David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a fan of the anti-theft screw method for tail light/tailgate security, but I really like OC4095's simple but brilliant tail light/tailgate theft deterrent, and in my usual fashion of over-thinking things, I built on his idea and came up with this 18ga plate that sandwiches between the tailgate handle and the lock mechanism. It spans the entire length of the tailgate handle. I don't know how OC4095 attached his, I thought about simply epoxying It to the inside of the tailgate skin, but I'm a big fan of mechanical fasteners so it's secured with the 2 torx screws that hold the lock mechanism & the handle together. It looks like hell, but It's a prototype that's seen a bit of massaging to work around the Huracan storage box I've got. An unmodified tailgate would use a simpler flat plate.

I did remove the locking dog from the key cylinder as OC4095 did with his. I had to file the underside of the lever arm that the handle actuates so it wouldn't rub on the blocking plate, and form (read 'hammer') part of the plate to clear the arm as well. Thinner metal could have been used but I wanted it to be stout, thyough it doesn't have to be 18ga.

I am really surprised no one has marketed this idea (as far as I know) but it would surely be adaptable to many makes of trucks/SUVs with similar lock mechanisms. SInce OC4095 put his idea on display, I'll do the same. If anybody wants a dxf or step file of this I'll be more than happy to post a link to download it from my Google Drive.

EDIT: Updated the drawings to reflect final mods for the unmodified tailgate version of my 'Gate-Plate'.

XWqJlwwm.jpg
OLO4lh4m.jpg
f0Xv3F3m.jpg
mVmFUnam.jpg
I'm humbled. Thank You.

I dont remember how i attached it. Maybe liquid nail or RTV, not sure.
Sponsored