Text messages on info screen

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
For a brief time, when I got a text message while driving, it would show up on infotainment screen. Since I'm not a texter/driver, I thought it was pretty cool, hit button and it would read aloud. It's gone again, and I'd like it back. Can anyone walk me through the steps to set it up again?
thanks...
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Could be on your phone.....if you have an iPhone go to setting, blue tooth, Ford Ranger and select "show notifications".

Although I have to say that mine doesn't always work....seems to be finicky!

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Could be on your phone.....if you have an iPhone go to setting, blue tooth, Ford Ranger and select "show notifications".

Although I have to say that mine doesn't always work....seems to be finicky!
Thanks, I will look, on my Android..

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I get a notice "text message from Ryan" an hit a button to hear it. I don't remember seeing the option to display it on the screen. That would be nice since it only turns the music down to play it, not off so it's hard to hear.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I get a lot of text and really like this feature while driving. It's worked flawlessly with my iPhone.
I have an Iphone also but it doesn't work now. I haven't done any of the sync or maps updates either so maybe that's it. With my vision issues I pay 110% attention to driving and try not to even look at the screen. I'm just starting to use voice commands now, but they can be a little quirky.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I get a notice "text message from Ryan" an hit a button to hear it. I don't remember seeing the option to display it on the screen. That would be nice since it only turns the music down to play it, not off so it's hard to hear.
This only shows up when you are at a stop. Definitely not safe to be reading a text while in motion. You can adjust the volume of the "reading" if you turn the volume knob up while the text is being read.

As for the text not showing. I had this issue at two different points on two different phones, both Android. It happened after an update to the phone. All you need to do is go to you Bluetooth settings on the phone, find the truck, and click delete/unpair/forget whatever it says. Go to the truck and do the same thing. Then you just repair the two together, and all is well. I've had it happen only twice, so it's not too annoying.

What is annoying is that I get a text (only a single text) and the ding, happens followed by an immediate second ding. The truck will say I have two messages, and i have to wait for the notification to disappear to pull up the text menu, only to find that the truck takes my oldest message in the phone and renews it somehow. I have to click "refresh messages" on the screen to get it to stop. But it comes back after a few texts.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have an Iphone also but it doesn't work now. I haven't done any of the sync or maps updates either so maybe that's it. With my vision issues I pay 110% attention to driving and try not to even look at the screen. I'm just starting to use voice commands now, but they can be a little quirky.
Bret, That's strange because I've never done any of the updates either. Seems like they were more trouble than it was worth after reading everyone else's issues doing the updates. The only time my voice commands don't work well is if I have the windows open/cracked and it's picking up outside noise.

Check your iPhone setting like @landiscarrier suggested. Here's a screenshot of mine.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 8.41.15 AM.jpg

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Bret, That's strange because I've never done any of the updates either. Seems like they were more trouble than it was worth after reading everyone else's issues doing the updates. The only time my voice commands don't work well is if I have the windows open/cracked and it's picking up outside noise.
I will try it again Dave, maybe its me. I should try the wife's to see how hers works. Her sync is the new version and there are quite a few differences between them.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I will try it again Dave, maybe its me. I should try the wife's to see how hers works. Her sync is the new version and there are quite a few differences between them.
That's one feature I use everyday while driving. I updated my last post to show the screenshot of my iPhone settings. You might want to check yours because sometimes when you update your phone the setting can get changed.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
That's one feature I use everyday while driving. I updated my last post to show the screenshot of my iPhone settings. You might want to check yours because sometimes when you update your phone the setting can get changed.
Thanks for that Dave. As soon as I saw Landis post above I checked mine and the settings are the same as yours . Someday if it every stops raining ,sleeting or snowing I will check into it further. I did an update a couple of weeks ago maybe that caused it.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for that Dave. As soon as I saw Landis post above I checked mine and the settings are the same as yours . Someday if it every stops raining ,sleeting or snowing I will check into it further. I did an update a couple of weeks ago maybe that caused it.
Somedays mine works flawlessly and others days nothing comes through. I have no idea why!

Always works when I use CarPlay but Carplay kinda' annoys me. lol

OP
OP

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I will try to unpair and re-pair. I really liked the option to hear text when driving. It would have been nice two days this week when the school I teach at texted 2 hour delay and today, remote learning. Drove all the way in both days...

BTW, I did the sync update and I don't like. Wish I could change back...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This only shows up when you are at a stop.
My notifications show up on the main screen while driving. Gives me the option the hear, call or cancel.
Sponsored