Step Rail Lights

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, black package
Yes, drilled holes in them. Then repainted so no future rusting.
Any time you drill holes into support structures or frames, you weaken its engineered integrity. Just keep an eye on it for rust and bending. It looks great though.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

Yes, drilled holes in them. Then repainted so no future rusting.
Any time you drill holes into support structures or frames, you weaken its engineered integrity. Just keep an eye on it for rust and bending. It looks great though.
Yeah, I had the same concern. I'm not sure how wide those arms are, but once you drill a hole through them, especially one that large, you substantially reduce the strength and stiffness. I'm sure you won't have problems with regular stepping use. But the max load they can take has certainly been reduced. Just something to keep in mind.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I had the same concern. I'm not sure how wide those arms are, but once you drill a hole through them, especially one that large, you substantially reduce the strength and stiffness. I'm sure you won't have problems with regular stepping use. But the max load they can take has certainly been reduced. Just something to keep in mind.
Hi Matt,

I thought the same thing and do not plan to drill a large hole like that ¾" in the support brackets, so even though I have them ordered...until I figure out another way to mount the lights they will sit and collect dust in the shop.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Jeffjloven

Jeffjloven

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Obviously it’s up to your discretion but I felt a hole that size, based on the width of each mount wouldn't make much of a difference. After all was said and done, I see no difference. I can stand on the rail and bounce up and down without any issues. At the end of the day, I see the step rails as cosmetic anyways, I'm 6 feet tall and don't ever need them to get in and out of the truck. Occasionally my wife and kids will step on them but their weight surely won't be a factor.

Last edited:

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Matt,

I thought the same thing and do not plan to drill a large hole like that ¾" in the support brackets, so even though I have them ordered...until I figure out another way to mount the lights they will sit and collect dust in the shop.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
What if you mount the lights to a painted strip of 1/4 inch aluminum bar, then mount it to the step or just above?

Dustoff262

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Obviously its up your discretion but I felt a hole that size, based on the width of each mount wouldn't make much of a difference. After all was said and done, I see no difference. I can stand on the rail and bounce up and down without any issues. At the end of the day, I see the step rails as cosmetic anyways, I'm 6 feet tall and don't ever need them to get in and out of the truck. Occasionally my wife and kids will step on them but their weight surely won't be a factor.
Not necessarily the initial weight you should be concerned about, but the eventual wear and tear, weathering and expansion vs contraction that occurs with metal in different temperatures. You may never see the hairline cracks but usually its sudden when it finally gives way.

OP
OP
Jeffjloven

Jeffjloven

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Not necessarily the initial weight you should be concerned about, but the eventual wear and tear, weathering and expansion vs contraction that occurs with metal in different temperatures. You may never see the hairline cracks but usually its sudden when it finally gives way.
Well if and when that day ever comes... I’ll just have to buy another set of step rails ;) or just remove them and go for a whole new look!

E74B2A9F-3C6A-4254-B185-94479E4D4324.jpeg

09DA434D-1FAF-4AFB-B1BB-435A4B40F545.jpeg

Last edited:

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you are over thinking it a little. The "ribs" are taking the brunt of the applied weight as it is shaped like a C channel and even bent to add more rigidity. The bracket has not been weakened unless it was not corrosion protected. I am not an engineer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn one time! :giggle:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you are over thinking it a little. The "ribs" are taking the brunt of the applied weight as it is shaped like a C channel and even bent to add more rigidity. The bracket has not been weakened unless it was not corrosion protected. I am not an engineer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn one time! :giggle:
Hi Doug,

After looking at my brackets, I am in agreement that Jeff did not weaken the brackets at all..they are very robust and a ¾" hole will have minimal effect on the load carrying of these brackets. When I receive mine I will have no worry on drilling these holes in the brackets.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

Deleted member 1634

Hi Doug,

After looking at my brackets, I am in agreement that Jeff did not weaken the brackets at all..they are very robust and a ¾" hole will have minimal effect on the load carrying of these brackets. When I receive mine I will have no worry on drilling these holes in the brackets.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired.
Well, as an engineer who basically does this kind of analysis for a living, I can tell you that there will definitely be a reduction in strength. But as @P. A. Schilke noted, the arm is much wider than I thought. So it will reduce the strength, just not be as much as I had originally thought. OP should be fine for normal and even slight abusive loads for the duration of the trucks life.

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
That is a very nice set up. My step are not Ford but Westin Traxx 5. They come with a plastic over over the bracket, so that is where I'd drill a whole. My question is what power did you tap?
Kris

WilliamP

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
I did the same thing but ran wires up to parking light wires so they are on whenever my parking lights are on

6C00E986-7D48-4D53-916A-882E375B59EA.jpeg
May I ask which wire was the parking lights? I bought step lights that have turn signal, courtesy, and parking lights but I can't for the life of me figure out which wire are the parking lights and the turn signal lights.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job...here's mine on sliders...adds that extra margin of safety at intersections...

IMG_7503.JPG
Sponsored