Strange volume control behavior?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I don't have WAZE but I did find out that the phone/voice controlled volumes only adjusts when in phone/ voice control mode on my truck.
Once I discovered that, the problem of radio vs communications volumes went away.

Last edited:

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
I had the same issue, volume control was stuck in the "prompt volume" mode.
After many tries at rebooting my iphone and sync 3 and plugging and unplugging my iphone, I spent 2 hours on google and came up empty, at last I came to this forum (shudda come here in the first place) and caught this thread. I deleted WAZE from my iPhone and all is now as it shud be. BTW, I had never used WAZE. Many thanks to those who recommended this fix.

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
As many have pointed out - it’s a waze issue. They recently updated their app (5/6) and it’s broken something within CarPlay. Deleting waze will fix it and waze will release an update that fixes it at some point.
However - there is a work around if you don’t want to delete waze. You’ll need to do it every time though. Connect to car play, and make a call from within CarPlay. While it’s ringing - adjust the volume and it’ll force sync into “phone volume” mode. When you hang up - it goes to “audio volume” mode which will temporarily give you normal audio control backs. You’ll have to do this every time you turn the engine off though.

JohnUSA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I've been plagued with this for the past week, or so. I just deleted Waze, and now I've got volume control back. Hope it sticks.

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Same here... started happening last week after the Waze update. Once plugged in just open and close the Waze app on the phone and the volume starts working again. Probably going to delete Waze for a while until they get a fix

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
I got a reply from Waze this morning. May help if we all submit a report in the app.

Hi Tyler,
Thanks for contacting us about audio volume control issues you are experiencing while connected to CarPlay.
Please know that this is an on going issue.
To assist further with this issue, we'd like to ask you to reproduce the issue while in our debug mode and submit the report logs. Set Waze to debug mode and send logs when you follow the steps below:
  1. Make sure your device isn't connected to your CarPlay unit.
  2. Tap the Menu.
  3. Search for 2##2 in the Search bar.
  4. Close Waze.
  5. Connect your mobile phone to your CarPlay unit.
  6. Reproduce the issue.
  7. Disconnect your mobile device from your CarPlay unit.
  8. Open Waze again. Tap Reports and tap the bee.
*To disable debug mode, search again for 2##2 in the Search bar.
Additionally, please make sure to write us here when you submit your logs and send the following information:
  • Your username
  • The date and time you sent the logs
  • The date and time you reproduced the issue
  • The steps you took to reproduce this issue
  • A screenshot (if relevant)
To learn more about using Waze for CarPlay, you can read this article.
If you still have questions, feel free to reply and I’d be happy to help.
Best,
Mavis
Waze Support Team

MillerLite87

First Name
Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
As many have pointed out - it’s a waze issue. They recently updated their app (5/6) and it’s broken something within CarPlay. Deleting waze will fix it and waze will release an update that fixes it at some point.
However - there is a work around if you don’t want to delete waze. You’ll need to do it every time though. Connect to car play, and make a call from within CarPlay. While it’s ringing - adjust the volume and it’ll force sync into “phone volume” mode. When you hang up - it goes to “audio volume” mode which will temporarily give you normal audio control backs. You’ll have to do this every time you turn the engine off though.
All I do is hit the menu until Siri pops out than I just disable it and I can adjust volume again

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Information Technology
Thanks, I started experiencing this on Monday morning. The only thing that works for me any my coworker (2019 Escape) is uninstalling WAZE. Couldn't find anything on google, Its been driving me crazy for days. I should of came here first.

V8VOL

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2014 Mustang GT, 2011 Raptor SCAB
Happening here as well. My solution has been to trigger the voice activation, say "hello", siri responds, and then I get my volume control back. I am a heavy Waze user.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Information Technology
Happening here as well. My solution has been to trigger the voice activation, say "hello", siri responds, and then I get my volume control back. I am a heavy Waze user.
Yeah? I'm not able to get it to go way at all unless I uninstall.

Clegghorn33

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I have had this happen two times now and its become a bit of a nuisance. For this to happen I have to have my phone attached through USB using car play, then using the Waze app while also listening to SiriusXM and then receive a phone call. But once I hang up the phone call, the volume adjust knob gets stuck to "Prompt volume" when i go to turn the music up. I click home, go back into audio tab and no matter what it stays wanting to control "Prompt Volume". SO i will be driving down the road with no way to adjust the stereo volume. The only way i have found to fix this is to disconnect the USB cord and reconnect to the phone and it appears to reset itself.

Anyone had anything similar happen? Perhaps I am self creating the environment for this to happen by my lack of knowledge of all buttons?
I am having the same problem. I can’t adjust the volume when I use Apple Car Play however if I disconnect my phone and play my music through BT then it lets me adjust the audio. It’s seriously annoying

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
The only thing that worked for me was deleting Waze from my phone. I'll use the native iPhone navigation and call it good.

Scottopia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '11 GMC Acadia, '03 HD VRod
Occupation
Grand Sovereign Monarch of Scottopia
Vehicle Showcase
I have joined this wonderful club. Started 2 days ago. When checking Waze, I ALSO noticed that the update changed my user name to my email... not good. Lucky I have not been driving much.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Latest reply:

Dear Wazer,

We appreciate you letting us know about this issue. We’re constantly working to improve Waze, whether it's fixing bugs or releasing new features.

I'm happy to tell you that the issue you have reported has already been fixed and should be running smoothly in our next version release. Please be sure to download the next version once it is available in the app store.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Thanks,
The Waze Support Team
Sponsored