Accidentally separated ball joint...

TheAssuager

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supercrew XLT
I think I know what the answer is to this, but want to ask anyways. While replacing the front shocks on my Ranger this weekend - while removing the factory strut assembly - I accidentally popped off one of the ball links on the suspension stabilizer bar link. This part: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/suspension/chassis-parts/link-9345833-1#/partMatched?pdp=y

I was able to pop it back in with the help of a vice. Went right back into place with pressure and appeared and felt like it was 'seated' perfectly. I should still replace this part, right? I am imagining that when these ball joints 'pop' once, they are trash? At least, I am imagining that will be the advice/opinion of an experienced mechanic? Is the ball joint now weaker and requires replacement?

Thanks,
Sponsored

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I would have an extra on hand or be mentally prepared to have to buy one in the future. Ball joints are not meant to be removed from the socket, forced back in, and still function as they should. Heck it might be fine, just dont count on it.

positive note, they are pretty cheap to replace.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Same here on both sides...had a few minutes of agonizing panic struggles...but luckily both found it's spline and the day was saved...

smashpwnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger xlt
Occupation
self employed
Any tips on how to avoid them coming out in the first place?

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Just unbolt them from either end before lowering the control arm. Mine popped out during my level install and I had to pop mine back in. Over 25k miles since and still okay!

OP
OP
TheAssuager

TheAssuager

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supercrew XLT
Yes, as the guy above me said, you can just unbolt them. The reason I (and I would guess most others) is because we tried to unbolt the bare minimum to get the strut assembly out. If you do it this way, you will have to flex the whole suspension to get the strut assembly down and out - if that makes sense. It is worth it to take your time and undo one side of this stabilizer link, I think.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
@smashpwnage, as Jim and others have said, unfastening the anti-sway bar link is the way to go - makes it a lot easier and if only one side of the truck is jacked up at a time to swap the coil overs, the chances of popping it increase because of the torque being placed on the anti-sway bar.

If it pops, it should be fine as long as the boot is still sealed and has no rips or tears. Debris sliced one of mine and the joint eventually corroded and failed - it’s not a critical driving component, so it’s fine to drive without them - in fact, some folks replace the OEM links with a removable quick-release version for when they go off-road. When on-road, they help with lean and roll, so they put them back in place.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I replaced my sway bar links with a set from Dobinson's. The originals popped out when changing suspension. I popped it back in but somehow while out on the trail it popped back out and dangled there for who knows how long. I ended up bending the link while it was still attached to the sway bar. I was going pretty hard and must have popped it loose. I noticed it on Fins and Things. The day before I had spent two days on the White Rim trail. I think that is when I popped it.

https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-front-swaybar-link-set-ford-ranger-usa-model-2019-onwards/

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes...I found out afterwards, that removing the axle bolt and/or dislocating the lower arm from frame is a much easier and safer way to go...
Sponsored