First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Weird OP didn't mention this has happened before and that there was an accident, which caused damage to the steering system.
Sponsored

OP
OP

zaashf

Weird OP didn't mention this has happened before and that there was an accident, which caused damage to the steering system.
Yeah I go that issue resolved. New steering wheel and bolt. But yeah it might be some related latent issue.

If it is absolutely locked in place like it is welded, that's probably in the steering column.

If it seems to budge a little bit, Rangers like most newer vehicles have electric power steering rather than hydraulic. the EPS can be harder to turn with no power that the old hydraulic PS was, but it will turn with high effort.

I don't know if the remote/app start has some sort of feature that locks the steering electronically until you turn the key to ON, but you might try repeating the process of starting the truck from the remote or Ford Pass app, & turn the key to ON, and see if it clears.
Actually it happened again this morning. It’s almost as if the car needs to warm up before the steering came alive. Maybe it is an issue of starting up in cold weather. It’s been in the single digits in the mornings here in KY.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah I go that issue resolved. New steering wheel and bolt. But yeah it might be some related latent issue.

Actually it happened again this morning. It’s almost as if the car needs to warm up before the steering came alive. Maybe it is an issue of starting up in cold weather. It’s been in the single digits in the mornings here in KY.
That isn't normal.

I'd inspect, or have your entire steering system inspected.

Steering is 100% a safety item. Get it fixed.

Ford has sold hundreds of thousands of these trucks, the steering absolutely works in single digit weather.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I've never had a steering issue while cold.

OP, can you override it? or is it jammed stuck?

Makes me wonder if at some point you had a boot issue on steering mechanism and water was able to penetrate. that would be the only plausible cause of freezing now when it's cold.

Might be a long shot but maybe the housing cracked after the first oops last year?
This would be my first guess.

Crack in the metal, or a tear in a boot.

But without knowing what happened and what has already been replaced, I'd be guessing.

OP
OP

zaashf

Makes me wonder if at some point you had a boot issue on steering mechanism and water was able to penetrate. that would be the only plausible cause of freezing now when it's cold.

Might be a long shot but maybe the housing cracked after the first oops last year?
Got underneath today and checked out the steering components and everything seems fine on the outside, just like last time. Boots are intact, tie rods and steering gear look fine to me. Haven't had the issue since the last time and the steering works fine. I also haven't been remote starting in the morning because it's warmed up in KY. Going to the dealership on Thursday to have it checked out. I'm guessing something in the steering column again

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
Tried disconnecting battery > 15 minutes? my first electrical gremlin step...
:LOL: …I was on a flight that did that.
“Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the ongoing delay. We’re going to shut down and restart the aircraft to attemp to correct the problem…”
Did it work? Yes.
Confidence inspiring? Not so much.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
:LOL: …I was on a flight that did that.
“Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the ongoing delay. We’re going to shut down and restart the aircraft to attemp to correct the problem…”
Did it work? Yes.
Confidence inspiring? Not so much.
Was it an Airbus? Because that is an approved procedure.
sometimes in order to reset the flight control computers you need to completely remove electrical power and get zero oil pressure.

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
Was it an Airbus? Because that is an approved procedure.
sometimes in order to reset the flight control computers you need to completely remove electrical power and get zero oil pressure.
Bombardier Q400.
Perhaps approved procedure here as well, but I just envisioned every minimum wage tier 1 tech on the planet reading script that asks “Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in”? :LOL:

Dhass68

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Brake and Suspension mechanic

I was wondering about a cracked rack as well

OP
OP

zaashf

Took it to the dealership yesterday and they said everything looks fine. They tried to duplicate the issue with remote start but couldn’t. That’s what the service paperwork also said. However I did find a battery health printout in my cup holders that they didn’t mention to me or mentioned in the paperwork.

You guys think a low voltage would prevent the electronic steering from working? Also what does a steering wheel with no power feel like? Would it feel like the steering wheel is locked up? Or would it still turn but just really difficult? Maybe that’s why it self-resolved after like 20 minutes? Because the battery had charged up

image.jpg

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Never had to steer mine with the power off, so I'm not sure what it feels like.
common sense would say there might be resistance, but nothing you cant over ride with strong man arms created with a damper-less tailgate.
Pretty sure the 2019 owner's manual would be worded similarly, this is from the 2021:

Attachments

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I've driven non power assisted steering vehicles, as well as failed hydraulic ones. I know what they are like, but no idea what these will feel like.

I have to go pick up a pizza shortly...i'm wondering if i should shut my truck off and see what happens.....hmmmmm
Disconnect your damper first, though.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
i suppose it could be a factor...but that's a scary thought....lets shut down an important part of your vehicles control system....i would rather they shut off my radios and interior lighting ...but hey...Ford makes some wonderful decisions at times when setting up electronic thingies.

Never had to steer mine with the power off, so I'm not sure what it feels like.
common sense would say there might be resistance, but nothing you cant over ride with strong man arms created with a damper-less tailgate.
Hi Folks,

There are several test procedures for power steering failure...The vehicle must still be driveable without power assist, including aggressive lane change, accident avoidance etc. If power loss resulted in steering lockup, it would have to be diagnosed, fixed and retested until the vehicle with no power assist passed the various tests. Ford does not just hope and pray that the steering will work with no power assist...

Best,
Phil
Sponsored