Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Like many of you, I like interacting with the forum members here a lot but I have a project that’s going to take me away from my usual online shenanigans. I have a second floor balcony that needs a bit of attention.

It was looking a little crooked one day and upon closer inspection, I noticed this…

67639449981__775F6922-CFDE-4A80-8F2F-862B402DF6E3.jpeg

It might not look too bad but when you open it up to take a look inside, you see you have a big problem with rotted timbers…

IMG_3903.jpeg

And when you peel away that nice Hardie Panel concrete cladding, you soon find out, you have an enormous problem…

IMG_4185.jpeg

So, before this collapses onto me or someone important, I’m going to be a bit busy. Everyone loves a winter project but I really didn’t want an outdoor one.

Duke definitely didn’t build it but Duke needs to rebuild it. Between this poorly timed project and caring for Mrs. DukeCanBuildit, I’m going to be very busy. As much as I’d love to be on here trading barbs and sharing laughs with the usual suspects, I’ll be offline for a bit. Hopefully, it all goes well.

And you thought checking the transmission fluid level was a PITA. 😀
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Wow. I believe a redesign is in order. Good luck with the project.

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. I believe a redesign is in order. Good luck with the project.
Thanks Kent. The design was sound, the execution of the flat roof surface sucked. The problem was poor flashing, lack of flashing in some areas, and shortcuts in laying the roofing system. I can salvage some of it and when I rebuild it properly, it will be fine.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Thanks Kent. The design was sound, the execution of the flat roof surface sucked. The problem was poor flashing, lack of flashing in some areas, and shortcuts in laying the roofing system. I can salvage some of it and when I rebuild it properly, it will be fine.
The joys of home ownership. I hate to redo something that should have been done correctly in the first place. But I'm sure it will be sound when you repair it.

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I replaced a porch like that years ago and it was not fun. Entire thing wound up going in the end. No snow up there either?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Like many of you, I like interacting with the forum members here a lot but I have a project that’s going to take me away from my usual online shenanigans. I have a second floor balcony that needs a bit of attention.

It was looking a little crooked one day and upon closer inspection, I noticed this…

67639449981__775F6922-CFDE-4A80-8F2F-862B402DF6E3.jpeg

It might not look too bad but when you open it up to take a look inside, you see you have a big problem with rotted timbers…

IMG_3903.jpeg

And when you peel away that nice Hardie Panel concrete cladding, you soon find out, you have an enormous problem…

IMG_4185.jpeg

So, before this collapses onto me or someone important, I’m going to be a bit busy. Everyone loves a winter project but I really didn’t want an outdoor one.

Duke definitely didn’t build it but Duke needs to rebuild it. Between this poorly timed project and caring for Mrs. DukeCanBuildit, I’m going to be very busy. As much as I’d love to be on here trading barbs and sharing laughs with the usual suspects, I’ll be offline for a bit. Hopefully, it all goes well.

And you thought checking the transmission fluid level was a PITA. 😀
glad you guys didnt walk out on that thing and bounce around too much! Good luck with the project. You will have to send us some pictures of the progress.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
We will miss you while you are away, for sure.
Be safe!

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced a porch like that years ago and it was not fun. Entire thing wound up going in the end. No snow up there either?
No snow and mild weather - I hope it lasts.

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
We will miss you while you are away, for sure.
Be safe!
Thanks Chris - it’s only two stories up but I wear a full climbing harness, safety lanyard (tree saver strap, actually), climbing helmet, and shock absorbing tethers for my tools. I’ve also installed three very strong anchor points, so I’m hooked in whenever I’m up top or on a ladder.

It might seem like a lot of gear but it’s super comfortable, doesn’t get in the way, you get used to it as soon as you get into it, and Mrs. DukeCanBuildit rests a lot easier when I’m using it.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
@DukeCanBuildit refer to the redneck thread for helpful hints. I'd just wrap a tow strap around those posts, hook'em up to the Ranger and give'em a good tug. KJCanDemoIt. ;)

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
@DukeCanBuildit refer to the redneck thread for helpful hints. I'd just wrap a tow strap around those posts, hook'em up to the Ranger and give'em a good tug. KJCanDemoIt. ;)
Good advice but I bet I could bring one of the posts down with some bailing twine and a fat kid on a tricycle.

IMG_6004.jpeg

“Hold my Dr. Pepper, watch this!”
Sponsored