl.jpg

skKfHnRl.jpg

Think the a**hole was looking for a gun. Only opened the glove box & center console before screwing off. All while I was at work. MF couldn't have just busted the glass. Had to pry against the window frame itself. Needless to say I'm not a fan of people at the moment.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Spotted this Road Runner in a Starbucks parking lot while out on a ride Saturday. He was probably scrounging for scraps and maybe looking for a hit of coffee!
1680527856185.png

Pic 1: he's peeking over the curb.
Pic 2: he's looking over the menu... :inspect:
Please expand these shots for a closer view.

RR-peeking over a curb (circled).jpg
RR-full view (circled).jpg

Bike.jpg

Last edited:

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Spotted this Road Runner in a Starbucks parking lot while out on a ride Saturday. He was probably scrounging for scraps and maybe looking for a hit of coffee!
1680527856185.png

Pic 1: he's peeking over the curb.
Pic 2: he's looking over the menu... :inspect:
Please expand these shots for a closer view.

RR-peeking over a curb (circled).jpg
RR-full view (circled).jpg

Bike.jpg

roadrunners aren't the size of coyotes??

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
roadrunners aren't the size of coyotes??
Nope, they’re bite-size.

33BFDFC8-23CB-4F8E-8739-8B2B3532653E.jpeg
Hey Duke,
That pic reminded me of a coyote encounter I had in December.

Went over to do a ride in the canyon behind our city dam.

1680533082703.jpeg

Finished up the ride and then stopped to rest after getting back to the top. Two hikers were staring intensely and pointing at something down in the mouth of the dam, so I went over to see what was going on. They pointed to a pack of 3 coyotes who were moving at a pretty good clip. Told them I hadn't seen any here before…they looked surprised and said that earlier they had watched me pass by the pack (fortunately without any incidents) that appeared to be only a short distance away from my bike and I didn't even know it! I try to carefully observe what's ahead to prepare for any alternative riding plan or changes to prevent mishaps and still didn’t see a trace of them!

Next pic. shows an overview of the area where the hikers said they saw my ride near the coyotes. The arrow on the left shows the direction I was heading in just before going by the pack. The arrow on the right is the approximate point where afterwards the hikers and I saw the pack moving ahead. The X is the approximate location from up above where we were standing when we observed the moving coyotes.

1680533443947.jpeg

Later I went back down into the vicinity where the coyotes were seen near as I rode by them to look at the terrain and got some pics. These pics. below show the trail in that area as it progressed. Once you get through the stream bed in pic. 4 and on the road where the hikers are, it’s pretty clean riding. Until then it was slower-going in the lower gears because of the gravel...not a good place to encounter unruly coyotes...on firmer ground you could try and make a run for it...coyotes can get up to 40 mph.

1680533574301.jpeg

1680533641477.jpeg

1680533740884.jpeg

1680533808975.jpeg

Was talking to a biker a few days later and he saw a coyote stroll up the side of the dam and calmly sit down on the walkway about 20 feet from him...then casually walked away after several minutes. The X on this pic. shows approximately where he said the coyote was sitting.

1680534057041.jpeg

Have talked to some bikers and hikers since who reported there have been sightings in here frequently and evidently, they have gotten comfortable being around people. Probably some people feeding them who do not understand the consequences for doing that in areas where people reside close by.

Attached pics of some of these guys who hang out in this canyon area of the dam...

1680534941828.jpeg

1680534985986.jpeg

1680535018238.jpeg

I met a hiker who had a good size dog with him that looked like he could take care of himself. He said that several weeks before, him and the dog were walking the trails and out of nowhere a coyote about 2/3's the size of the dog came up and nipped at the dog's tail then quickly took off.

We are used to coyotes here in NM because it is their natural habitat, and they tend to stay primarily in isolated areas because they are reclusive and usually only seen at night. They are normally non-aggressive unless seriously threatened and usually can be scared off because they resist attacking beings larger than themselves. According to some reports, making loud noises has worked to send them away. The advice is not to run but to back off slowly. The time for concern is when coyotes are rabid and on the attack. It has happened...

Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Duke,
That pic reminded me of a coyote encounter I had in December.

Went over to do a ride behind our city dam.
1680533082703.jpeg

Finished up the ride and then stopped to rest after getting back to the top.…
Believe or not, we have a very healthy coyote population right in the heart of downtown Toronto. There is a heavily forested ravine system as the result of small rivers running through the city. As their numbers grow, they spread out and garbage bins become a food source, as do small pets. Dummies feed them, of course and mid-day sightings are becoming more common.

I had one follow me when I was mountain biking through Badlands National Park in South Dakota - it never got close but it sure kept an eye on me for a while. It would move away for a bit, then circle back - wily indeed.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Believe or not, we have a very healthy coyote population right in the heart of downtown Toronto. There is a heavily forested ravine system as the result of small rivers running through the city. As their numbers grow, they spread out and garbage bins become a food source, as do small pets. Dummies feed them, of course and mid-day sightings are becoming more common.

I had one follow me when I was mountain biking through Badlands National Park in South Dakota - it never got close but it sure kept an eye on me for a while. It would move away for a bit, then circle back - wily indeed.
Duke,
I believe that. I live about 3 blocks away from our dam. A neighbor and wife who live on my block told me that one afternoon they saw a coyote calmly strolling down our sidewalk and then walk down into the dam. They live closer to the dam than I and hear them howling at night. I learned as a kid never to mess with a wild animal even if they look tame and docile. I'm more cautious now when in the dam area. I carry a metal tire pump in the backpack but am thinking that that might not be enough if I ever have to deal with a mad coyote... ?‍♂

Bike tire pump.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: