OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I accidently popped the ball out joint on one of my front sway bars. The rubber boot is still intact (just looks like the tiny metal ring on the end got distorted). Is that something where I can completely remove that sway bar and use common garage tools to knock it back into its joint? I tried doing it by hand but that didn't work.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure you would have success getting it back in, but the longevity of that joint may be questionable now.
So what's the deal about some people just leaving the sway bars removed? For my understanding that's more for off-road applications but a lot of guys say with upgraded suspension that's already stiffer than factory that the handlings not altered by that much on road.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So what's the deal about some people just leaving the sway bars removed? For my understanding that's more for off-road applications but a lot of guys say with upgraded suspension that's already stiffer than factory that the handlings not altered by that much on road.
Hi Jack,

Okay...in a nutshell.... Sway bars (roll bars, antisway bars etc.) only work when one wheel is going up or down or one up and one down. Then they add stiffness to counteract roll and stiffen the vehicle at the front or rear depending where the bars are. This stiffening changes the tire slip angle so the vehicle either starts to understeer (front) or oversteer (rear). Both wheels up or down...little affect. So "Up graded" suspension... you get same as above in corning but also in overall ride quality being harsher in some cases. Choose your poision, eh? Make sense? I always have been light springs and shocks and big sway bars guy. It had done me well on prior Rangers under my watch and in my SCCA Racetruck Test Mule days.

My opinion...get your link fixed or replaced or tolerate the change in handling without the links. Off Raod is all about articulation so no bars to leave the wheels independent of each other. No on road application for good handling....JMO... This is why there swaybar disconnects as well as "air down" tires... Different arena.... Where do you choose to play? Off road or On road...

Gosh...another long winded post....Sigh...wish this was so simple but it is not...vehicle tuning is really tough to try to please everyone...

Best,
Phil

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I just popped mine out yesterday. I was concerned about it not going back in. I will try and use the clamp method today. I figure that worst case I'll just remove them altogether. I would prefer to have the quick release ones that I've seen floating around the forums. I'm in the dirt a lot so I could use a bit more articulation....but then I probably have to drive slower.....IDK
Sponsored