Tactical Bed Rack and Rolling Bed Cover Compatibility

CycloneCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Professional Storm Photographer / Volunteer EMS
Hi everyone, I'm building a storm intercept / volunteer EMS concept using a 2021 Ford Ranger Super Crew Cab.

I'm having trouble matching a tactical bed rack with a manual, rolling bed cover. (Not electrical). The two items I wanted to use are the RX 12"-18" Adjustable Rack: https://rcimetalworks.com/product/universal-bed-rack/

And the Pace Edwards "Switchblade" retracting bed cover. https://rhrswag.com/product/pace-ed...MIuKXa0JOD7gIVLh-tBh1QlQloEAAYASAAEgK1D_D_BwE

I'm not seeking a "construction" type ladder holder, sporting goods rack or anything higher than the truck cab, preferably something in the 12" to 18" with the ability to mount RotopaX cans on the sides.

Has anyone completed a working set-up with the same or similar equipment? I am aware there are brackets designed to adapt bed racks to bed covers, but when I contact the manufacturers, they all say something like: "they know a guy, who knows a guy's brother that it worked for."

So if if you have found a combination that works without serious metal work modification, please let me know and thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CycloneCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid drilling into the actual truck's bed rails, but I don't see any other option as both the rails for the bed cover and the rack mounts use the same base / connection expanders.

OP
OP

CycloneCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Here is a picture of what I am trying to do. This is a Toyota, but the idea is the same. The only problem I see is that the rails for the bed cover would not be 100% flush against the inner truck rails once you add the adapters. Although it's a very small space, I'm not sure the tolerances would allow the cover rails to fit, or it might cause water to leak in unless you completely sealed it.

truck.jpg

OP
OP

CycloneCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I researched this a ton early on. What you see on the Toyota above is that he trimmed the actual tonneau rails around the bed rack brackets to allow it to sit flush. You cannot do this with a retrax style cover. I have a buddy with a retrax and a bed rack and he had to buy seals and put in the gap left after installing both. Trust me, I looked for every solution and there’s no better way with the retrax. For this reason I went with a soft roll up cover for my setup just like you see above.

OP
OP

CycloneCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
I researched this a ton early on. What you see on the Toyota above is that he trimmed the actual tonneau rails around the bed rack brackets to allow it to sit flush. You cannot do this with a retrax style cover. I have a buddy with a retrax and a bed rack and he had to buy seals and put in the gap left after installing both. Trust me, I looked for every solution and there’s no better way with the retrax. For this reason I went with a soft roll up cover for my setup just like you see above.
Thanks! That was exactly what I was thinking. I think I'll do what OFC Ranger suggested and just mount the rack on top of the the actual truck bed rails. In other words, just like the picture of the Toyota set-up but with the adapters mounted on top, with no side bracket extending downward to interfer with the bed rails. In fact, the adapters would work great by just cutting off the part that extends downward.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Thanks! That was exactly what I was thinking. I think I'll do what OFC Ranger suggested and just mount the rack on top of the the actual truck bed rails. In other words, just like the picture of the Toyota set-up but with the adapters mounted on top, with no side bracket extending downward to interfer with the bed rails. In fact, the adapters would work great by just cutting off the part that extends downward.
Exactly what I did. I bought the tonneau to work better with the tonneau brackets then ended up having a custom rack made and just bolting right through.
51A93CF0-0688-467B-812E-284B7478A4A1.jpeg

OP
OP

CycloneCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Thanks everyone. Drill baby, drill...!!!

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This doesn't use the specific equipment you've mentioned wanting to use, but it accomplishes the same thing and there was no drilling into my bed rails. The best part is, the manufacturer of the rack can pretty much tailor it for your needs as far as height is concerned, and 5' and 6' bed lengths. In the phots below, ignore the extra strip of black foam running on top the bed rails; I've since removed it.
2020-12-23 15.51.54.jpg
2020-12-13 13.03.43.jpg

2020-12-13 13.02.51.jpg

2020-12-13 13.02.54.jpg

2020-12-13 13.03.10.jpg

OP
OP

CycloneCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Thanks for posting... nice set-up. I'm surprised you were able to get the cover to fit, as I'm told the brackets holding the bed rack take up a very slight about of width space (1/16" maybe), but just enough so the cover does not fit tight across, or at all?

I'm still planning on using the Retraxpro-XT (https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr) and using t-adapters in the rail grooves to attach the RCI Rack (https://rooftopoverland.com/collections/rci-off-road).

I'll look over your set-up also.

What height is that rack? I need to make sure I have 100% visibility out the back window and from the pictures it seems the rack is below the roof / top window line?
Sponsored

Last edited: