Strange things in four wheel drive

coolmannorm

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I have a 2020 Ranger with the fx4 package and I just noticed a issue when I have it in four wheel drive and I am turning sharp like to park in a parking spot the vehicle almost stalls it slows to a crawl mid turn then stops itself if you don't push on the gas. Anyone having this issue or is it normal?
Sponsored

OP
OP

coolmannorm

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I have been using it in 4 high last few days in town because its been raining a lot and my rear tires need to be replaced due to tread depth and I don't want to hydroplane.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Rangers are a true 4x4 vehicle. Not all-wheel drive. When 4H or 4L is engaged the front and rear wheels cannot turn at different speeds. 4x4 is only for use on loose/slippery surfaces. Do not use it on dry roadways.

What you experienced is driveline wind-up or binding. This can break expensive drivetrain components.

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Four wheel drive should not be used on bare pavement. There needs to be some ability to slip.

See your owners manual.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I have been using it in 4 high last few days in town because its been raining a lot and my rear tires need to be replaced due to tread depth and I don't want to hydroplane.
At the very least then turn it off when you're trying to park, etc. But, you should replace your tires so you don't have to replace truck parts that break.

OP
OP

coolmannorm

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I'm getting my tires replaced tomorrow I won't be using it in 4wd anymore do y'all think I could have messed something up and I should get it checked out?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I'm getting my tires replaced tomorrow I won't be using it in 4wd anymore do y'all think I could have messed something up and I should get it checked out?
Could you have? Sure. But you probably didn't unless you were raw dogging it. I somehow put mine into 4H while in a parking lot and had the same thing happen, but I realized it instantly and turned it off. You'd probably know if something happened and I don't know how one would inspect for that kind of damage... but I'm not a mechanic.

OP
OP

coolmannorm

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
and lay off the burnouts
one day your money will be important and you wont piss it away
Mine was because the people who owned it before me never balanced or rotated on a schedule I don't think they ever did because my front tires have virtually no tread wear lol

Last edited:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Mine was because the people who owned it before me never balanced or rotated on a schedule I don't think they ever did because my front tires have virtually no tread lol
It's sad that some people have no idea how to keep a 40K vehicle up. Common sense just ain't that common anymore. As far as hurting anything, if there isn't any funny noises while driver normal I would think you're good to go.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This is yet again another example of why I avoid used vehicles.
Carvana! Just wait a few months and we should see a whole bunch of used vehicles with problems out there.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Guaranteed!
Ones that people paid more for than the MSRP.
Which is a large percentage of them. Hopefully they do a CarFax on them but if someone did the repairs themself it'll never show up.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Which is a large percentage of them. Hopefully they do a CarFax on them but if someone did the repairs themself it'll never show up.
I got hit in the rear end a while back (not my ranger) and did some very minor damage (still costed $2500) paid by the other guys insurance. Cops came and didn't even make a report. I was worried it would show up on carfax since it was an insurance claim, but it never did.
Sponsored