Sure is lonely up here eh?

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Very nice look for the Ranger. I have used a open spoke wheel on my SUV's the past couple years. I was very frustrated with the wheels. We do a lot of back road driving and we get a lot of snow and blowing snow in my area. The open design allowed the snow to accumulate inside the wheel and cause a unbalance situation. I was for ever pulling over and trying to clean out the build up to allow me to drive at the posted speed with out my teeth chattering. This will be 1st winter in the Ranger and I just ordered a ugly steel wheel and hope this will not be an issue this winter.
My SUV had an open wheel design as well and occasionlly I encountered that problem as well. I got in the habit of when I cleaned the snow off the car, I would clean out anything in the spokes. During the winter I will keep the truck in the garage, preventing that from happening. I never had a problem with snow getting in the spokes while I was moving.

I did think about that when I was choosing it, but it was not a big problem in the past, once I was aware of the potential problem.

My daughter is driving home across the top of Lake Superior today and this was the snow in Marathon and they have more coming. There was snow in Wawa as well.

635FFE05-397B-473E-93B9-946AEC6724ED.jpeg
Sponsored

Jimmy637

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
My SUV had an open wheel design as well and occasionlly I encountered that problem as well. I got in the habit of when I cleaned the snow off the car, I would clean out anything in the spokes. During the winter I will keep the truck in the garage, preventing that from happening. I never had a problem with snow getting in the spokes while I was moving.

I did think about that when I was choosing it, but it was not a big problem in the past, once I was aware of the potential problem.

My daughter is driving home across the top of Lake Superior today and this was the snow in Marathon and they have more coming. There was snow in Wawa as well.

635FFE05-397B-473E-93B9-946AEC6724ED.jpeg
With respect to "I never had a problem with snow getting in the spokes while I was moving." i understand, the thing abut back roads is you sometime have to go through some heavy drifted areas and I noticed that is when the wheels picked most of the of the build up.

DSCF2552rsz.JPG

Last edited:

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did find this review from a customer on the hard cover. Looks like it could be a less expensive option than many others.

I actually would have purchased one of these, but they ran out of stock, just before I discovered them. Depending on what happens with the Extang cover, I still might.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Interesting, it looks damn near identical to my Extang solid fold 2.0, front clips are different, other than that pretty close. Certainly looks decent for the price on first glance:thumbsup:

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I did find this review from a customer on the hard cover. Looks like it could be a less expensive option than many others.

I actually would have purchased one of these, but they ran out of stock, just before I discovered them. Depending on what happens with the Extang cover, I still might.
Looks identical to the one I purchased from RDJ Trucks (rdjtrucks.com). Don’t know if they ship to Canada (normally free shipping for US). It is on sale for $598US and then there’s another 10% off if you use the code 10today. Says it’s a one day sale for the 10% off but it’s been up there for weeks.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got news my Extang cover should arrive in less than a week. I am looking forward to it.

The Bison cover was out of stock when I made my decision of what to buy and I will be happy with my Extang choice, but if you want an affordable hard cover in Canada, it may be a good choice for you.

I am just excited my Signature Series cover is on the way and should arrive before the snow flies.

Reactions: Doc

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Check out the Nokian Hakkapeliiitta R3 SUV. My go-to winter tire for driving in the mountains of Western Canada.
Agreed, absolutely fantastic tires. :thumbsup:

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT F+4
Agreed, absolutely fantastic tires. :thumbsup:
Just got back from driving to Vancouver and back from Vernon in one day on the worst winter conditions I’ve driven in. Took 14 hours. 7 there and 7 back. the stock AT MS tires do the job but thinking of getting some dedicated winters.
Had an original ranger back in the 2000,s and used the stocks year round on that then got a f150 and had ko2 which was alright but not impressed with the wearing on those.
Back end is too squirrelly with these light trucks and looses grip especially with the decent low end torque. Back end lost grip and started fishtailing multiple times. Could I use what I got and be more careful and be fine, probably. But getting too old to worry about that

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Just got back from driving to Vancouver and back from Vernon in one day on the worst winter conditions I’ve driven in. Took 14 hours. 7 there and 7 back. the stock AT MS tires do the job but thinking of getting some dedicated winters.
Had an original ranger back in the 2000,s and used the stocks year round on that then got a f150 and had ko2 which was alright but not impressed with the wearing on those.
Back end is too squirrelly with these light trucks and looses grip especially with the decent low end torque. Back end lost grip and started fishtailing multiple times. Could I use what I got and be more careful and be fine, probably. But getting too old to worry about that
Interesting.. did you have any extra weight in the back? How much extra weight would make an actual difference I wonder.

Bro in law lives on Silver Star MTN so appreciate your comments on how the stock tires were on the Coq.

I run the Nokian on my X3. Amazing tires hence why I'm looking at getting them for my new Ranger. It's too bad Kal is the only place to buy them which limits competition pricing.

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT F+4
Interesting.. did you have any extra weight in the back? How much extra weight would make an actual difference I wonder.

Bro in law lives on Silver Star MTN so appreciate your comments on how the stock tires were on the Coq.

I run the Nokian on my X3. Amazing tires hence why I'm looking at getting them for my new Ranger. It's too bad Kal is the only place to buy them which limits competition pricing.
I work at Silverstar in the winter so drive up and down from there almost everyday.
I didnt have any weight in the bed. Thinking of using 4 sandbags in the back which should help enough. Winters will
make a big difference I bet with the soft compound. The stock tires would be fine if there is fresh snow etc but aren’t good on compact snow or ice that’s for sure

Reactions: Doc

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will have to see how the Ranger does in the snow with winter tires. Most pickup truck drivers up here do not put extra weight in the back of their trucks and most put winter tires on.

Just driving up my steep long gravel driveway will be a test on it’s own.

No real snow in the 14 day forecast, just the odd flake.

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT F+4
So I ordered the American Racing AR915 winter wheels and the Toyo Observe Si6’s today. I get them installed on October 30th and will take pics then.

I did research the Nokian tires and they are excellent tires, but there are no local dealers (Kal Tire) in my area and theIr website did not offer up any matching wheels.

i will be extremely happy with the Toyo’s and the wheels will look far better than the steelies. The winter wheels are on your truck for 5+ months.

One thing about the AR915’s, you also have to order hub rings ($20) and different wheel nuts than the OEM ones.

EB14ED1E-7223-487F-B550-B8533FE22A0C.jpeg
Looking forward to the pics once installed?

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward to the pics once installed?
I look forwarded to seeing them as well this Friday.

Back in 2007 while vacationing in Vernon, I stood in the Highlands Subdivision in Coldstream and fell in love with this view. I wanted to sell my place and move there right away. It didn’t happen, but it was my screen saver for a few years.

2199DAA0-CD39-42BA-978C-6C45A5C88D08.jpeg

Ajbaxter

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Photographer
Typical winter driving in the Rocky Mountains of Alberta and British Columbia, Canada. Photo is from 1 week ago. Running dedicated winter tires : Nokian Hakkapeliiitta R3 SUV plus 255 pounds of sand in the truck bed.
19C6EFF4-4629-4C94-B09B-F93F675A59B8.jpeg
Sponsored