RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Throw me in with the STX crowd! Honestly, the FX4 was the big selling point for me. I'm not too worried about a big screen, long as it's readable. The only thing I really wanted that doesn't come on a XL is the adaptive cruise control.

All in all, in today's market, a 33K 4x4 off road package truck is almost a steal!

Funny side note, my dad was annoyed when I told I'm picked a base model until he saw what's included. He was amazed that it was basically an XLT without the badging...
I've never had adaptive cruise before and for me, that is a killer feature. I have to admit, I kind of went off the deep end with my truck, but since I'm old now and it is my daily driver, I wanted some creature comforts.

In some ways I think Ford did a great job of doing the different levels, but in other ways, it is absolutely all about upselling you to a higher trim level. But I'm really happy with my Lariat. I do like the look of the STX though! Wasn't sure about the wheels but after seeing them in person, I kind of like them.
Sponsored

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
I've never had adaptive cruise before and for me, that is a killer feature. I have to admit, I kind of went off the deep end with my truck, but since I'm old now and it is my daily driver, I wanted some creature comforts.

In some ways I think Ford did a great job of doing the different levels, but in other ways, it is absolutely all about upselling you to a higher trim level. But I'm really happy with my Lariat. I do like the look of the STX though! Wasn't sure about the wheels but after seeing them in person, I kind of like them.
With adaptive, I'm not entirely sure I would use it too terribly much. My drive to work is in heavy traffic with several stop lights, and when I go home (Montana), I am mostly taking freeways. It would be cool to have it on the two lane highways so I can just "set and forget" it.

I can understand why people go for Lariats. Luxury, gadgets, and all that jazz. It just ain't me. My wife had an MDX with leather, navigation, premium audio, power seats, sunroof, etc. ad nauseum... We both hated it. Ditched it for a Gen 2 Tacoma in less than 6 months. Climate control was nice, and the heated seats made my wife happy (they always make my but uncomfortable :S) but we prefer simplicity. It's a shame there aren't more midsize trucks that come kitted out with great offroad packages and standard interiors!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
With adaptive, I'm not entirely sure I would use it too terribly much. My drive to work is in heavy traffic with several stop lights, and when I go home (Montana), I am mostly taking freeways. It would be cool to have it on the two lane highways so I can just "set and forget" it.

I can understand why people go for Lariats. Luxury, gadgets, and all that jazz. It just ain't me. My wife had an MDX with leather, navigation, premium audio, power seats, sunroof, etc. ad nauseum... We both hated it. Ditched it for a Gen 2 Tacoma in less than 6 months. Climate control was nice, and the heated seats made my wife happy (they always make my but uncomfortable :S) but we prefer simplicity. It's a shame there aren't more midsize trucks that come kitted out with great offroad packages and standard interiors!
The adaptive cruise is VERY useful. I used it on a drive to the beach a few weeks ago in traffic. I only touched the brake a few times. I thought it was going to be good, but after using it, it is REALLY good. The first few times I used it I was really nervous, especially when I was coming up to someone, but it worked PERFECTLY.

We took my truck for a VERY wet hike (we actually had snow mixed with rain when we got back to the truck), and the seat warmers felt REALLY good on the trip home. I don't use them too much, but occasionally they do feel good.

I kind of wish you could do more choices on the truck. There is stuff on the Lariat I don't think I will ever use, but it would be nice to mix and match a bit more. But then Ford wouldn't get its premium for the higher trims.

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
The adaptive cruise is VERY useful. I used it on a drive to the beach a few weeks ago in traffic. I only touched the brake a few times. I thought it was going to be good, but after using it, it is REALLY good. The first few times I used it I was really nervous, especially when I was coming up to someone, but it worked PERFECTLY.

We took my truck for a VERY wet hike (we actually had snow mixed with rain when we got back to the truck), and the seat warmers felt REALLY good on the trip home. I don't use them too much, but occasionally they do feel good.

I kind of wish you could do more choices on the truck. There is stuff on the Lariat I don't think I will ever use, but it would be nice to mix and match a bit more. But then Ford wouldn't get its premium for the higher trims.
See, in traffic I just drive. Its an automatic, so it's easy. I'd rather have complete control, then relegate driving to steering. I feel like I wouldn't keep focus on the road as well. Hell, I KNOW I wouldn't, cuz I get that syndrome on the freeway. Though autopilot is a bit safer when you can see for 10 miles.

I had heated seats in my Silverado when stationed in Montana. Even when it was -50 for a month, I didn't use the heated seats. I imagine I'm in the minority, but I just don't find it comfortable!
Sponsored